Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The gold Elite is Cursed  (Read 5447 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
The gold Elite is Cursed
« on: 02 April 2018, 13:13:17 »

As some will know, a few weeks ago I purchased Terbert's nice gold Elite with a view to mechanically saving it from the scrapper, as it had a rotten exhaust, failed balljoint and wouldn't start.

I put a brand new cat back exhaust on, crank sensor, to fix the starting issue, required suspension work, tyre, full cambelt kit last week, and got it a full MOT with no advisories. The purchase cost was £200, exhaust (purchase and fit) £200 - I expect I've spent near on £700. (which isn't a problem and was an informed decision).

I listed it on eBay, with 12 Hi res photos, and a list of all the imperfections and faults I could see, and the auction ended for £920. I was over the moon with that, but the buyer pulled out without turning up, because he didn't have the funds.

I listed it again, and the auction ended for £840. A bit less, but was happy with this. To avoid any upset or disputes, I made it crystal clear on the auction that other peoples opinion of the condition of the car may differ from mine, and therefore, people should satisfy themselves as to the condition prior to bidding.

The chap who won the second auction turned up today, and noticed a couple of things I didn't. For example, some marks on the bumpers, and that the front nearside wing was more dull than the others, indicating it may have been repaired. He also mentioned the exhaust had quite a lot of condensation, and thus was worried about potential head gasket issues (there are none - Omegas have big exhausts and are therefore prone to condensation steam when it's cold).

To be fair, the chap was a nice guy and very pleasant about it, and had come a long way, so I genuinely believe he felt it wasn't as described (I hadn't noticed the dull wing etc  :'( )

In the interests of being reasonable, I gave him £50 towards his fuel, we shook hands and walked away from the deal.

I'm going to advertise it on OOF and probably take a fair hit - win some lose some!

These images are not for "for sale" purposes, as I haven't considered an ad yet - but, particularly those of you who know the car, please feel free to look at them and give me any feedback on how they might be misleading, in order that I don't disappoint anyone else  :'( :'(

I'm genuinely gutted, I pride myself on being decent and honest and especially when it comes to my Vauxhalls, I would never intentionally try and mislead anyone  :(
« Last Edit: 02 April 2018, 13:15:15 by JamesV6CDX »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: The gold Elite is Cursed
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2018, 13:15:26 »

Looks like Kate might get a bargain then.  ;D
No way would I have paid for the buyers fuel btw.  :o
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2018, 13:25:54 »

It just shows how opinions differ.

The car is probably over 18 years old!! It runs like a sewing machine, and for it's age I think is presentable enough.

I'm not sure what more you could get for £840 - especially with a full MOT, no advisories, and cambelt kit just done for good measure  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2018, 13:35:39 »

The car is probably over 18 years old!! It runs like a sewing machine, and for it's age I think is presentable enough.

I'm not sure what more you could get for £840 - especially with a full MOT, no advisories, and cambelt kit just done for good measure  :-\
And that's exactly what I would have told the buyer, before waving him on his way.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2018, 13:44:37 »

Looks a  good car to me & for £840 with all that work done I would have been more than happy. Very generous paying him fuel money  I wouldn't have.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2018, 13:46:54 »

And that's exactly what I would have told the buyer, before waving him on his way.

I agree with the scouser. You may be slightly 'too much of a gentleman' James. Much like myself in that respect. :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2018, 14:02:52 »

I agree . what do people expect for less than a grand
an 18 year old car by nature has been outside and used and has aged
the fact you did the cam belt kit ,zorst and moted it is a massive plus to a buyer
vauxhall cars over fuel on start up and need a good drive to get water out the zorst
(i note the last astra G estate back box i purchase had a tiny machined hole in the bottom, with a label saying it was to allow
 water to drain )
the dull wing may have seen fresh paint, or simply had some polish or chemical disagreement in the past
had the seller t cut it and polish it ,it would probably not be noticeable, or buy a wing ,cheap enough,bolt on.
maybe he'll buy a brand new car and be happy  :P

BIG problem now is that ebay don't allow you to pass on contact info until after an item is sold  >:(
who in their right mind is going to buy a car sight unseen without hearing the engine,test drive etc  :-\
ebay have made this rule because many where selling outside of ebay and they where not getting their big fat selling fee  :'(

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2018, 14:17:41 »

Only thing I can see is in picture three, the drivers door looks slightly darker than the rest.

Problem is, paintwork looks very different in the flesh to a photo.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2018, 14:38:01 »

Only thing I can see is in picture three, the drivers door looks slightly darker than the rest.

Stood looking out the window now, that's not apparent.

I've just re-insured the car, I'll use it for say 500 miles to run the dog about in, before I consider selling it again - just as some form of evidence that there's nothing wrong with the head gasket (They are multi layer steel, they just don't fail).

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2018, 15:05:15 »

Your alternator has some ally corrosion, I'd have walked at that point  ;D

I hate ebay buyers too !
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2018, 15:32:55 »

Terbert repainted a wing due to a scratch iirc...

We all know that Omegas steam when cold, yet apparently Terry's 2.2 has a failed headgasket ???

Autotrader is a far more efficient way to sell a decent car, and it's free for upto 5 pictures...
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2018, 15:48:56 »

Terbert repainted a wing due to a scratch iirc...

We all know that Omegas steam when cold, yet apparently Terry's 2.2 has a failed headgasket ???

Autotrader is a far more efficient way to sell a decent car, and it's free for upto 5 pictures...

2.2 headgasket is reasonably common, not on the v6 though

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2018, 16:23:10 »

Plus you have essential equipment missing from the photos James  :o

no green little magic tree air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror 

how did it passed an mot without one ?

2boxerdogs

« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2018, 16:49:57 »

Really makes you wonder what people expect for their money if you ran it for 12 months it works out at £70 a month, cheap motoring in my mind.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 April 2018, 17:05:24 »

I really can't see the "buyer"getting anything better for that money.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.