Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mondeo Cambelt Change  (Read 4560 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Mondeo Cambelt Change
« on: 06 April 2018, 11:34:56 »

My Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi is due a new cambelt and recently my local garage told me it would cost about £250-£350.

The other day I saw an advert for a website that gets quotes for repairs servicing etc, so I thought nothing ventured nothing gained etc and popped in the details of my car and the work required.  :y

I've had one quote back..... from Halfords Autocentres......     £530.91!!  :o :o :o  I don't think so!  ;D

www.MyCarNeedsA.com

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Mondeo Cambelt Change
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2018, 11:51:38 »

My Tata and the mighty Signum both come with a chain. :)......as does the  Corsa.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2018, 11:53:23 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2018, 11:59:26 »

My Tata and the mighty Signum both come with a chain. :)......as does the  Corsa.
It's nice to see they provide you with towing equipment as standard.  ;)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2018, 11:59:41 »

Why do manufactures use a belt that needs to be 'expensively replaced' every forty thousand miles when a chain 'should' last the life of the car?

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2018, 12:24:57 »

Why do manufactures use a belt that needs to be 'expensively replaced' every forty thousand miles when a chain 'should' last the life of the car?
Modern vauxhalls state 100,000 miles or ten years. People on here will no doubt say that they wouldn't wait that long, but I never keep a car long enough to find out.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2018, 12:34:37 »

The Mondeo is 10 years/125,000 miles.  It's an 08 plate and has done about 123500 miles.  :)

So I'm OK for a few months/miles until it self destructs!   ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2018, 12:40:35 »

.. because a chain isn't compatible with telling people it'll do elevently million miles between oil changes, as they do. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2018, 12:42:32 »

Modern vauxhalls state 100,000 miles or ten years. People on here will no doubt say that they wouldn't wait that long, but I never keep a car long enough to find out.

If memory serves Vauxhall originally claimed 80,000 miles between cambelt changes for he Omega, which they later revised to 40,000 miles.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2018, 12:46:12 »

.. because a chain isn't compatible with telling people it'll do elevently million miles between oil changes, as they do. ;)

Yes....oil changes every fifty million miles as prescribed by some manufactures can lead to problems.

Service intervals on cars from the sixties and seventies was often as low as every 3000 miles.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2018, 12:52:35 »

Yes....oil changes every fifty million miles as prescribed by some manufactures can lead to problems.

Service intervals on cars from the sixties and seventies was often as low as every 3000 miles.

Back in the days when a car with 60,000 miles was a high miler!  ::)  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2018, 12:54:32 »

I think that cars today 'go out of tune' far more slowly than cars of yesteryear.

Carbs have gone.......as have points which would wear and change the timing. I remember seeing the air filter from a Cortina 2000 GXL MK3.

The car was returning about 14 MPG and the filter which was as black as Obama's arse had never been changed. The points were black and pitted, and the plugs which were supposed to be changed each year/12000 miles were wet and black.

Couldn't get it to rev above 3500 RPM. ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2018, 12:56:28 »

Back in the days when a car with 60,000 miles was a high miler::)  :)

Yep.....a rebore and oversize pistons was quite common on cars at that mileage or less.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2018, 12:56:32 »

The Mondeo is 10 years/125,000 miles.  It's an 08 plate and has done about 123500 miles.  :)

So I'm OK for a few months/miles until it self destructs!   ;D

As my mondeo did at 150k ....  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2018, 13:27:34 »

I think that cars today 'go out of tune' far more slowly than cars of yesteryear.

Carbs have gone.......as have points which would wear and change the timing. I remember seeing the air filter from a Cortina 2000 GXL MK3.

The car was returning about 14 MPG and the filter which was as black as Obama's arse had never been changed. The points were black and pitted, and the plugs which were supposed to be changed each year/12000 miles were wet and black.

Couldn't get it to rev above 3500 RPM. ;D

I remember going with a mate to buy a Chevette.  ::) It was in reasonable condition but the engine was as rough as a bear's @rse and the owner clearly clueless. We took a punt on the fact that it just needed some TLC.

I drove it home and it was barely drivable.

We thought we'd go over everything to give it a good service. On removing the rocker cover to adjust the tappets, we couldn't find any. Just a mass of black jelly that wobbled a bit when you started the engine. ;D

The air filter had totally clogged with oil from the breathers, the points were barely opening at all and chunks kept plopping out of the drain plug when we drained the oil.

A new set of filters, plugs, points, oil and coolant change, check the timing and adjust the mixture and it drove like it had just come out of the factory. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2018, 13:35:35 »

A new set of filters, plugs, points, oil and coolant change, check the timing and adjust the mixture and it drove like it had just come out of the factory. :y
That bad?  ::)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.