Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Emergency Grab Bags  (Read 2515 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Grab Bags
« Reply #15 on: 11 September 2019, 13:08:35 »

But not as moronic as buying a new one and keeping it as a spare.
Well, I may be a moron, but since learning my lesson in France, the subsequent times its happened, I've not looked such a tit, have I ;)

I have no idea how you manage to break/wear out  as much stuff as you do.....

The only small, fixable at the roadside breakdowns I've had in over 30 years were when a condenser failed, and when the fan belt made the cam belt jump a few teeth. Both were my fault: the condenser broke my no Intermotor parts rule; the fan belt was on my list, and wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't left off the belt cover because it looked cooler. Both problems were sorted when the AA man turned up with tools and I fixed the cars. I also refitted the cambelt cover because I now had conclusive proof that leaving it off was a moronic thing to do.

I've had big failures too, but carrying a spare axle, gearbox, radiator, brake caliper or engine and the tools to replace them isn't really feasible.

So I don't carry spares, and only have a socket set and a few other small tools because I have several sets of them.

I have refused to fit spare wheels on several occasions, and couldn't on another because they'd taken the 'good' spare out of their previous car(3 years earlier) and it was my fault I couldn't fit a Metro spare to a Corolla ::)

I've been handed:

a spare fan belt, that was actually a cam belt for a different engine.
H4 bulb for a blown HID
an entire exhaust system that had rusted through at the front joint
the drive belt and cam belt pulleys still attached to the crank snout, which is still my favourite :y
an air filter that looks OK to me when it was so black and hairy it would have made a decent rasta wig
complete gearlever, mounting plate an  part of the internal actuating rod
brake pads to put back into the caliper they had fallen out of :o

etc.

I have also:
whittled an oil filler car from a fence post
reattached a Metro gearlever with half a bag of cable ties to get them home to Exeter
removed countless flapping undertrays and rusty back boxes
cut some of my loading timber down to prop up the back of a TVR with a snapped coilover just so we could the car
reassembled and strapped in place bottom balljoints - 50/50 lowered cars or the wrong pinch bolt
fitted a replacement inner TCA bolt to a 2.8i Capri - I had one in my toolbox for some reason ;)

Some stupid things the driver said:
why has it broken down when it's only just been MOTd? - the slight oil leak advisory 8 months earlier turned out to be a weeping main seal that had got worse and contaminated the cam belt.
there can't be anything wrong with that, it's new - I hear this a lot from my mother who considers anything she's paid for over the last 79years to still be new
I don't know how to open the bonnet
why has the tyre worn through like that, they're supposed to be runflats - 600 miles on a flat tyre with the warning light on!!
and probably the best candidate for use of a Lawgiver: It can't be a flat battery this is a BMW - which a 10 year old 316 most certainly is

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 September 2019, 14:18:57 »

...and your point is? :-X

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 September 2019, 14:30:06 »

...and your point is? :-X

Reasons.

I've got them, so do you and the rest of us. Yet we'll draw different conclusions from the same incident.

I can justify most of mine, and the rest I'll blame on genes: the whole family has them, we're all stubborn opinionated arseholes and will revert to type at the drop of a hat. Mine's a hemp Tilley because it works in most weather we get here.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.