Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 TDI turbo whine? is now much louder than before  (Read 2526 times)

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDX TDI Saloon
    • View Profile
2.2 TDI turbo whine? is now much louder than before
« on: 24 May 2018, 17:55:07 »

I searched with turbo whine but nothing seemed too relevant ...

I have always been able to hear a little turbo whine noise but it has recently become much louder and very noticeable.  Even t'missus now notices it and I'm always looking over my shoulder to see how far away the flashing blue lights are :(.

1.  If I rev the engine while in neutral I do not hear it, even at 2500 RPM.

2.  When driving, the turbo whine seems to start at about 1200-1500 RPM and gets louder and changes frequency as the revs increase. 

3.  I think that the car is somewhat perkier and I am getting more torque at lower revs than usual.  Previously the turbo it didn't seem to do much until ~2000 RPM but it is now giving me more torque at 1500 RPM.

51 reg, 83,000 miles.

All thoughts will be appreciated.

GrahamT

• Rhyl
    • Omega/Calibra/Manta
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 TDI turbo whine? is now much louder than before
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2018, 18:25:18 »

If you really are getting more boost (going faster at lower rpm) then maybe your waste gate is sticking shut.

I'm not an omega diesel expert though.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2018, 07:32:38 »

Do you have any holes in the exhaust pipe, particularly near the front end. The box under the driver's seat is often a good candidate ?

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2018, 11:24:38 »

Many thanks for your suggestions. 

I also have the dreaded "Low beam Fld/Vision" error message so, once the weather is better, I'll crawl under it to have a look at both problems.

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2018, 15:42:19 »

It went into the garage for something else and they could not find any cause for it - the waste gate was OK and no holes in the exhaust.  They suggested that I just live with it ...

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2018, 18:44:44 »

I tend to agree. If it's boosting fine then it probably is fine. If you really want to take all the oil pipes off, clean them, check the spindle for excess play and also check all the grommets in the bulkhead to see if one has dislodged then by all means do. Otherwise I'd live with it.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2018, 01:00:40 »

Leave it alone until it gets worse,
I have one here if you are going
To need a new one. If it starts to
Smoke stop using it as it may
rev itself to death on engine oil.
Nevef know could last for a while
But keep an eye on it, don’t let it
Go too bad.

Laying a rubber road.

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2018, 11:11:27 »

Many thanks for new responses and especially for letting me know you have one - I may need to buy it!

The whine started suddenly a few weeks ago.  I then realised I was getting a "thump from the nearside back" when I started the car so, when I had the air-conditioning refilled, I asked them to look at the exhaust mounts as I thought the silencer was hitting the body.

It transpired that whole exhaust system had been pushed back a little and the pipework was slightly bent, allowing the silencer to strike the floor.  The pipe needs to be removed and straightened.

A big light then went off in my head. 

I had recently driven quite slowly over a viscous sleeping policemen hump at a garden centre in Bristol and the car - exhaust - had grounded. This is undoubtedly why the exhaust was now bent ... and possibly it damaged the flexible coupling at the front of the exhaust.  ajsphead's comment that I should check the exhaust was ringing loudly in my ears.

I will update when I get the pipe straightened and the flexible coupling checked.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2018, 18:01:02 »

Mm, that’s why it’s going better then, as you will get a small increase in boost pressure due to the leak downstream of the turbo reducing back pressure, something like fitting a bigger\ sporty exhaust. And of course making it easier to hear the turbo spooling up.
Laying a rubber road.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2018, 07:44:02 »

Many thanks for new responses and especially for letting me know you have one - I may need to buy it!

The whine started suddenly a few weeks ago.  I then realised I was getting a "thump from the nearside back" when I started the car so, when I had the air-conditioning refilled, I asked them to look at the exhaust mounts as I thought the silencer was hitting the body.

It transpired that whole exhaust system had been pushed back a little and the pipework was slightly bent, allowing the silencer to strike the floor.  The pipe needs to be removed and straightened.

A big light then went off in my head. 

I had recently driven quite slowly over a viscous sleeping policemen hump at a garden centre in Bristol and the car - exhaust - had grounded. This is undoubtedly why the exhaust was now bent ... and possibly it damaged the flexible coupling at the front of the exhaust.  ajsphead's comment that I should check the exhaust was ringing loudly in my ears.

I will update when I get the pipe straightened and the flexible coupling checked.

Turbos are quite noisy things particularly when on boost. Normally on the Omega you have a cat and 3 boxes to quieten them down. What you described is a bit like mine when I thought I'd hear what it sounded like with everything backward of the centre joint detached while I was doing some other work. Bearing in mind I have deleted the front box and had the lot rebuilt in 2 1/2" stainless to help flow. There's the typical diesel drone coupled to a high pitched loud screaming noise from the turbo.

Pop it all back together and the sound goes away.

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2018, 12:18:10 »

Examination of the flexible mesh connector at the front of the exhaust run was a bit difficult and inconclusive.  At the same time I needed a new rear silencer so it was fitted.  I think the whine has reduced a little but I am getting used to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.