Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ringing for remembrance  (Read 1150 times)

Lincs Robert

Ringing for remembrance
« on: 12 November 2017, 12:04:04 »

I’m one of a couple of bell-Ringer’s here on OOF.

Over the last few days I’ve had the privilege of ringing at a number of events in and around Lincoln. These include ringing for a couple of services, 4 quarter-peals and tolling a bell immediately ahead of the Civic ceremony in Lincoln city centre. All ringing this weekend was “half-muffled”. This is achieved by placing a leather pad on one side of the clapper. You then get a normal strike followed by a mulled one creating a call & response effect, almost mournful & quite appropriate.

If anyone’s interested, BBC breakfast did a short piece on ringing this morning - which is available on the iPlayer. It starts @07:24 and runs for a couple of minutes.

Rob

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Ringing for remembrance
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2017, 12:57:50 »

I'm just about to leave for a half-muffled quarter peal of Grandsire caters at Rochester Cathedral. Where each of the 10 bells cast in 1921 are dedicated to people killed in WW1.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2017, 13:37:34 »

Top man  :y

I’ve never rung a quarter of Caters - good luck with that.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2017, 15:22:06 »

Yes, i saw that this morning Rob. My late Dad was a ringer (campanologist) for many years and he said that younger people were not coming through to carry on the tradition. :(

Lincs Robert

« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2017, 16:34:43 »

Yes, i saw that this morning Rob. My late Dad was a ringer (campanologist) for many years and he said that younger people were not coming through to carry on the tradition. :(

Have a go then  :y

It’s one of those hobbies where you can progress as far as you want or just stay doing what you are comfortable with. It’s good exercise & keeps the brain active. Also cheap, but ringers have always been known to visit the pub after practice finishes - there is a general agreement not to ring past 9pm.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2017, 17:14:25 »

Due to a misunderstanding we only had eight ringers, so rang a nice quarter of Stedman triples instead.

And now I'm signed up for 3 more next Saturday, one each of minimus, doubles and triples which ought to be interesting.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2017, 17:25:23 »

Due to a misunderstanding we only had eight ringers, so rang a nice quarter of Stedman triples instead.

And now I'm signed up for 3 more next Saturday, one each of minimus, doubles and triples which ought to be interesting.

I ring a lot of minimus, the civic church in Lincoln is a 4 and the vicar very pro-bell. In fact, it’s the leading 4 bell tower for quarters in the country.  :y

For each month of WW1 we have been ringing a half-muffled quarter dedicated to the men who died 100 years ago that month in the particular parish. To give you an idea, look at the footnote on bellboard for the one in Lincoln (St Mary’s) on the 9th. Three years down, one to go. Not all of our parishes get rung each month, but many do. That’s a lot of quarters- but for very good reasons and I’m actually very proud to do them. I was quite ill at the end of last year & missed out on three months worth - but that’s life isn’t it.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2017, 19:42:30 »

I've never rung minimus before, but they tell me that after 54 extents I'll have got the hang of it ;D . We're doing this at Grain, where they only seem to get rung for quarters.

Hopefully the doubles will be on an inside bell too, which will be two firsts for me in one day.

We recently rang a half muffled quarter of Reverse Canterbury at Borden to commemorate the death of one of their ringers killed in Flanders 100 years(to the day) ago.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2017, 19:45:18 by Nick W »

Lincs Robert

« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2017, 20:33:36 »

I've never rung minimus before, but they tell me that after 54 extents I'll have got the hang of it ;D . We're doing this at Grain, where they only seem to get rung for quarters.

Hopefully the doubles will be on an inside bell too, which will be two firsts for me in one day.

We recently rang a half muffled quarter of Reverse Canterbury at Borden to commemorate the death of one of their ringers killed in Flanders 100 years(to the day) ago.

You will that. What will you be ringing? I like Single Court:

Thirds & back, twice, then 6 blows in 4th place. Repeat 53 times & you are done  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2017, 20:50:17 »

I've never rung minimus before, but they tell me that after 54 extents I'll have got the hang of it ;D .

You will that. What will you be ringing? I like Single Court:

Thirds & back, twice, then 6 blows in 4th place. Repeat 53 times & you are done  :y

It will be Plain Bob. I'm also hoping that it will help retraining my brain to listen for the open handstroke lead, rather than automatically start counting when I hear the tenor. Which should sort out my confusion when attempting minor methods.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2017, 21:44:16 »

I heard that over thirty years ago when I started. I was 15.

We had three under twenties start this year, and our silent practice on the simulator regularly has young teenagers attend. When I visited a tower on a weekend away, we rang with a 7 year old girl who needed both a box to stand on, and an extension for the tail end of the rope.

I don't think recruiting is any worse than it has been for decades, but retaining ringers for the long term can be tricky. But there are lots locally like me, who had a long break from it. I suspect this is true of all team activities(it isn't a bloody sport) that require regular commitment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.