Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC Years and Years  (Read 3976 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
BBC Years and Years
« on: 04 July 2019, 16:17:38 »

Well, wow!!

At last I have managed to view the whole of the Years and Years BBC drama the some good person on here suggested I do.  So glad I have!! 8) 8)

What a thought provoking piece of drama, that covered for me reminders of history, along with political philosophy that covers how mankind is in so many respects, and why events have transpired in history, whilst being a very real warning of what could happen in the future, and maybe not the distant future.

It touched on the philosophy of Plato, through to my favourite, Hobbes, and then Marx, with the theories contained within the two formers works especially, The Republic and Leviathan, made contact with.  It touched on the history of the Third Reich and the distorted theories of Friedrich Nietzsche, with some Machiavellianism thrown in, and the counter-factual history of if those Nazi bastards had won. It reflected back to the French Revolution, and the ultimate Ace we, the free people of our very being, our true human spirit, hold, the one of up-rising against oppression, of over-powering evil with good, with the latter always the winner, although that may take considerable time and much cost.

Although, as this is a car forum, I would take issue with the producers that they failed to progress the number plates and types of car beyond our current year (I am always looking for the out of period features in historical period dramas), it was a superb effort which should give us much food for much thought, and maybe even modify how we might act in future? 8) 8) 8) :y
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 16:22:27 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

Re: BBC Years and Years
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2019, 16:32:45 »

Or......it was entertaining, but a load of old tosh from the people who do Dr Who.  ;D
Your very impressionable, Lizzie.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2019, 16:45:38 »

Some  interesting touches but I much prefer killing Eve  or Gentleman Jack.

The BBC does good damas
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2019, 16:48:59 »

Or......it was entertaining, but a load of old tosh from the people who do Dr Who.  ;D

So you really think nothing like that can happen?

How do you know?  The majority of people would never have believed a book written in 1929 would have accepted that a presentation about a democracy like Germany could be turned within 1 year into a dictatorship, and whole sections of the populous would disappear.

No, it was drama, but look around us and the rest of the world now, and what is happening, and anything like the various parts of this work, either as a whole, or separate, COULD happen.  Do not dismiss it.

Read into "very impressionable", "very open minded" and thoughtful on family and general European history. ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 16:51:52 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2019, 16:50:28 »

The BBC does good damas

Yep, exactly right Varche, and some, as you well know, begrudge paying £13 per month for all of this, and a lot more, BBC output! ::) ::)

:y :y

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2019, 17:09:01 »

How do you know?  The majority of people would never have believed a book written in 1929 would have accepted that a presentation about a democracy like Germany could be turned within 1 year into a dictatorship, and whole sections of the populous would disappear.

No, it was drama, but look around us and the rest of the world now, and what is happening, and anything like the various parts of this work, either as a whole, or separate, COULD happen.  Do not dismiss it.

Read into "very impressionable", "very open minded" and thoughtful on family and general European history. ;) ;)
OK, let me put it differently, you're a fantasist.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2019, 17:20:25 »

The BBC does good damas

This is excellent, but I wouldn't want to meet her down a dark alley. :)

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2019, 17:33:42 »

The BBC does good damas

This is excellent, but I wouldn't want to meet her down a dark alley. :)
Surely you'd show her what she was missing?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2019, 18:42:26 »

OK, let me put it differently, you're a fantasist.
Well, no.  The writers of this drama could be accused of that.

I haven't been blessed with that level of imagination! ::) ::) :P

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2019, 20:26:30 »

The BBC does good damas

Yep, exactly right Varche, and some, as you well know, begrudge paying £13 per month for all of this, and a lot more, BBC output! ::) ::)

:y :y

Its not about the £13 a month. Its about being force to pay it on threat of imprisonment whether I watch or not. No place for such tosh in the 21st century.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2019, 20:44:02 »

I'd wager that if they scrapped the TV licence and instead did a NetFlix with the iplayer, but made it available internationally they'd raise much more cash.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2019, 20:48:36 »

I'd wager that if they scrapped the TV licence and instead did a NetFlix with the iplayer, but made it available internationally they'd raise much more cash.  :y
The bbc doesn't levy the tv license 'tax', the government does. You are taxed by the government for having a tv, but they contract the bbc to collect it.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2019, 20:51:36 »

But what would the "1" button do on the remote control then  :-\
I'd have to get the TV manual out and get Mrs Builder to read it  :o
she's "put it somewhere safe"  ::)   

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2019, 20:53:22 »

And the money is then kept by the BBC (with some creamed of by Marxism today Channel 4) to provide us with a "service".
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2019, 20:56:11 »

The bbc doesn't levy the tv license 'tax', the government does. You are taxed by the government for having a tv, but they contract the bbc to collect it.

I know that.  The government should scrap the TV Tax and tell the Beeb to sink or swim!  :)

Making the iplayer a subscription service at say £13 a month is just one way of swimming.  :y
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 20:57:56 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.