Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding steel  (Read 7317 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Welding steel
« on: 07 August 2015, 10:54:47 »

Can anyone recommend somewhere that will supply steel offcuts , just need some to start my welding practising . Box section offcuts ect  :-\ Prices on egay are for new steel lengths and extortionate just for a 6ft length  :( 
Omegatitis

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Re: Welding steel
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2015, 13:38:08 »

No worries , i found a stock pile of box section locally  :y
Omegatitis

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2015, 11:29:35 »

Well i have an omega rear door to practice my welds on ,
going to angle grind some squares out of door an see if i can weld
them back in seamlessly  ;D
Omegatitis

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2015, 12:49:01 »

I don't know how much welding you've done Steve but trying in a car door (exactly as I did) is a bad idea. It's too thin. And I struggle on thin stuff even now.

Go to J E Matthews in Northampton and spend £20 and they'll give you a big bag of steel to practise on. Assuming this is MIG then start with 3mm

:y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2015, 15:40:06 »

I don't know how much welding you've done Steve but trying in a car door (exactly as I did) is a bad idea. It's too thin. And I struggle on thin stuff even now.

Go to J E Matthews in Northampton and spend £20 and they'll give you a big bag of steel to practise on. Assuming this is MIG then start with 3mm

None  ;D

Got to pick up some box section in the week for practising on too . Its arc , you should have been able to weld the door with mig surely  ??? I know arc's not really for bodywork but it is possible with correct settings and rods , i bought it for making stuff out of box section mainly and thicker steel  :y
Omegatitis

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2015, 19:13:35 »

None  ;D

Got to pick up some box section in the week for practising on too . Its arc , you should have been able to weld the door with mig surely  ??? I know arc's not really for bodywork but it is possible with correct settings and rods , i bought it for making stuff out of box section mainly and thicker steel  :y

Erm, no! Lol  ;D ;) the problem is that there's so many people on all sorts of forums (referring to welding forums, not OOF before someone throws their toys out) who make out they're billy big shit and say stuff like 'you'll pick up MIG and be welding like a pro in 30 minutes'. Well I can tell ya, perhaps there are people like that but after 6 months of welding most days I was just getting to grips with it.

Even now I still can't weld thin car body stuff (the stuff is about 0.6mm). I welded some parts of a Nissan micra and it looked shit.

As for doing arc/stick welding on car bodywork . . . I've never seen it done. Usually that's reserved fir the thick stuff or so I thought. Though perhaps it's possible? No idea.

Post up the pics of your attempts mate and hopefully they'll look better than my chicken shit attempts when I first started!  ;D

Ps I still weld but lately it's only been bearing races (weld them up and knock them out with a hammer) that's good fun dos you can turn the settings to max and put loooooads of heat through it
RIP Paul Lovejoy

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2015, 20:16:01 »

A lot of it is down to the teacher, the setup of the welder, the materials and the preparation.

My first (& only to date) weld was a repair on the end of a chassis leg of a MX5. I am talking about 3 x 4 inch piece of plate. With the right setup and teaching, I went from crap to acceptable in that one repair piece. Granted, if I picked up a torch now, I'd be making the same mistakes I did then, wrong angle, not tack then filling etc; Thick stuff is always easier to weld, 3/4mm wall will pretty much allow you to keep a constant weld in one. You need to look at all the different types of weld as well. By that I mean plug, seam are two examples I am aware of.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2015, 20:34:51 »

Yep exactly that. I'm clearly just a slow learner  ;D

You got butt welds, flat, horizontal, overhead etc. so many different things and the thing about it is even if you do get a quality weld. . . You still might not have the penetration which is key especially if welding something critical. I personally would never weld anything critical (I.e. Jack stands as I'm know I'm not that good lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2015, 20:48:07 »

Only critical thing ill be welding is a shoe rack for now  ::) ;D

Ive studied the online vids and seems you can weld anything with any welder given experience  :-\ Think im right in saying if you can stick weld then mig weld is easier ... im use to seeing how its done when years ago my mk5 cortina was welded up most weeks from a mechanic friend  ;D
Omegatitis

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2015, 21:20:55 »

The FiL is currently welding the garage door frame for me. He's a retired mechanic/body repairer and welder (peace work). I hope to learn a lot from him, because he has been there and done that. Currently the garage door frame is being built out of 2x4 inch 3mm wall box section in a H around the door. With a frame above the door to taken 8x4ft sheets and other security measures to make sure the door is as good as I, sorry he can make it.

I get the off cuts  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2015, 21:42:23 »

If you are learning to weld, in any shape or form, use clean unpainted metal with a good clean earth point, otherwise it will frustrate the hell out of you when you get bad results.
It's all about controlling the pooling, regardless of what weld method you are using. Arc is better suited to angle iron/box section (cleaned off in area of weld). Only thing to control with Arc is the heat setting so relatively straight-forward, but when you are new to it the rod is long and awkward, your hand will shake and you will have the desire to waggle the stick all over the place.  Get the heat right for the material thickness , a steady hand, a good clean clamping point, a crisp constant crackle and you will be sorted.  :y After twenty odd years of welding on a daily basis (doing a different job now), if it doesn't sound right, it ain't welding right.  :y
Dirty metal can make a good welder look poor, but then again a good welder would know this.

Good luck, you'll get there eventually.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2015, 22:05:45 »

If you are learning to weld, in any shape or form, use clean unpainted metal with a good clean earth point, otherwise it will frustrate the hell out of you when you get bad results.
It's all about controlling the pooling, regardless of what weld method you are using. Arc is better suited to angle iron/box section (cleaned off in area of weld). Only thing to control with Arc is the heat setting so relatively straight-forward, but when you are new to it the rod is long and awkward, your hand will shake and you will have the desire to waggle the stick all over the place.  Get the heat right for the material thickness , a steady hand, a good clean clamping point, a crisp constant crackle and you will be sorted.  :y After twenty odd years of welding on a daily basis (doing a different job now), if it doesn't sound right, it ain't welding right.  :y
Dirty metal can make a good welder look poor, but then again a good welder would know this.

Good luck, you'll get there eventually.  :y

Thats what i did take note of mate  :y Crackle , thats a good tip too .

Webbythewelder
Post up the pics of your attempts mate and hopefully they'll look better than my chicken shit attempts when I first started!  ;D

Yes i mite even make a metal bear  :D
Omegatitis

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2015, 09:50:48 »

Arc is quite a different technique to MIG, far more to fiddle with on the MIG  :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2015, 13:19:04 »

Arc is quite a different technique to MIG, far more to fiddle with on the MIG  :y

Will do a bit of stick testing on Wednesday . There's a mig welder going for 99p  ::) but its been stored a few years so wonder if its any good  :-\ More stuff to go wrong on a mig welder , feed wheel , wire lead , tips and shrouds , flux core , gas gasless ... think i remember webby saying the little gas bottles dont last long so maybe go for flux core gasless mig which i think this one is :-\
Omegatitis

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2015, 13:21:36 »

No point in going for a flux cored one, you might as well use stick!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2015, 13:23:24 »

The hobby bottles lasted long enough for my purposes. Some one on 'ere recommended bottles that had twice the usual capacity and these worked fine for me  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2015, 13:24:17 »

No point in going for a flux cored one, you might as well use stick!

Yeah think im jumping the gun a bit as it was tempting price  :y Guess ill burn through the omega door with stick but ill have a go with it set on low . I only want to test the beads , starting an arc and circles ect .

The hobby bottles lasted long enough for my purposes. Some one on 'ere recommended bottles that had twice the usual capacity and these worked fine for me  :)

Will have to see how i get on with this stick weld . A possible weld party in the future , mite call into that place you said for the box of metal .. near the Carlsburg place  :y
« Last Edit: 10 August 2015, 13:27:28 by EMD »
Omegatitis

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2015, 15:28:06 »

Yeah think im jumping the gun a bit as it was tempting price  :y Guess ill burn through the omega door with stick but ill have a go with it set on low . I only want to test the beads , starting an arc and circles ect . ....

On a car door you'll be burning through a nano second after you've struck the arc ...... there won't be time to see a circle or pool of weld  ::) ::)  ;)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2015, 16:35:13 »

Yeah think im jumping the gun a bit as it was tempting price  :y Guess ill burn through the omega door with stick but ill have a go with it set on low . I only want to test the beads , starting an arc and circles ect . ....

On a car door you'll be burning through a nano second after you've struck the arc ...... there won't be time to see a circle or pool of weld  ::) ::)  ;)

Fair e nuff  ;) I thought Omega door skins were like a tanks  ::)
Omegatitis

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2015, 17:00:56 »

There about 1mm or maybe slightly more, certainly thicker than many!

If you want a challenge, do some welding on a transit or a French car....

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2015, 18:09:39 »

There about 1mm or maybe slightly more, certainly thicker than many!

If you want a challenge, do some welding on a transit or a French car....

Can you weld cheese  :-\ ..  ;D
Omegatitis

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2015, 18:19:22 »

Clean metal is much easier. I've been making some shelving units to sit above my desk, and new metal is a joy to weld :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 August 2015, 18:20:12 »

I still badly struggle with "old/used" metal, even when cleaned, not sure why.
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 August 2015, 18:42:49 »

I still badly struggle with "old/used" metal, even when cleaned, not sure why.

The clamping point will never carry the connection as cleanly through dirty metal, even when cleaned off. A classic example is when you strike up your mig welder and the wire curls away from the steel before it starts welding.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 August 2015, 18:44:53 »

First go at stick welding today , got the hang of it pretty quick and also noted that a steady hand is required  :D First bit was to weld two flat pieces of tube steel end to end together , tacked it all around then welded it up  :y Need more clamps  ::)
Then i welded an extension bar on to my old car ramps , turned out not bad  ;D
Happy with the first time experience and cant wait to master it , think im going a wee bit to fast on the weld as its leaving a few holes but will get better as i go on  :)

Got a burn hole in my jeans  :o ;D
Omegatitis

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 August 2015, 19:10:24 »

Am going to put Flashdance on the record player now and dance around in joy  :D :D ;D ;D
Omegatitis

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 August 2015, 23:04:56 »

What do these poxy hobbie bottles cost these days?

What size are they?

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 August 2015, 08:58:21 »

First go at stick welding today , got the hang of it pretty quick and also noted that a steady hand is required  :D First bit was to weld two flat pieces of tube steel end to end together , tacked it all around then welded it up  :y Need more clamps  ::)
Then i welded an extension bar on to my old car ramps , turned out not bad  ;D
Happy with the first time experience and cant wait to master it , think im going a wee bit to fast on the weld as its leaving a few holes but will get better as i go on  :)

Got a burn hole in my jeans  :o ;D

I did some unsupervised welding too. It was was manly, grinding, punching, drilling, countersinking, grinding, welding.

What size are they?
I always thought they were an expensive option. A pub sized bottle of welding gas (DON'T USE PUB C02, it contains food additives that make your weld spatter) are 20 quid filled near me, I can't remember the prices for argon-shield, I haven't got that far yet. A regulator to take both types (pub and cone fit) of bottle is 20-30 on eBay. Job done.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 August 2015, 09:33:25 »

What size are they?
If starting from scratch, you're probably looking at £150 by time you have paid deposit on bottle and bought regulator and adapter. Rent free though :)

Can't remember what refills are, £35 for argon?
Grumpy old man

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 August 2015, 23:07:47 »

Is it normal practice to grind welds to tidy them up or should the weld be left as it is then painted  :-\ Obviously my welds look a bit crap at the minute  ::) but with a flick of the angle grinder they look better  :-X
Omegatitis

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17 August 2015, 01:21:26 »

Is it normal practice to grind welds to tidy them up or should the weld be left as it is then painted  :-\ Obviously my welds look a bit crap at the minute  ::) but with a flick of the angle grinder they look better  :-X

I would say yes, but only if the weld is good enough to be cleaned up using a grinder, you wouldn't want to be grinding away all the weld........... ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 17 August 2015, 02:00:04 »

Dressing with an abrasive disc of some description would be prudent, but if the panels being joined were prepped and welded with some forthought, then the surface finishing should be minimal :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 August 2015, 12:45:41 »

Ah yes , dressing is what i did but a bit too much  :-[
As the saying goes 'things can only get better' .. more practice ect .
Need to build up the welds more and set the amps lower , stick is sticking on strikes
a bit too much then burning through although its only 3mm tube .
Omegatitis

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 August 2015, 17:22:53 »

What size are they?
If starting from scratch, you're probably looking at £150 by time you have paid deposit on bottle and bought regulator and adapter. Rent free though :)

Can't remember what refills are, £35 for argon?
150 for the gas? Ouch. That is major money, I presume that is argon?

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 17 August 2015, 17:42:05 »

Nope, +150 for the bottle and a fill of gas ::)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 August 2015, 17:45:41 »

No way, I'm trying to remember what they charged me last time I bought some, I think Co2 was 20+vat for a refill. I seem to remember argon was 50-60 deposit and 30-40 per refill. I suppose by the time you've whacker a regulator on it, it'll be getting up that way.

05omegav6

« Reply #36 on: 17 August 2015, 17:46:55 »

I think that was Tbs point ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 August 2015, 17:56:12 »

Definitely grind the welds down if they look shite like mine.  Though don't go too far as you'll remove the weld.  You could weld a bit.  Grind a bit.  Weld a bit.  Grind a bit.  I do this cos my welds are shite lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 August 2015, 12:49:56 »

Sorry about being late to the party........

Co2 pub bottle refill (welding gas NOT pub Co2) was 20 quid
Argon/Co2 mix was 50 quid deposit for the bottle and 45 quid for the fill, so 95 quid for a bottle slightly bigger than pub Co2 bottle.

They asked if it was garage or mobile, I said mobile (IE can move bottle!) as they had workshop bottles about 2-3 times the size of the little bottles at 70 for the fill (I didn't ask about deposit on those, sorry).

These aren't guesses, these are the prices I paid the other week at the gas place at the end of my road. If you are local to me, I can recommend them!

*** Please note the argon bottles use a different sized thread to the Co2 bottles. So budget for adaptor or a new reg with both types of fittings. My place sells regs, but eBay is better on prices ****
« Last Edit: 30 August 2015, 12:52:39 by deviator »

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 August 2015, 20:45:06 »

The gas shielded welds are so much more cleaner and stronger , will be looking into buying a gas mig in the future . Plus mig wire looks cheap enough and more economical , plus more handy for welding thinner gauge  :)
Omegatitis

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30 August 2015, 20:47:42 »

The gas shielded welds are so much more cleaner and stronger , will be looking into buying a gas mig in the future . Plus mig wire looks cheap enough and more economical , plus more handy for welding thinner gauge  :)
I'm still very much learning. As such, I had the FiL's Co2 bottles off him, he has gone over to Argon. I want to learn in the worst case scenario and then improve from there.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31 August 2015, 21:27:54 »

Photos please. Come on, I was brave enough to show my crap welds  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31 August 2015, 21:49:36 »

I only used about 8 arc rods to finish the welding cart , but it was intricate work you see  ::) Really need a mig welder for thinner stuff like body panel thin plate steel which i have a small pile of  :)

How much you want for that mig you dont use anymore mr webb  ::)
« Last Edit: 31 August 2015, 21:51:22 by EMD »
Omegatitis

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31 August 2015, 21:59:30 »

Photos please. Come on, I was brave enough to show my crap welds  ;D

Go on then, you can laugh at my efforts......

This was on my own unsupervised. Hence why when I was working with the old thin metal, it kept going wrong and I had to turn the welder down. Please note none of these welds are staying, they are a temp install until the garage is extended.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 September 2015, 01:32:28 »

How much you want for that mig you dont use anymore mr webb  ::)

Er.. 99p?  :-X                                                                    :P                                                                     ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 01 September 2015, 09:56:19 »

You can weld bodywork with a ARC welder :) I did it to my Vectra when i welded a bonnet extension onto the bonnet :) and also to the Omega's rear arches when I replaced them a couple of months ago...

I have both ARC and MIG welders, I prefer the MIG as it is a lot easier to use than the ARC, especially on thinner stuff. I'll be welding up a baseplate soon for an antenna tower I have so it will need to be welded using the ARC as its thicker steel and will need to be a strong weld.... It will be made from 3-5mm wall box section and 3-5mm plate steel... depends on what I can get hold of at the time of purchase...

I wouldn't say I can weld but can join 2 pieces of metal together using the welding process.... The welds may not be neat but are strong, I tested them....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 September 2015, 13:28:51 »

MIG actually produces a stronger weld than ARC........if done well.  :y

STEMO

« Reply #47 on: 01 September 2015, 14:30:05 »

Welding for making stuff is fine. Any car that requires welding should be scrapped.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 September 2015, 17:29:35 »

Welding for making stuff is fine. Any car that requires welding should be scrapped.

My Mk5 Cortina was held together with welds for years  ;D

You can weld bodywork with a ARC welder :) I did it to my Vectra when i welded a bonnet extension onto the bonnet :) and also to the Omega's rear arches when I replaced them a couple of months ago...

I have both ARC and MIG welders, I prefer the MIG as it is a lot easier to use than the ARC, especially on thinner stuff. I'll be welding up a baseplate soon for an antenna tower I have so it will need to be welded using the ARC as its thicker steel and will need to be a strong weld.... It will be made from 3-5mm wall box section and 3-5mm plate steel... depends on what I can get hold of at the time of purchase...

I wouldn't say I can weld but can join 2 pieces of metal together using the welding process.... The welds may not be neat but are strong, I tested them....

I can see that its possible to arc weld body panels if your careful . Its the heat transfer you got to watch though  :(
Omegatitis
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.