Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The future of diesel powered cars...  (Read 1744 times)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
The future of diesel powered cars...
« on: 23 April 2019, 12:43:46 »

This is opinion based on minimal facts, but if you own a diesel that is worth actual money, you may want to read on.

There is a move to force large ships to run on ultra low sulphur diesel. The date is close, 2020. I think this sudden high demand for ULSD will drive up prices. Although, this article says not. I could be well off the mark, but I suspect that diesel prices will rocket over the next 2 years, even ignoring the emissions scandal side of things. As a side effect, the value of diesel cars will plummet.

If I had a diesel worth a significant amount of money, (not £500 bangers like I currently own) I would be looking into moving it on sooner rather than later. Again, I maybe well off the mark and the supplies of ULSD will be fine, in which case you can ignore these ramblings of a mad man.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: The future of diesel powered cars...
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2019, 13:02:29 »

Bugger! I've spent ££££££s on a ML350  :(

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2019, 13:04:34 »

Bugger! I've spent ££££££s on a ML350  :(
There's no reason to believe anything untoward will happen. In fact, the article says just the opposite.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2019, 13:04:53 »

My take on it is that we are a road based economy and the government will protect big business - just like it always has done. A significant rise in the base cost of fuel would likely be offset by a drop in fuel duty to protect the hauliers.

Even if that didn't come to pass, as the article below shows (admittedly 2014, I can't find a newer reference), out of a £1.30p litre of fuel, only 50p is fuel cost. So even a 50% rise in fuel cost would "only" be 25p at the pumps.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10668970/British-fuel-tax-highest-in-Europe.html

Such a rise would be probably affect the value of diesel cars, but in reality they would still be cheaper to run than their like-for-like petrol equivalents. On balance I probably wouldn't offload a pricey diesel car, if I had one.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2019, 13:05:54 »

People and 'things' have their time before slipping into history.

Derv has had it's moment in the sun. Time for it to wave goodbye. :y

Sad for me to say because I'm a big fan of diesel....... ::)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2019, 14:52:32 »

Given the fact that everyone on the Planet will forced to use Electric Cars in the year (when they stop moving the Goal Posts) I would have though demand for Petrol and Derv will have dropped so low that it will be cheap as chips, or as Albs will say, Chip Fat Oil.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2019, 16:49:24 »

I factored these sort of considerations in when we bought our 2.0 diesel golf.

I don't know the percents in Spain but suspect that the proportion of diesel to petrol is higher for diesel. Diesel is cheaper here, distances are greater. I also thought that it may be my last car ( a friend just 3 years older died from pneumonia and Sepsis last week). For sure diesel cars will rightly be pariahs but governments cannot tax them to death just introduce city centre bans and slight increases in tax.  I can live with all of that.   
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2019, 16:58:26 »

My Hyundai is worth shirt buttons so will be run into the ground by me if diesel is "outlawed" the purchase of a Landcruiser will be forgotten but will simply get a newer petrol Subaru to tow with , problem solved think positive..

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2019, 18:16:25 »

My take on it is that we are a road based economy and the government will protect big business - just like it always has done. A significant rise in the base cost of fuel would likely be offset by a drop in fuel duty to protect the hauliers.

Even if that didn't come to pass, as the article below shows (admittedly 2014, I can't find a newer reference), out of a £1.30p litre of fuel, only 50p is fuel cost. So even a 50% rise in fuel cost would "only" be 25p at the pumps.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10668970/British-fuel-tax-highest-in-Europe.html

Such a rise would be probably affect the value of diesel cars, but in reality they would still be cheaper to run than their like-for-like petrol equivalents. On balance I probably wouldn't offload a pricey diesel car, if I had one.  :y

Never happen.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2019, 20:54:27 »

Never happen.

Nope and if Labour get in they'll hike fuel duty and will bring back the fuel duty escalator.  >:(

All in the name of combating climate change of course!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2019, 21:20:52 »

Never happen.

I assume you mean other than the previous 9 years in a row where there has been a real terms drop in fuel duty...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2019, 07:47:09 »

It is happening to ships......but does not apply in international waters so impact is minimal (and many countries already require 'cleaner' fuel us in their waters)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.