Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A special kind of dumb..  (Read 3596 times)

aaronjb

A special kind of dumb..
« on: 19 March 2019, 10:24:14 »

It takes a special kind of dumb to brake-test a car when you're on a motorbike: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-nottinghamshire-43517795/m1-reckless-bikers-caught-on-dashcam-pulling-wheelies

(Half way through the clip)

I got there via this clip: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-47615086/m1-milton-keynes-amazing-escape-from-lorry-and-car-crash

I'm now feeling grateful that all that happened to me the other week was a bump up the backside, rather than being wiped out by a Polski lorry!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: A special kind of dumb..
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2019, 11:15:03 »

A mate of mine got killed by a lorry years ago. It ploughed into 5 cars in traffic on the A1, killing all occupants of all 5 cars. They have a scary amount of momentum.

I've seen left hand drive lorries very nearly do the same thing. About time we started turning the tractor units around at the ports and insisting on RHD lorries on UK roads, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2019, 11:23:54 »

A mate of mine got killed by a lorry years ago. It ploughed into 5 cars in traffic on the A1, killing all occupants of all 5 cars. They have a scary amount of momentum.

I imagine you've seen the picture of the Smart, squashed between two gravel lorries? Those things have very strong cages (as Fifth Gear proved), but it was all of about 6" thick once the back lorry stopped moving..

I've seen left hand drive lorries very nearly do the same thing.

It goes through my mind every time I'm beside a lorry - to be honest, I try not to hang around on their off-side for any length of time, unless I'm totally trapped by traffic, because I don't want to end up like that Scirocco (or a colleagues wife who had the same thing happen in an Astra)!

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2019, 12:39:41 »

Careless driving, the lorry driver? Reckless, in my book.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2019, 13:21:38 »

Careless driving, the lorry driver? Reckless, in my book.

That usually is dependant on whether you are a cyclist or not.  Cyclist dead = dangerous driving conviction, anyone else = careless.

A crass generalisation, I know, but you very very rarely see anyone done for careless driving for killing a cyclist yet in the very rare occasion when the scenario is reversed people start talking about manslaughter charges.  Sometimes mankind beguiles me but not in a good way.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2019, 14:49:46 »

It goes through my mind every time I'm beside a lorry - to be honest, I try not to hang around on their off-side for any length of time, unless I'm totally trapped by traffic, because I don't want to end up like that Scirocco (or a colleagues wife who had the same thing happen in an Astra)!

Yep, me too, and doubly so in the Westfield. I tend to just sit in the outside lane at whatever speed that dictates. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2019, 14:52:56 »

Whenever i see a "left hooker" i try to get past asap or hang back until i can.

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2019, 14:57:01 »

Yep, me too, and doubly so in the Westfield. I tend to just sit in the outside lane at whatever speed that dictates. :-X

I can imagine! I should imagine I'll feel the same in the plastic fantastic when it's finished; there's no crash protection in a kit car!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2019, 15:29:01 »

I can imagine! I should imagine I'll feel the same in the plastic fantastic when it's finished; there's no crash protection in a kit car!

The ranger gives you a better appreciation of trucker's blind spots though.  I had a fiesta that was trying that old trick to 'push-in' to a queue of traffic.  It pulled alongside level with the front of the ranger on the nearside.  Had I been in any other car I would have seen it and the indicator but as it was I just saw the roof of said rude driver and was oblivious to the indicator.  Rude driver obviously assumed that I had seen it and moved closer (oblivious to my knowledge) almost causing a low speed prang.  When I saw that rude driver was too close they got a blast of the 150db horn and they promptly did a Foxtrot Oscar.

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2019, 16:30:09 »

The ranger gives you a better appreciation of trucker's blind spots though.

Yep - I've driven quite a few big things (OK, nothing over 7.5T so not that big) but yes, that's another reason I try to stay out of the blind spots of HGVs and similar; it's also likely why I nearly got squished between a Transhit Tipper and LWB Sprinter this morning - although they were both trying to push into the same lane I was in, so technically I was in the right.. discretion is the better part of valour, though, and I didn't want to dent two of the remaining three undamaged sides of her Mini! ;D

I have horn envy, though.
And truck envy.
Damn you.
Almost Haiku.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2019, 16:54:13 »

I very nearly got taken out by two HGVs on a roundabout the other week. 4 lanes at the traffic lights (on the roundabout  >:() & I was in the 2nd ie what was to become the outside lane of the on-slip, HGV pulls up on my right as another does on my nearside. As the lights change & we all set off, the HGV to my left starts to cut across to my lane .... I've no where to go other than stop otherwise I'd have been squashed between the pair of them. The driver was completely oblivious.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2019, 19:31:25 »

Reads. And leaves. :-X
Hoof'land storeman.

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 19 March 2019, 19:39:48 »

Five identical Polish registered trucks on the M25 this evening, weaving in and out of lanes, forcing other people out of the way who wouldn't break the posted (variable) speed limit - including the outside lane.. yup, perfect standards of driving, there.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 March 2019, 19:51:16 »

All this talk about HGV's and crushing cars has reminded me, if I needed it, of when I almost died in 1979.

Driving away from Lymington towards Christchurch in Hampshire, along an old road that was later replaced, I passed an 8 wheel , 4 axle, rigid chassis tipper lorry loaded to the brim with material from a quarry. I continued to drive another two miles, when on a downward hill I had to stop at a queue of traffic held by road work lights. Then the lorry appeared. I just remember seeing him approaching and hearing the sceeching of brakes getting louder. He was coming down the hill and was obviously trying hard to stop behind my Ford Cortina Estate. Traffic was coming up the hill and a high embankment was on the nearside. He had nowhere to go; nor did I!

With his brakes now screaming very loudly, and him filling my rear view mirror I awaited the worst. Then a miracle of timing meant the traffic coming up the hill stopped, and that side of the road was clear. With I reckon 6 inches spare I watched as he swung out and this lorry went past me, the car in front, then past two more cars, and finally stopped alongside the next vehicle! The traffic started to move on my side and I went past this 20 ton+ lorry that would have flattened me and many others ( there was certainly one family in the car in front of me) and looked up and glimpsed a driver in shock, judging by his face, as I was!!

Just one of my scarry moments driving on business that would have killed me but for the grace of God!! :o :o :o
« Last Edit: 19 March 2019, 19:52:55 by Lizzie Zoom »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2019, 18:10:52 »

In the space of 5 minutes.

On A40E, slip road for A406, stopped at lights, turning Left, move off, car comes from right turn lane across me to go Left

Near neasden/Wembley exit, Audi A6, straight across from lane 4, to go down to Wembley, across the front, over Chevrons,.  O and I won't even start about those who drive round the back as your reversing.....
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.