Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JCV KS-FX222 multichanger failed after cutting cable to it  (Read 1140 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

I am in love with my JVC KS-FX222 with 12 disc multichanger. I use in it random mode, playing any track in the magazine. I had it in Omega X84GNB, which I scrapped yesterday. I had removed the head unit, and the magazine unit, but had difficulty removing the connector cable so cut it, imaging it would be easy to rejoin.

Today I installed head unit and magazine unit, cable ends, and rejoined the cables. Within a screen were 5 simple cables (green, grey, yellow, brown and black) and 2 white cables containing within screens a red and a grey wires. I soldered all wires together and used shrink wrap insulation. On first assembly I mistook the screened grey as a simple white, joining the screen. On test all worked all right, excapt left hand stereo channel was absent on CD play

I guessed the other white cable might contain a screened wire, so checked - it did. I then connected grey inner and screen separately. It then worked briefly. Then on pressing the CD button the CD player did not engage.

I then rewired all cables more carefully. CD player still did not engage. I installed a spare head unit. This worked briefly, then it failed similarly.

I have tried resetting the CD magazine unit - hold down eject button 3 seconds - no joy. I have tried resetting head unit - hold down select and attenuate buttons 3 seconds - no joy. Fuses are fine.

I am defeated. Please help.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: JCV KS-FX222 multichanger failed after cutting cable to it
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2014, 10:15:37 »

cable with multiple pins in the plug, or the unilink style?

???
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2014, 14:05:39 »

Multipin plug. Quite a small plug, 10.5mm diameter, 2 central pins (not round pins, flat pins) then 3 on top and 3 below. Would a photo help? I am beginning to suspect the plugs. I cannot reject the casstte now. I used to be able to do that even with ignition and head unit switched off. Same plugs either end of cable.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2014, 21:03:22 »

Sounds like the head unit has had a hissy fit :-\

Did summat similar to the unilink control cable on a Sony set up, managed to screw through the cable refitting some trim, but no lasting harm, simply a new cable...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2014, 22:17:51 »

Thanks Al. In fact I did change the head unit for a good spare, which worked briefly then failed in the same way. I suspect the cable or the connectors. The head end connector seems favourite suspect.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2014, 10:04:41 »

New cables are cheap enough... last one I bought was about £40 for a 5 metre unilink fwiw :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2014, 21:01:55 »

There should be 12 volts on 1 of the pins even when ignition and radio are switched off, so that I can eject the cartridge at any time. There is not. Therefore i reckon I have goosed the head unit in some way. I have it apart, but cannot see any fuse or overload realy that might have tripped out. Bother.

Still thinking.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2014, 20:42:48 »

I had indeed goosed the head unit. No power was getting to magazine unit. I dismantled head unit, looked in vain for blown fuse or tripped relay. Then spotted a broken circuit board track, which I repaired with a blob of solder. Reassembled; everything worked! Pics follow
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjvk578atigkj3u/trackGAP40%25.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1css6q99u3vad3i/gapREPAIR40%25.jpg

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2014, 21:33:52 »

Nicely done :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2014, 22:34:15 »

Thanks, Al. Still do not know what caused it. Only idea is that when I rejoined the cable I assumed all the screening wires were earthy, so did not insulate them from ech other. Originally the output leads were screened but the screening was insulated with white plastic. As first rewired they could all touch.

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2014, 22:47:29 »

That'd do it ;D only thing I've experienced in a similar vane was a head unit on a boat. It was fitted touching the copper pipes from the steering pump, which use to attract condensation. This in turn used to drain unseen into the head unit, and eventually it died... upon opening, the cause was clear as day, and terminal ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.