Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rover Mondeo?  (Read 4045 times)

STMO123

Rover Mondeo?
« on: 19 September 2006, 10:58:50 »

Heard on the news this morning that ford have taken up the option to own the rover brand.
Talk about a marriage made in heaven(NOT) ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Rover Mondeo?
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2006, 11:08:22 »

Trouble is the Rover brand is pretty worthless now....

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2006, 11:11:39 »

Trouble is the Rover brand is pretty worthless now....

They're not buying it just to kill off the competition then???? ;D

Ford GTMGZTT ;D Catchy eh!
« Last Edit: 19 September 2006, 11:14:20 by STMO123 »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2006, 11:18:41 »

oh great now not only do we have ROVER aluminium heads failiing but they will be FORD tappety too
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2006, 11:26:25 »

oh great now not only do we have ROVER aluminium heads failiing
Don't say that - I'm dreading the day when the little 25's engine pops a gasket  :'(.  Strange, but I kinda like that car - crap build quality, naff seats, but its got a certain 'bomb around' thrashability about it  :D
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2006, 11:47:05 »

oh great now not only do we have ROVER aluminium heads failiing
Don't say that - I'm dreading the day when the little 25's engine pops a gasket  :'(.  Strange, but I kinda like that car - crap build quality, naff seats, but its got a certain 'bomb around' thrashability about it  :D

Thats because its barely bigger than a Corsa.....its what small cars feel like, the Nova used to be the same.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2006, 11:49:01 »

I tried everything to kill my little J-reg 214 but it wouldn't have it!  I religiously changed the oil every MOT and thrashed it everywhere.  Never even opened the hood between MOT's except for once.  The king lead rotted out and I had to walk to Halfords.  Other than that the engine was perfect.

If I was Ford with all the cash they have I'd be tempted to buy the Rover name and bury it.  They could also prefer to do Rover branded Modeos, Foci, etc. instead of the current Jaguar branded ones.  Their platforms translate into Volvos pretty well, but they seem to want to drop Jaguar b/c it is too much work to tweak their platforms to match that slot in the market.  It would be a lot easier and cheaper to do them as Rovers, and a larger market.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2006, 11:53:24 »

Heard on the news this morning that ford have taken up the option to own the rover brand.
As I understood it; Ford own the Rover brand & want to keep it because of Land Rover & will not let anyone else use it.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2006, 12:14:17 »

As I understood it; Ford own the Rover brand & want to keep it because of Land Rover & will not let anyone else use it.

They didn't own it, they had first refusal on it.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2006, 12:14:33 by STMO123 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2006, 14:58:35 »

Strange, but I kinda like that car - crap build quality, naff seats, but its got a certain 'bomb around' thrashability about it  :D

Thats because its barely bigger than a Corsa.....its what small cars feel like, the Nova used to be the same.

Its hugely bigger than a Corsa - thats where BMW's marketing all went wrong with it, making out it was a super mini. It is far larger than the crap Focus we had to tolerate for 2 years as a lease car.
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2006, 15:09:02 »

Strange, but I kinda like that car - crap build quality, naff seats, but its got a certain 'bomb around' thrashability about it  :D

Its hugely bigger than a Corsa - thats where BMW's marketing all went wrong with it, making out it was a super mini. It is far larger than the crap Focus we had to tolerate for 2 years as a lease car.

Now,nowTB. your getting quite precious about a rover there. Starting to sound like me ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2006, 15:09:57 »

Wrong.....
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] Rover 25FocusCorsa
Length399041523839
Width168816991646
Height141914301440
Drag Factor 0.38 0.32 0.32

See, barely bigger than a Corsa....you can imagine BMW looking at it and thinking....these bloody muppets have desigend a car which is not as big as an Astra/Focus but costs more than a Corsa/Fiesta...it didn't have a market......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2006, 15:17:53 »

Wrong.....
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] Rover 25FocusCorsa
Length399041523839
Width168816991646
Height141914301440
Drag Factor 0.38 0.32 0.32

See, barely bigger than a Corsa....you can imagine BMW looking at it and thinking....these bloody muppets have desigend a car which is not as big as an Astra/Focus but costs more than a Corsa/Fiesta...it didn't have a market......
Having owned a R25, and Focus (albeit leased), (and a Nova-even older than your old one!), I can assure you the Rover is a hugely bigger car, that goes considerably better (both 1.6), and handles better.

Despite my Rover only being 3 door, adult passengers in back (obviously not 6 footers) never complained, whereas they did with Focus (5 door).  Also, we couldn't get a weeks shopping in Focus, let alone any lugguage for a weekend away. Rover has bigger boot by longshot.

The Focus did have a better build quality though, and the interior didn't look quite so 'cheap' (though the seats were uncomfortable on journeys longer than 30 miles...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2006, 15:25:57 »

Its makes no odds.......its smaller than a Focus and barely bigger than a Corsa (the figures are correct) so it feels like a smaller car to drive, it might feel bigger inside but, that has nothing to do with road presence.....Focus has much better head room than the 25 (its main failing if you had a sun roof was head room) and I can throw a Focus round a lot better than a 25 (the Focus chassis has much less flex).....plus I have tried (we used to get them as rental cars ;)).

BMW must have been pulling their hair out.....they had two main cars, the 25 and 45, which couldn't compete as cheap cars in the next class up (to small and basic) and were to expensive to compete in the next class down.......market share starts to fall away and your doomed, particularly if you are staring at a total re-design (mega bucks) to get back into a market which you now have a bad name in.

So, bin the name and under performing plant and produce the Mini and 1 series under your own name......makes perfect business sense (don tell the guys in Longbridge though....)
« Last Edit: 19 September 2006, 15:27:11 by Mark »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2006, 15:28:05 »

Bloody hell, I'm starting to sound like somebody who knows a bit about development and marketing....must ask for a rise  ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.