Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dodgy Alarm  (Read 2840 times)

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
Dodgy Alarm
« on: 14 July 2006, 15:01:07 »

I have lived with this problem but would prefer to sort it.

The alarm on my 98 reflection will go off at random. No 4 beeps as I have seen mentioned on other threads. It might be after 1 hour or 12.

I have bought a new car battery, checked the in car sensors. I have even tried pressing the alarm button to disable the cockpit but to no avail.

So to avoid problem, I now shut all doors except drivers side passenger door and reach in and press down the door lock to activate the central locking. then close remaining door. When returning to car at least I can open on the keyfob.

As I said I have sort of got use to it now, but wife did lock keys in car once using this method (dont ask!) and after getting spare key to unlock, spent a whole day repairing the drivers door when some useless dude tried to help wife with a piece of metal!

On the basis that wife will do it again (they only remember the important things in life - like when is the next holiday) would like to sort.

right coming up for fresh air now

bernie400

On driveway: Blue 2.5 Reflection, Black 406(boring) & Ascona 400 (will be in Rothmans, oh yes!)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgy Alarm
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2006, 15:04:37 »

Check the Bonnet alarm plunger as when the bonnet gets hot it affect the sensor/plunger also mentioned in another thread.

Make sure the bracket on the PAS bottle is tight and the plunger is making good contact.

Here is the thread http://omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152786754 this thread might be similar to your problem.

HTH
« Last Edit: 14 July 2006, 15:08:02 by nixoro »

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2006, 15:12:38 »

thanks for that,

will check and adjust in the morning  -  do not want to be getting up in the middle of night if it is not the problem!

Can the plunger be raised to wipe any chance of it going off due to heat in bonnet - as I have now just read on another thread?

bernie400
On driveway: Blue 2.5 Reflection, Black 406(boring) & Ascona 400 (will be in Rothmans, oh yes!)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2006, 15:19:33 »

I think the pluger ribbed cover piece comes of but be careful when removing as the pin inside can snap.

HTH
« Last Edit: 14 July 2006, 15:23:42 by nixoro »

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2006, 15:22:53 »

thanks again.  :)

will report back after weekend

bernie400

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2006, 15:33:22 »

Is the alarm the horn, or a power sounder. If its horn, suspect the bonnet switch or ultrasonics, if its power sounder, suspect power sounder unit or wiring to it.
Grumpy old man

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2006, 15:37:38 »

It is the horn - what a bloo*y racket

so you are both pointing me to the bonnet plunger. although this seems the most likely culprit, are they any codes that are stored for alarm faults that would confirm this?

bernie400

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2006, 16:18:50 »

Yup, but you'd need Tech2 (real one, not cheapo lead) to read alarm log...
Grumpy old man

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2006, 14:12:20 »

ok attended to the problem saturday morning.

the plunger appeared to be in its original position and was hitting the bonnet cleanly.

So as suggested I put some of the wifes nail varnish on the plunger to mark the bonnet.

Now you know the little stick on plastic blobs (bad description I know) that you get to stick on kitchen doors or drawers I used one of those on the bonnet to ensure the plunger is pressed right down.

Had the alarm on over the weekend (even risked overnight) and everthing ok - so far.

forum working the way it should.

thanks guys

bernie 400

archermk

• Roundabout City, Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2006, 15:32:34 »

The bonnet plunger is a common problem, I found the extra padding worked for a while then it would wake me up again. I've now disconnected the circuit cable from the plunger and I have no more problems except when someone looking under the bonnet tries to help me by plugging it back in. The rest of the system still works fine without it.

And, I may be missing something, but why is it there anyway? Just in case someone wants to steal your DIS pack or spark plugs?

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2006, 15:41:10 »

ok will bear that in mind for the future.

I suppose it is alarmed to stop someone opening the bonnet and trying to disconnect the alarm etc in peace and quite - cannot think of any other reason.

bernie400

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2006, 16:32:48 »

Any alarm worth its salt has to stop entry to bonnet, esp a Thatcham approved one like the Omega's one
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.