Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh Bugger - The END?  (Read 35841 times)

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Bugger - The END?
« Reply #45 on: 22 July 2006, 11:12:59 »

Managed to tow it home without any incidents using a normal tow rope. So it is now back on the drive and I will ask Jim to come and diagnose it next week.

I'll let you know what the verdict is..

Merv

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22 July 2006, 16:54:58 »

Keep us posted......tools are at the ready!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22 July 2006, 16:57:29 »

Absolutely, my tools are at the ready also, and with Mark's brains, this should be a good job done...
Grumpy old man

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 July 2006, 19:54:13 »

Right - Update time again.

Jim came round this afternoon to have a look,  he couldn't start it, but did connect it up to Tech2 which reported an error in the cam timing which, based on what symptoms I described, he suggested that indeed the belt had slipped.

It did not appear to have caused visible damage, and the fact I was only going about 10mph when it went was encouraging.  He did suggest that there was an outside chance that it might just need a new belt,rollers etc but this was very very unlikely.

So...  over to the experts,  what are the next steps in the head change party?

Cheers
Merv

PS.  In case anyone still thinks that main dealer servicing is a good thing, Jim was fairly appalled at the state of basic things under the bonnet, corners cut a plenty!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 24 July 2006, 19:57:24 »

One for Marks_DTM to comment on methinks...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 24 July 2006, 19:57:57 »

You said it made a noise when it happened - can you describe the noise...
Grumpy old man

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 24 July 2006, 20:04:29 »

To be honest I would struggle, it all happened rather sharpish.  All I can say was that it was not a bang, more of whoosh, i just about had time to think "what the hell was that" when the car started shuddering, lost all power and started sounding like a poorly tractor.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 24 July 2006, 20:45:24 »

How good are you with the spanners, could you strip the inlet system and cam cover?

Alternatively you could remove the inlet trunking, set the bottom pulley to TDC and then remove the two bolts holding the upper cam belt cover to look at the cam timing marks.

If thats still a bit hard, remove the two bolts from the top of the cam cover, ease it open slightly so you can see the belt and get some body to quickly turn the engine over (mind your fingers!). If the belt moves then you know its at least still in one piece!

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 24 July 2006, 21:17:12 »

I could follow instructions, but I don't actually know the name of the parts, so would need pictures.

If no special tools were required, I could have a go.  Mailed or faxed pictures would be a help.

Cheers
Merv

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 24 July 2006, 22:44:10 »

I could follow instructions, but I don't actually know the name of the parts, so would need pictures.

If no special tools were required, I could have a go.  Mailed or faxed pictures would be a help.

Cheers
Merv

If there is any kind of "party" were our resident Omega Google's are around, I may, may! be bringing a V6 needing a new cambelt and tensionrs myself

I have the basic tools (Torx and sockets) and happy to give you a hand with your car as well. Maybe we could club together and get some beer suppliys for DTM to tempt him down!  ;)
« Last Edit: 24 July 2006, 22:44:41 by tunnie »

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 July 2006, 22:49:39 »

You can get away with replacing the valves - done loads of them - yes the valve guides crack - but only the few mm that go into the ports so with new valve stem seals fitted there's no problem - new valves you can get from Ebay at around £7 each, A head set from ebay will cost around £50 just don't use the exhaust manifold gaskets or the cam cover gaskets - go to Vm for those. head bolts are around £22 also from ebay.
The job including removing and changing / re-seating 24 valves, valve stem seals takes us one and half days to complete - (and thats 2 blokes who know the engine like the back of your hand) this would be cut down if you could get hold of some good second hand heads to a long 12 hour day.

Best to get hold of some spare exhaust manifolds as theres a good chance of  the studs breaking off.

also most of the ones i have done in the past have damaged the cam- gears, usually the 2-4-6 bank ones go - the cam location pin area elongates- if you are really unlucky the cam location pin cracks he camshaft - but that is rare.

The cam gears can be fitted on the other cam - so you can get out of jail free on that one

On Saturday, driving (slowly) round local roads, there was a horrible noise, then the whole car started shuddering, EM light flashing like mad, then died.
Called the AA out who listned to it, and proclaimed it to sound like the timing belt had slipped and pistons were hitting valves!!! :'(

I have towed it into the local VX garage for confirmation of the actual problem, but working on the assumption that the cambelt has gone what are my best options.

The car is a 1999 V Reg 2.5 Petrol CDX Manual - 135K on the clock, is it likely to have enough value to make it worth repairing?

Do I just walk away and look for a new car? or

What would be of value to remove from the car? bearing in mind that I am no engineer and wouldn't have the tools to remove anything serious.

Any thoughts?

Merv

PS.  In answer to the obvious questions, yes the change was overdue, so my own stupid fault!  Sods law, I spent so long looking for a replacement (how do you replace an omega)! that the basics were being neglected :-[  I hang my head in shame and stand up as a lesson as to why Cambelt changes are a REAL requirement.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2006, 23:03:34 by v6man54deg »
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24 July 2006, 22:57:08 »

If you turn the engine over by hand (E20 socket on the crank pulley bolt) you can feel if the valves have gone - a sudden lack of compression.
If you can take the upper and lower manifolds off you can see the inlet valves - they are the normal culprits on a V6.
I have seen as little as four bent valves to 16 or all 24 - fixed them all though and my mate is still driving one - and he drives like the stig.

Right - Update time again.

Jim came round this afternoon to have a look,  he couldn't start it, but did connect it up to Tech2 which reported an error in the cam timing which, based on what symptoms I described, he suggested that indeed the belt had slipped.

It did not appear to have caused visible damage, and the fact I was only going about 10mph when it went was encouraging.  He did suggest that there was an outside chance that it might just need a new belt,rollers etc but this was very very unlikely.

So...  over to the experts,  what are the next steps in the head change party?

Cheers
Merv

PS.  In case anyone still thinks that main dealer servicing is a good thing, Jim was fairly appalled at the state of basic things under the bonnet, corners cut a plenty!!
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 July 2006, 10:56:01 »

If thats still a bit hard, remove the two bolts from the top of the cam cover, ease it open slightly so you can see the belt and get some body to quickly turn the engine over (mind your fingers!). If the belt moves then you know its at least still in one piece!

This sounds like it may be possible  :-[

Are these the two bolts you are referring to?

What sort of bolt is that?  The Halfords kit that was being discussed in an earlier thread, does it have a part number or specific name?  sounds like I might need more than my adjustable spanner  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 25 July 2006, 10:57:06 »

That is a torx bolt...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25 July 2006, 11:07:04 »

E12 I think......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.