Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phone pre-wiring  (Read 5929 times)

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
Phone pre-wiring
« on: 12 November 2006, 23:37:32 »

Hi Guys

Can anyone advise me. On the later facelift models the sales lit says that the omega has factory fitted telephone pre-wiring, the car I have in mind has a CCR 2006 and is an 03.

How do you go about fitting a current modile phone into this? Will it work with the cars display and can you use a cradle plug in type holder? I dont want to use blue tooth as I am in and out of the car all day. Not only does it drive me mad disconnecting and reconnecting bluetoth, but it also drains the phone battery with bluetooth on all the time.

Thanks, any help would be realy appreciated, I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to car wiring and interfacing.
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re:  Phone pre-wiring
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2006, 00:20:01 »

Hi Boilerman,

On some facelifts the CCR2006 is prewired for mobiles. The connector is usually taped to the top of the glovebox. This can usually be reached by removing the kick plate located just below and behind the glove box and then reaching up behind the box. I ended up taking the glovebox out (need to remove passenger airbag and side vents first) only to find there was no adaptor.

I wired my Nokia carkit directly to the CCR2006 by connecting straight into the plug connector at the back of the radio. This is pretty straightforward but needs the radio removed and the radio cage taken out to get reasonable access to the connector and wiring. The power connections are fairly obvoius but the mute and audio connections are on pins 24 (mute) and 25/26 audio in.
These pins are also used by the trafficmaster system but, as I dont use it, I disconnect the mute lead from the traffic master.

Using the mute wire and audio input allows the radio or cd to be muted and the call to be played through your stereo speakers. You can also preset the volume of the call. This will happen whether you are using the stereo or not when a call comes in.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Dave
some day.....

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2006, 11:46:55 »

Cheers Dave

I currently have a samsung d600, do you know if there is a car kit that will take this phone? or I am due for an upgrade, would I be better changing manufacturer?

Surpose I'm looking for the imposible, but I really dont want to continue with blue tooth as said previously, it drains the phone battery and for every leaving and returning to the car all day.

Does anyone know what the Hal***ds kit is like?

Thanks Again Gary
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2006, 15:00:27 »

Hi Gary,

Not sure about the Samsung kit but check it out with the guys at sio communications - http://www.siocommunications.co.uk
I see them getting referenced on this site quite a bit and they can usually help. They also have a pretty good users forum where you can ask your questions. The forum is at http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/Forum/index.php.
 :y
Dave
some day.....

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2006, 17:00:21 »

I know you don't like bluetooth re connecting etc, but if it is set up correctly then it should just connect when you are in the car and the ignition is on. So long as your phone is connected and locked down to the car kit bluetooth receiver only and is invisible to other users, then you should not have to connect and disconnect all day and the security of your phone, contacts etc should be ok.

Every time I jump in my car and the ignition is on then the phone is wired through the stereo via bluetooth, I don't do anything other than to sit in the car, I can use the phone interface on the dashboard to make or receive calls and incoming calls appear on the screen. The Phone is still in my pocket during this process. Mine is not an official vx product but a 3rd party unit which works fine for myself.

Battery life - thats just down to the phone itself. Might be worth considering a new battery?

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2006, 22:27:32 »

Thanks Again Dave, I will check out that site. really appreciated.

Thanks also SMS01 for your input, interesting your explanation about the bluetooth. The only experience I have had with bluetooth is with my head set. I have to switch it on and off leaving the car as it still picks up my phone from about 20 30 meters, and I end up answering my phone while the head set is in the car. Nobody there of course.

But I get what you mean, so if you turn of your engine and remove the key the bluetooth disconnects automatically? and reconnects when you turn on the ignition? If thats the case I could live with the battery life. Its the fiddling with the head set that drive me mad.

Thanks Again, could you confirm that thats the case please. Told you I was a numpty :-[

and ps what type is your kit?

Gary

SMS01

• Altrincham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2006, 13:46:45 »

Gary, to confirm,

Ignition off, phone disconnects from car receiver. Only problem I have found is when messing about around the car and the phone rings - if ignition is on, you have to get into the cabin to answer it and talk.

Kit I have is a Parrot CK3100. Plugs into the back of the stereo with minor mods to the wiring loom plug (splitting the plug into two separate plugs) - have fitted to mine - pre facelift 96, also to a 51 plate. 51plate a bit tighter but still do-able.

Give me a shout and I can show you the thing working. PM sent..

Steve

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2006, 15:02:16 »

Actual bluetooth operation depends on car kit.

With my Nokia kit, if using BT (as opposed to cradle), it will disconnect bluetooth about 30s after switching off ignition. It will reconnect as soon as ignition on.

For all bluetooth users, remember the phone still has to be in a cradle - that applies to BT kits, and BT handsets.  The law implies all handheld electronically operated equipment must be fixed.  The fact that its 'handsfree' is not enough.  A collegue fell foul of that one...
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2006, 15:41:48 »

For all bluetooth users, remember the phone still has to be in a cradle - that applies to BT kits, and BT handsets.  The law implies all handheld electronically operated equipment must be fixed.  The fact that its 'handsfree' is not enough.  A collegue fell foul of that one...

Wow never knew of this i was thinking of eventually buying myself one of those Pioneer Bluetooth headunits and just put the phone in the middle, still just a thought for the moment.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2006, 15:42:46 by nixoro »

SMS01

• Altrincham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2006, 16:27:12 »

Not sure if that could apply in this case. The control unit is mounted (in my case) just above the MID display under the dashboard hood. That is where the thing is controlled from. If I was to leave my phone in the boot of the car, it would still work from the control unit using the bluetooth link to actually make the calls.

If they are saying that it needs to sit in a cradle to work then that defies the object of bluetooth hands free kits. If that is the case, I would suggest that all of the earpiece bluetooth headsets which you see people using are illegal, not a chance that they will have a specific mounting cradle for the phone whilst driving.

Probably need some sort of legal or police advice on this one to clarify.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2006, 17:08:54 »

Not sure if that could apply in this case. The control unit is mounted (in my case) just above the MID display under the dashboard hood. That is where the thing is controlled from. If I was to leave my phone in the boot of the car, it would still work from the control unit using the bluetooth link to actually make the calls.

If they are saying that it needs to sit in a cradle to work then that defies the object of bluetooth hands free kits. If that is the case, I would suggest that all of the earpiece bluetooth headsets which you see people using are illegal, not a chance that they will have a specific mounting cradle for the phone whilst driving.

My collegue who fell foul was wearing the "I look like a idiot" type BT headset, phone in pocket.  He researched it a bit, and seems to be a grey area again, although the text I've read does say any handhled electronic device must be mounted. Hence, why I also installed proper cradle for iPaq.

When the law came in, due to nature of what we do, we asked about putting phones in boot etc. The advice back from company (a large company) was to switch off whilst driving.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2006, 17:09:33 »

My collegue who fell foul was wearing the "I look like a idiot" type BT headset, phone in pocket.  He researched it a bit, and seems to be a grey area again, although the text I've read does say any handhled electronic device must be mounted. Hence, why I also installed proper cradle for iPaq.

When the law came in, due to nature of what we do, we asked about putting phones in boot etc. The advice back from company (a large company) was to switch off whilst driving.
Strangely, we were advised by compnay to switch off pagers as well!
Grumpy old man

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2006, 00:35:24 »

Your collegue, that got caught out, must have been really unlucky.

The number of idiots I see in a day driving around in deep conversation with their phone in hand, stuck to their ear, while trying to manoeuvre  the motor with the other hand, is unbelievable at times.

Think we have all learnt that practice is maddness.

Just getting back to the phone sets, I now think bluetooth could be okay, if it disegages with the phone when ignition is off.

Looks like the advantage with the Pa***t type system is a seperate display from the phone as opposed to using the phone display. :-/
If you use the basic link up set with the manufacturers prewiring. What does the omega display show when making and recieving a call?
« Last Edit: 15 November 2006, 00:46:53 by Boiler_Man »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2006, 00:49:40 »

The number of idiots I see in a day driving around in deep conversation with their phone in hand, stuck to their ear, while trying to manoeuvre  the motor with the other hand, is unbelievable at times....
The actual conversation, rather that holding the phone, is blamed for the lack of concentration on the driving. What's the difference between a legal hands free phone conversatation and a police radio conversation???  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2006, 11:37:19 »

The number of idiots I see in a day driving around in deep conversation with their phone in hand, stuck to their ear, while trying to manoeuvre  the motor with the other hand, is unbelievable at times....
The actual conversation, rather that holding the phone, is blamed for the lack of concentration on the driving. What's the difference between a legal hands free phone conversatation and a police radio conversation???  ::)
I think the driving 1 handed can be a problem - how many times have to seen white van man trying to negotiate a roundabout in his tranny whilst changing gear and on the blower?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2006, 11:38:43 »

If you use the basic link up set with the manufacturers prewiring. What does the omega display show when making and recieving a call?
"Phone"

No clever stuff like number etc...   ...I believe display drivers are available for more functionality, but when I checked, it was several hundred quid...
Grumpy old man

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2006, 12:26:44 »

Shows "message" on the display when hooked up to the pre-wiring. I have the Parrot unit mounted down on the console below the switch for disabling the alarm sensors and have not had a problem with it. If you set up your voice tags the unit tells you who is calling as well as letting you tell the unit who to call.

Steve

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2006, 13:35:28 »

Thanks Guys :y

Steve the Parrot you have, sounds like the one SMS01 has, do you use the vehicle link behind the glove box and Mic?

Also how can I tell if I have the factory fitted mic? I can see a series of slots in the centre of the court' light lens. between the two lamps and sensors.

Cheers Gary

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2006, 15:20:47 »

Yes it is the same unit and it is routed through the Vauxhall phone wiring. The guys who fitted it recommended that the parrot mic was installed as they have had issues with the quality of the original mic. The new mic is fitted up beside the rear view mirror shroud and is hardly noticable. If you pop out the light unit as you would to change the bulb you can see the mic where the slots are in the light unit.

Steve

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2006, 15:36:44 »

Does it have to be fitted professionally? The Car Ph*** W***House are quoting £200 for that unit plus from £75 fitting.

Were you have positioned your display, sound exactly were I thought would be best, when I was waying it up earlier. doesnt obstruct anything.

If it is easy enough to fit it, diy, any idea how you would get the new mic across without disturbing the head lining?

Sorry to Keep asking more questions.

Gary

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2006, 15:54:20 »

Gary,

Sorry, had it fitted by a local independant communications company for £235 all in. I asked at the same place as you and the initial comment was "you don't want one of them, get a headset" and then was informed that the from £75 started when they left their base, travelled up and fitted the unit so they were swiftly told to poke it.

Check the independants out as you get a better service than the big outfits.

You can clip the mic onto the top of the unit as well if you do not want to run cables.

The only prblem with DIYing this type of unit is the warranty and support side. Check it out before you buy.

Steve

SMS01

• Altrincham
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 November 2006, 17:08:46 »

I bought mine for about £85 for the 3100 model. Fitting took about 2-3 hours on a prefacelift Mk1 model. Took slightly longer on the Mk2 version.

Not a difficult job although my control board is in front of the MID display without obscuring it. Tricky bit is routing the wiring - I personally never trust other people with the wiring in my cars having seen the results of bad wiring previously. There was a mic in the car already but decided to mount the manufacturers mic immediately under the display so no disruption to the headlining. Didn't connect to the nokia connection as mine is an Orange PDA thingy. No problems with being heard or clarity, display is adjacent to original MID display so isn't distracting although it does not interface with the MID in my set up.

Haven't set up voice recognition calls yet as no time, but person with Mk2 miggy has done - reasonable level of success making it 100% handsfree.

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 November 2006, 18:56:55 »

Does it have to be fitted professionally? The Car Ph*** W***House are quoting £200 for that unit plus from £75 fitting.

Were you have positioned your display, sound exactly were I thought would be best, when I was waying it up earlier. doesnt obstruct anything.

If it is easy enough to fit it, diy, any idea how you would get the new mic across without disturbing the head lining?

Sorry to Keep asking more questions.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Headling doesnt have to come off to get wiring for mic behind it. Loosen screws holding sun visors in place and headlining is loose enough to tuck wiring behind. The trim covering the A-Pillar will probably have to come off though. To do this on my facelift model I also had to remove the trim at the side of the headlining where the grab handles are. Again it's only a couple of screws and the whole lot snaps off and back on again.

Dave
some day.....

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2006, 20:17:06 »

Cheers Guys

:-[ Sorry but which is the A pillar? Is it the one between the screen and the door? and can you get a cable inside that into the lining?

Thanks Again

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2006, 20:52:15 »

Cheers Guys

:-[ Sorry but which is the A pillar? Is it the one between the screen and the door? and can you get a cable inside that into the lining?

Thanks Again
Correct, and yes, plenty of room for cable.
Grumpy old man

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2006, 00:37:24 »

Thanks Again everyone :y

Gary
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.