Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravanning - Omega's as towcar!  (Read 6028 times)

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
Re: Caravanning - Omega's as towcar!
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2006, 23:43:29 »

I also own a caravan although I don't own an Omega i have a V6 vectra - which tow's great, on makes and models - I have an Lunar - they are known for lightwieght vans - mine is around 17.5ft 5 berth but is only 1240 kg's well within the 85%.
I have towed vans for a good few years on and off - it can be quite a challenge at first but as long as your car is in good order you shouldn't have much of a problem. I would advise you join the caravan club - you can get a lot of advice from them plus they do caravan towing courses .
I have had old ones - the trouble is they look ok until you get on a site and you look like the Gypo lol, no they are usually have something wrong with them!!! just like old cars.

i bought a new one last year from a show - got a huge discount there too - I would recomend it, but don't buy a small one, they look huge until you go away in them.
Best to borrow / higher one before you commit to buy!!!!!
as for stabilisers - i use an alco one - it replaces the hitch on the caravan and uses brake pads on the tow hitch - by far the best type to use.

And as for cheap holiday - its not these days, your car will feel like a vauxhall Viva when towing but will drink juice like a V12 jag.

Following on from the Caravan Tyre warning earlier, I am thinking of getting a caravan at some stage - not a new one by any means, but fancy something to tame the 3.0 on the road..

Any recommendations for an ideal sort of size of van/weight etc for the Omega? Ideally I would prefer a larger van 3/4/5 berth just for space and comfort, but would appreciate any pointers or advice from our existing caravanning members to look out for should I finally decide to take the plunge.

Mine is a 3.0 elite estate on a P - so not new but has typical features of the specification, obvious thing I would only drive it with an anti-snake device as have seen too many vans on their side for various reasons.

Any other mods necessary for the meega or other things I should be aware of with the meega towing?

Cheers for any advice

Steve
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2006, 21:43:27 »

Ok all you caravan Gurus?? anyone any idea of the nose weight of a Hobby 25ft? looking at one and not sure whether to go for it or not???
will be towed by a TD (chipped whoosh!!!!) estate with airshocks
Omegatoy

Martin_1962

« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2006, 22:11:40 »

Ok all you caravan Gurus?? anyone any idea of the nose weight of a Hobby 25ft? looking at one and not sure whether to go for it or not???
Omegatoy

Wrong idea - you LOAD it to 75kg (ie use the contents as ballast) this is hte beest way.

Also why not use the other Omega as a tow car!!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2006, 21:28:59 »

Omegatoy

Wrong idea - you LOAD it to 75kg (ie use the contents as ballast) this is hte beest way.

Also why not use the other Omega as a tow car!!

Sorry mate by Nose weight i meant the all up weight to see if its within limits!!
Omegatoy

Martin_1962

« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2006, 21:53:31 »

Is it twin or single axle - any single axle will be fine

archermk

• Roundabout City, Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2006, 22:06:31 »

I collected and towed my caravan yesterday behind the Omega for the first time. I almost forgot the caravan was there (except for the double hop over speed humps).

The most interesting part of the day was fitting & wiring up the towbar. I had it booked in at a place in Nuneaton earlier in the week to be fitted but they took one look at the LPG tank in the boot and declined. So DIY it was. I had to drill up into the cross member near the axle rather than down from inside the bonnet because of the tank. I placed a paving slab under the tank to stop the drill going too far up.

The towbar fitting took about 3 hours, taking it easy. But the electrics were a bit trickier. Incidentally does anyone know where I can get a color-code table for the wires in the loom at the rear of the boot. I've just got a couple to re-do.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 July 2006, 20:04:46 »

Is it twin or single axle - any single axle will be fine

Twin axle mate gonna tour Spain for 6 months to see if we like it, so need the room!!!
Omegatoy

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2006, 21:28:18 »

Find the weight and we will let you know

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2006, 15:09:19 »

Following on from the Caravan Tyre warning earlier, I am thinking of getting a caravan at some stage - not a new one by any means, but fancy something to tame the 3.0 on the road..

Any recommendations for an ideal sort of size of van/weight etc for the Omega? Ideally I would prefer a larger van 3/4/5 berth just for space and comfort, but would appreciate any pointers or advice from our existing caravanning members to look out for should I finally decide to take the plunge.

Mine is a 3.0 elite estate on a P - so not new but has typical features of the specification, obvious thing I would only drive it with an anti-snake device as have seen too many vans on their side for various reasons.
HI steve,

We tow a 2005 Swift Challenger 55OL single axle fixed bed  4 berth Model -
caravan weight unloaded = 1214kg.
caravan max weight loaded = 1432kg

I believe the van we have is probably one of the heaviest single axles around, the omega 2.6 pulls it like a dream, we tend to travel light and it is important you load the van evenly.

Ideally the weight ratio between the car and caravan according to the caravan club should be 85% but some  experienced caravanners do tow at 100% not recommended.

Obviously it's better if the cars kerbweight is higher than the caravan when the caravan is fully loaded.

How to work out the towing ratio =

Loaded caravan weight divided by car kerbweight x 100% = hopefully 85-90% or lower.

Mine works out - 1432kg divided by 1630kg x 100% = 87% if i load to the max and the unit is very stable.

useful links vehicle kerb weights http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kerbweights.htm

A very good caravan forum  http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/index.php?act=idx

Another good tip is to weigh the car on a weigh bridge and even better the caravan if you can before you buy.

hope this helps.

regards dave.

« Last Edit: 25 July 2006, 15:44:41 by egcc »
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.