Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft Vista  (Read 3102 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Microsoft Vista
« on: 16 September 2006, 17:32:17 »

Is it me, or is it slow?

Running beta 2 (should have RC1 on in a few hours), and its taken about 3hrs to copy a 7.5Gb file from the server to the Vista machine (same thing under XP is less than 10m)  >:(

I know its beta, and probably still running a lot of debug code, but thats ridiculous. Is RC1 any quicker?
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

Re: Microsoft Vista
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2006, 20:16:08 »

Since when has Windows got quicker. XP seems no faster on a P4 than 98 on my 4 year old 2nd PC at work

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2006, 20:18:37 »

I would never expect XP to be faster than 98. Nobody should ever, ever, ever have used Win9x.  XP did have performance advantages over its proper predecessor, W2k.

I expect it to be slower - things like Aero are going to take their toll - but disk performance is abysmal...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2006, 20:56:48 »

Why should W9x have not been used then?

I am the only person who turns off all animation, fade effects and anything which ponces about before drawing what I want - my pet hate is animated menus

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2006, 21:03:40 »

Win 9x was a kludge. Never 32 bit. Awful system, no security, too easily compromised. People using such systems on the Internet were causing huge problems, as these systems are difficult to keep uncompromised. Software firewalls added to the problem by giving a false sense of security.

Now that they are all out of support with Microsoft, hopefully nobody now is that irresponsible to run such systems  >:(
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2006, 21:24:35 »

98 is great with DOS apps, multitask with them, we used to have some great systems

Win98 W/S with Netware 4.2 SP4 (and TURBODIS) servers running Advantage Database Server with Clipper 5.3B applications in VGA graphics mode

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2006, 21:29:31 »

Nope, 9x is/was/always will be unusable. Only suitable for a (bad) games machine.  Using it in business would always be false economy.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2006, 21:56:59 »

LOts of businesses used it for years with no problems

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2006, 22:03:23 »

Lots of businesses THOUGHT they used it without problems.

However, if they had done a proper study, they would have discovered that it was false economy when compared to proper OSes like NT.

Hence, any business software I have written for Windows specifically checks for NT, and won't run if running under Win9x.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2006, 22:12:45 »

Lots of businesses THOUGHT they used it without problems.

However, if they had done a proper study, they would have discovered that it was false economy when compared to proper OSes like NT.

Hence, any business software I have written for Windows specifically checks for NT, and won't run if running under Win9x.

I can think of 40 - 50 businesses who used it without problems as network clients.

Businesses tend to do a lot of one or two apps. and internet connectivity was rare. Work stations were shut down at the end of the day as well. It was also fast with 16 bit programs.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2006, 22:23:53 »

It was also fast with 16 bit programs.
It should be - it was a 16bit OS under the skin...

Alas, it can't multitask preemtively, hangs on a network glitch, and falls over more often than me on a friday night...

Has an awful filesystem (FAT) with no tolerance against corruption. No security to protect data from deletion or authorised viewing. It was built on an OS that was never designed for networking.

Once NT hit 3.5 (3.1 was a bit challenging some days) there was no reason to run non NT versions of Windows in business. NT3.5 predates W95.

Nope, Win9x only suitable for games...
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2006, 22:35:40 »

It was also fast with 16 bit programs.
It should be - it was a 16bit OS under the skin...

Alas, it can't multitask preemtively, hangs on a network glitch, and falls over more often than me on a friday night...

Has an awful filesystem (FAT) with no tolerance against corruption. No security to protect data from deletion or authorised viewing. It was built on an OS that was never designed for networking.

Once NT hit 3.5 (3.1 was a bit challenging some days) there was no reason to run non NT versions of Windows in business. NT3.5 predates W95.

Nope, Win9x only suitable for games...

Multitasks DOS fine and handles 32 bit windows programs OK but not as well as XP. Security is fine as Netware security is good, as to corruption NFS is excellent, with a client server database engine data was safe once mirrored drives were used.

Standalone it was not so good - single user customers tended to reindex regularly.

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2006, 22:37:16 »

98 rebooting  - when powered off overnight it gets that OK.

What gets me is how slow DOS IPX connections are compared to 98

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2006, 22:38:57 »

Security is fine as Netware security is good, as to corruption NFS is excellent, with a client server database engine data was safe once mirrored drives were used.
yes, netware is secure, with reasonable, but not recoverable file system. but we are talking about w9x, not netware.

Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2006, 23:18:31 »

Security is fine as Netware security is good, as to corruption NFS is excellent, with a client server database engine data was safe once mirrored drives were used.
yes, netware is secure, with reasonable, but not recoverable file system. but we are talking about w9x, not netware.

I am talking about business use - where you need servers and the systems our customes used were generally very reliable - and used 98 workstations
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.