Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid app  (Read 2117 times)

STEMO

Covid app
« on: 20 June 2020, 11:37:59 »

Should have appeared on your phone this week. Sneaky.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Covid app
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2020, 12:31:25 »

I thought that this was still in chaos. The NHS were working on one centralised app, Apple and Google refused to play ball as they wanted a decentralised app. The Government then linked up with Google but forgot to tell Apple, and the Apple app failed to work effectively on nearly all iPhones. Apart from that it's going well.  ::)
As I believe the app works via Bluetooth, and you have to leave your Bluetooth on permanently, most of my close contacts will register as Kuka Robots.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2020, 12:41:18 »

I thought that this was still in chaos. The NHS were working on one centralised app, Apple and Google refused to play ball as they wanted a decentralised app. The Government then linked up with Google but forgot to tell Apple, and the Apple app failed to work effectively on nearly all iPhones. Apart from that it's going well.  ::)
As I believe the app works via Bluetooth, and you have to leave your Bluetooth on permanently, most of my close contacts will register as Kuka Robots.  ;D
On android, I went into settings>Google and there it was. You have to activate it and, as you say, turn on Bluetooth for it to work.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2020, 12:43:52 »

As much use as the proverbial " chocolate ashtray" 😀😃😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2020, 13:37:11 »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2020, 13:43:40 »

I thought that rather than use the proven 'off the shelf' app from South Korea that worked, they decided as ever to reinvent the wheel and we were going to have a world beating British app, that turned into a complete fiasco so they binned it?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2020, 14:19:22 »

I thought that rather than use the proven 'off the shelf' app from South Korea that worked, they decided as ever to reinvent the wheel and we were going to have a world beating British app, that turned into a complete fiasco so they binned it?  :-\
Yep, so apple and google are doing it.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2020, 14:55:59 »

It's not an app .. it's an extension to the OS to allow an app (if one is ever written) to use bluetooth whilst the phone is "asleep" .. it can only be activated by actually installing and running a certified app.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53120290

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2020, 18:44:05 »

Call it what you like, its another shambles. Not in the shambles category of Labours £12 billion on an NHS computer system, 20 years ago, which got scrapped as soon as it was finished, because it could never work. But still a shambles.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2020, 10:21:40 »

Call it what you like, its another shambles. Not in the shambles category of Labours £12 billion on an NHS computer system, 20 years ago, which got scrapped as soon as it was finished, because it could never work. But still a shambles.
When the civil service try to run anything*....

...and you rate their chances of a EU trade deal this year?

*I can say that with some authority, seeing as I was involved in a key part of said project very early on during the precursor trial which didn't work, and did point out some of the completely unfixable fundamental flaws to them.  But the amateurs from the civil service thought they knew best.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2020, 11:42:02 »

The EU civil service is much worse than ours in every concievable way, so we should be in with a chance.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2020, 12:23:09 »

Given that the EU Parliament has voted to veto any deal that doesn't guarantee the status quo over pretty much all areas of EU/UK interaction from fishing to human rights, I very much doubt that there will be a deal of any kind.  ::)

Unless of course Boris performs the biggest screeching U-Turn in history and does a Theresa May style cave in, and I wouldn't rule that out TBH.  :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2020, 12:42:24 »

Nor would I, although I also wouldnt rule out the EU compromising to do a deal at the very last minute. They have form on that.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2020, 12:59:52 »

Nor would I, although I also wouldnt rule out the EU compromising to do a deal at the very last minute. They have form on that.

They might make minor concessions that will allow them to play the blame game in the aftermath of no deal when German manufacturers and French farmers are facing UK tariffs for their goods, but they are still hell bent on rendering us as a satellite state that is under their control.  :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2020, 13:57:39 »

Their position has been weakened considerably by the election result though. Before that they had a big enough fifth column in our Parliament to frustrate every attempt to implement the referendum result.
Now, they have been told the transition period ends this year no matter what. Although a U turn is still possible, the position we are in right now would have been unthinkable before the last election.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.