Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lil' rad  (Read 1063 times)

bluebuss

• france
    • View Profile
lil' rad
« on: 21 May 2010, 22:46:43 »

found a little radiator under the wing on my 2.5td omega.
is it good that the fan on it is jammed solid????
how does this effect the car..... :-/

anyone??? :(
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 23:02:24 by unlucky »

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: lil' rad
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2010, 23:07:13 »

Is that the intercooler rad?

A seized fan will cause one of the fuses for the radiator cooling fans to blow which will then cause overheating problems.

The lack of air through the intercooler will cause most problems at low speeds. Don't know if it will merely reduce power or cause clouds of black smoke on full throttle :-/
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

bluebuss

• france
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2010, 23:10:32 »

thankyou, i think its been like it for a while, even before i was given the car. ther does'nt seem to be any adverse effect, temp ok, no exccess smoke and fuel consom' ok. will whip it off and see if i can free it off....nice one. ;D

bluebuss

• france
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2010, 23:19:19 »

could this of caused the air con to blow also? before i was given the car i was told that if i put the aircon on it will blow all the fuses??? :o

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2010, 09:23:02 »

The fans for engine cooling and air-con are linked & there is a guide somewhere on how to test them using a connector in the fuse box but I can't find it in the index >:(

The nearest I can find at the moment is Engine Bay Relay Box layout

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2010, 10:45:17 »

Right.

This is the intercooler fan.

Vauxhall, in their wisdom, decided this will only come on with the cooling fans.

BMW in their denser wisdom decided the engine needed a stupid, pointless, noisey, expensive, unreliable, 1960s technology viscous fan, which ensures that electric fans rarely come on.

So, solution. Free off the intercooler (turn by hand, then apply 12v directly to it for a few hours).  Rip out the viscous 'bhp sapper' (and the rad cowling) and store it upright (on the unlikely assumption it still works right).  Then the leccy fans come on a bit more, and the intercooler doesn't seize.

If you are going to tow, may be worth popping viscous back on for your holiday.
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2010, 10:59:06 »

Vauxhall, in their wisdom, decided this will only come on with the cooling fans.

As well as being triggered by the thermoswitch in the end of the radiator the cooling fans also come on at half speed when you turn the A/C on.

[question for Jaime] Does the A/C switch bring on the intercooler fan as well? If so a  seized intercooler fan could well be the cause the fuse blowing.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 13:39:57 by andyh »

bluebuss

• france
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2010, 22:32:14 »

what a difference that's made to the car.
ripped out the old aircon rad as well. compresser has been seized a while before i got it. disconnected with a nice rusty pulley.
quiet and more poke......well a little more. gearbox is behaving differently. actually used fourth gear, which is new normally it glides across fourth and straight into the torq conv' lock up.
anyhow thanks a million. the viscous fan is worth a fortune over here in france............errrr  ebay? ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2010, 09:32:42 »

As well as being triggered by the thermoswitch in the end of the radiator the cooling fans also come on at half speed when you turn the A/C on.

[question for Jaime] Does the A/C switch bring on the intercooler fan as well? If so a  seized intercooler fan could well be the cause the fuse blowing.
A/C will not bring on i/c fan.

sometimes it blows the (20A?) fuse in the relay box, sometimes it doesn't. Never worked that one out, as I would expect it to always blow.  :-/
Grumpy old man

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2010, 09:56:04 »

sometimes it blows the (20A?) fuse in the relay box, sometimes it doesn't. Never worked that one out, as I would expect it to always blow.  :-/
i wired the fan into the ac fans + removed over sized hair dryer(viscous).
I had to put visc back on on saturday temp started touching 100 wife (extra weight ;D)  +brats went to beach ac-fans couldn't cope ::) ;D.
slightly cooler today so its coming off :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2010, 09:59:33 »

I had to put visc back on on saturday temp started touching 100 wife (extra weight ;D)  +brats went to beach ac-fans couldn't cope ::) ;D.
You have a cooling system fault you need to resolve - viscous may be needed for towing in hot weather, but not for just running around.

100C is *WAY* too hot, as in reality that is 110C (the gauge lies) which is the limit BMW state for the engine before HGs/heads fail.
Grumpy old man

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2010, 11:30:13 »

You have a cooling system fault you need to resolve - viscous may be needed for towing in hot weather, but not for just running around.

100C is *WAY* too hot, as in reality that is 110C (the gauge lies) which is the limit BMW state for the engine before HGs/heads fail.
water pump getting changed today and a new copper/brass rad next month :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2010, 11:38:01 »

Don't neglect oil.  Remember these are 4.5k MAXIMUM service interval.  3k is really about the most you can leave it before changing oil if you care about it...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2010, 11:39:31 »

I should add, for clairity, the oil in TDs is a critical part of the cooling system - for example, the cylinders/pistons are cooled via oil jets at the bottom of the cylinders...
Grumpy old man

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2010, 16:50:43 »

Don't neglect oil.  Remember these are 4.5k MAXIMUM service interval.  3k is really about the most you can leave it before changing oil if you care about it...[/quote]

I change oil every 2 months I bought 100L 10-40(diesel) fully synthetic from a garage sale :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.