Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intemittent engine failure  (Read 1005 times)

zip289

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
Intemittent engine failure
« on: 19 November 2009, 21:33:40 »

My OMEGA 2.6 V6 just stopped whilst I was driving it yesterday. Wouldn't start again (just turned over), then after 10 minutes or so it started, only to stop again a few yards down the road, eventually restarted. AA man thinks its the in-tank fuel pump as he's seen this a few times with this model. Any suggestions? 

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Intemittent engine failure
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2009, 21:35:40 »

My OMEGA 2.6 V6 just stopped whilst I was driving it yesterday. Wouldn't start again (just turned over), then after 10 minutes or so it started, only to stop again a few yards down the road, eventually restarted. AA man thinks its the in-tank fuel pump as he's seen this a few times with this model. Any suggestions? 

Very, very surprised if its that, not seen one fail yet.

Again AA man talking bull.

Bet its the crank sensor, search the main guide for the pedal trick, bet you get a code 19!

zip289

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent engine failure
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2009, 21:37:13 »

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :y

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2009, 21:41:34 »

Zip as I said earlier, do the pedal trick, I'll bet you get P0335 Crankshaft sensor. :y AA man is talking out of his AAr$e ;D
« Last Edit: 19 November 2009, 21:42:05 by Welung666 »

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2009, 23:42:37 »

Hi
I had the same symptoms, RAC man said fuel pump.  It wasn't, it was the crank sensor.  Annoying thing was I realised after he had gone that he had a fault code reader on the passenger seat that he did not use.  I read the codes after I was recovered home.
Alan

Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

Neil (Cardiff)

• Cardiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2009, 23:51:19 »

This may not be very useful but the old Austin Princess Wedge had a mechanical fuel in the tank -  I've had four of these and never seen one fail. Although it's obviously possible if they didn't pack up in 1978 I very much doubt they do these days so it wouldn't be what I would start looking at  :y

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2009, 00:00:31 »

have you checked the fuel tank breather pipe, may have a cracked pipe, min did that.
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2009, 00:01:25 »

Hi
I had the same symptoms, RAC man said fuel pump.  It wasn't, it was the crank sensor.  Annoying thing was I realised after he had gone that he had a fault code reader on the passenger seat that he did not use.  I read the codes after I was recovered home.
Alan

He must have worked for a VX dealer previously. They all know better than the perfectly good tech2 they have sitting there doing bog all.

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2009, 00:04:49 »

have you checked the fuel tank breather pipe, may have a cracked pipe, min did that.
Where on the fuel tank exactly is the fuel tank breather pipe Rusty?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2009, 02:03:24 »

Crank sensor mate  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2009, 08:33:05 »

Top plate down and past the fuel filter............easier to view if you remove the inspection cover for the fuel pump in the boot.

Wrong symptoms though really....it has crank sensor written all over it

zip289

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2009, 09:11:57 »

Thank you for all your assistance, I did the test this morning and hey presto got the following fault codes:

0335 (Crankshaft sensor)
but also the following:
0340 (CamshaftPosition sensor)
0560 (System Voltage - think this may be due to the fact that I have disconnected / removed the alarm sounder - yes?)
Should I be worried about these ones, especially the camshaft one?
Thank you again! :o
Zip289

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2009, 09:16:14 »

Thank you for all your assistance, I did the test this morning and hey presto got the following fault codes:

0335 (Crankshaft sensor)
but also the following:
0340 (CamshaftPosition sensor)
0560 (System Voltage - think this may be due to the fact that I have disconnected / removed the alarm sounder - yes?)
Should I be worried about these ones, especially the camshaft one?
Thank you again! :o
Zip289

Crank sensor can cause some other codes to appear e.g. camshaft (they are bomb proof on the V6's). There are good reasons for this (when you consider the crank is used as the reference)

Did you try cranking the engine when it stopped a lot nad maybe flatten the battery (would help to explain 0560)

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2009, 10:01:14 »

Top plate down and past the fuel filter............easier to view if you remove the inspection cover for the fuel pump in the boot.

Wrong symptoms though really....it has crank sensor written all over it

Is your name Rusty? ;D

my next question was going be how would a cracked breather pipe affect it? Hmmm?

zip289

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2009, 00:32:00 »

After your advice, new Crank Shaft Sensor fitted and seems to have solved the problem, picked up car from garage today and all seems well so far.  Thank you for all your advice, it was right and much more than the garage could offer!
Cheers Zip289 :D

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2009, 00:35:16 »

After your advice, new Crank Shaft Sensor fitted and seems to have solved the problem, picked up car from garage today and all seems well so far.  Thank you for all your advice, it was right and much more than the garage could offer!
Cheers Zip289 :D
the power of oof mate. :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.