Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O/S Wishbone  (Read 1647 times)

Nick

• Essex
    • View Profile
O/S Wishbone
« on: 15 September 2006, 08:44:34 »

Morning everyone,

Very tired this morning due to changing the drivers side front wishbone last night and it was a b*stard. Still out there at 10 heating up the joint that connects to the hub for it too release and it still would not.

I did the passenger side on tuesday night and it was easy, 1 hour all done but the other side what a pain.

Sorry for boring you all but i was really swearing last night with a big hammer and a blow torch.

Very Tired Nick

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: O/S Wishbone
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2006, 08:58:17 »

Did you suceed, or is it another go once you've built up your strength again?
Grumpy old man

Nick

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2006, 09:02:40 »

It is done, but i had to use a very large hammer to release the ball joint.

Nick

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2006, 09:06:54 »

At least its done, and another satisfying job complete.  Worth getting alignment (ideally full geomtery) done afterwards...
Grumpy old man

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2006, 09:19:40 »

Have you managed to remove the bolt? It has to be removed completely before the the pin will come out of the upright.
It can be rusted in and needs lots of penetrating oil, esp. in the 'slot'. Then use a good socket or a hex socket on a breaker bar and move the bolt a little at a time, back and forth, keep adding more penetrating fluid until the bolt finally 'unscrews' from the rust.

If the joint pin is stuck in the upright then get a thin, narrow chisel (cold steel, not wood working) or a chunky screwdriver and tap it into the slot to expand the socket slightly, add more penetrating fluid, then support the hub or edge of the brake disk (use a wood packer under a jack) whilst persuading the wishbone downwards with a hammer applied to the end of a bit of 2x2.
The ball joint pin has a groove which the bolt locates in, this prevents the pin coming out if the nut and bolt were to come loose but also provides a space for rust to build up which is what causes it to stick in the upright.

When I started this reply you hadnt got it free but now you have....doesnt work get in the way of more interesting activities
« Last Edit: 15 September 2006, 09:23:31 by Pete »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2006, 09:56:22 »

feel for you matchless have been in this situation recently and STILL not got a proactive solution.

Fortunatly it wass a now disposed of Rover and i ended up angle grinding everything to get what i wanted.

Heat, sockets, ball joint seperators all failed. Many bruised knuckles as well :o
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2006, 10:34:01 »

Well done nick I have got the fun of doing the front wishbones on the front of my dads Black omega my project car. :)

Nick

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2006, 13:18:25 »

The problem was that there was not much space between the suspension leg and the wishbone to get a good chisel in the slot. Plus the bolt at the back of the wishbone that is easy to get too. I never knew i was double jointed but i was last night reaching under the car round the steering arms to get to the bolt.

Nick

Nick

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2006, 13:08:59 »

After changing the wishbones i went for MOT on saturday. two advisory comments.

1. Inside edge of tyres worn
2. Blow on exhaust back box.

I knew the car had a blow on the exhaust but did not know where so i can now fix this.

Tracking was very badly out after wishbones so went and had that done yesterday, 3 hours later and £100 later i left. They said all omega's seem top be the same. All the adjusters were seized solid and they had to haet them all and place a 6 foot bar or the rachet to get them moving.

It now drives the best it has ever done and i am very pleased but my wallet is not.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Cheers Nick

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2006, 13:14:49 »

£100????? Jeeez, what did they do for that sort of money?

Tip here guys. Before you do the wishbones soak the tracking joints in penetrating oil, then again when you finish. Takes 2 minutes, but then it all undoes nice and easy when you go to Mr Kwick Stitch for your ripoffski therapy.

Nick

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2006, 13:18:47 »

They did work on it for 3 solid hours as i waited and watched.

my cars never go to a garage unless it is for tracking, i do all other work myself but i did think it was expensive.

Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.