Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powerline Homeplug adapters  (Read 4894 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Powerline Homeplug adapters
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2019, 03:07:50 »

Freeview and Netflix here.

A new smart telly might be a less stressful solution and simply live with Freeview  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2019, 09:11:29 »

Freeview and Netflix here.

A new smart telly might be a less stressful solution and simply live with Freeview  :-\

I have been watching this thread and thought the same thing ;)

I have two Panasonic Freeview Play Smart TV's, one a 50" the other a 55" and I think they do everything I need a TV to do, getting rid of the need for any 'magic box' subscription, with full Freeview catch up that has all the TV channels, programme reverse to start, and internet facilities, oh, and with full Netflix facility . 

Now, of course there will be some who must have Live Sport from the likes of Sky or BT, but at least that expensive, ever increasing price, option I can do without :D ;)

It depends on what you are looking for I suppose, but all the complication and expense of other options has to be questioned :)
« Last Edit: 09 September 2019, 09:14:26 by Lizzie Zoom »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 September 2019, 10:49:55 »

Possibly less stressful, although given the person already uses boxes with the TV it doesn't seem to be an issue.

It depends on what you are looking for I suppose, but all the complication and expense of other options has to be questioned :)

Personally I would question spending a three figure sum on a new TV, simply to add the same functionality that the existing TV, plus a £20-25 box would give you. Neither option outlined above requires any on-going expenditure to give the catch-up services the OP was looking for.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2019, 12:36:27 »

A reasonable smart TV doesn't have to begin with a 9...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/panasonic-tx-32fs500b-32-smart-hdr-led-tv-10179079-pdt.html

Exactly, and there are offers out there for the bigger TV's, and leading up to Christmas traders will offer even more.

All I was really saying that IF the individual is thinking of upgrading their TV, then with "the box" complication, that is cost and practicality, it COULD be an alternative :D ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 September 2019, 12:50:13 »

Possibly less stressful, although given the person already uses boxes with the TV it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Personally I would question spending a three figure sum on a new TV, simply to add the same functionality that the existing TV, plus a £20-25 box would give you. Neither option outlined above requires any on-going expenditure to give the catch-up services the OP was looking for.  :y

Thanks Jimmy, your options are the cost effective answer that will suit her. :y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 September 2019, 14:54:43 »

Firstly, no point trying to get Internet to a non Smart TV. And if a TV lacks LAN or Wifi, its not Smart, so can't make use of it.

A non Smart TV can be converted to Smart-ish using a plug in box, the exact one to be what fits your needs, such as Amazon Firestick, Roku, or any of the no name Android boxes out there.

Powerline adapters do mostly work, but are frequently a bit naff, either in performance or the constant need to reset them because they sudden just seem to stop working.  I use them to get wired Internet in my garage, currently its a TP Link one at provides 2 ethernet and wifi on the remote plug.  In larger houses, they can be problematic, but generally fine in normal homes. Sometimes you find a combination of sockets that works better than others, so sometimes a bit of experimentation is needed.

Wifi extenders are universally crap. Always.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 September 2019, 19:23:26 »

Firstly, no point trying to get Internet to a non Smart TV. And if a TV lacks LAN or Wifi, its not Smart, so can't make use of it.

A non Smart TV can be converted to Smart-ish using a plug in box, the exact one to be what fits your needs, such as Amazon Firestick, Roku, or any of the no name Android boxes out there.

Powerline adapters do mostly work, but are frequently a bit naff, either in performance or the constant need to reset them because they sudden just seem to stop working.  I use them to get wired Internet in my garage, currently its a TP Link one at provides 2 ethernet and wifi on the remote plug.  In larger houses, they can be problematic, but generally fine in normal homes. Sometimes you find a combination of sockets that works better than others, so sometimes a bit of experimentation is needed.

Wifi extenders are universally crap. Always.

All as Jimmy has already kindly informed me above. ::) :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.