Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackout  (Read 2256 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Blackout
« on: 09 September 2013, 20:18:30 »

Chan 4 tonight at 9pm,after watching the link in aaronjb,s post this could be quite an interesting docudrama.
Stand by for more doom and gloom :'(

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
Re: Blackout
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2013, 20:22:08 »

unless we get a power cut ;D ;D ;D
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

omega3000

« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2013, 20:27:01 »

Will be watching that , its not as far fetched as it seems .  :(

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2013, 20:36:55 »

am always in the dark anyway myself--always last to know---thats when Dee can be bothered to tell me :-\ she watching US open Tennis >:( I will watch Blackout--unless we get one :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2013, 13:16:27 »

This was excellent. Clearly shows how quickly society would "revert" to survival of the fittest and also how people show themselves in their true colours at times of crisis.

Reference was made to the civil contingencies act - which I had some exposure to in a previous job.

The one thing which was incorrectly portrayed as being "better" than real life was how long the mobile networks would remain operational. In the early days of GSM, many cell sites had significantly better UPS/battery reserves than they do now. The spread of microcells and urge to make sites smaller/cheaper saw much of the power resilience dispensed with on new installations and de-specced from older sites as ongoing technology refresh. In many cases sites can run for no more than a few hours before they go off the air - & really just to bridge the odd power cut - which lets's face it seldom lasts for more than a few minutes.

MR MISTER

« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2013, 13:30:11 »

Let's remember that this was a work of fiction, it was one point of view, not fact.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2013, 13:33:32 »

Let's remember that this was a work of fiction, it was one point of view, not fact.

The awkward and constantly changing camera angles pissed me off.

In the end I turned over to watch Robert Peston talking about shopping. How sad is that? :-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: 10 September 2013, 13:35:25 by Mr. Opti »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2013, 14:05:15 »

I thought it was quite good, but then I do like these docudrama Armageddon type programs.

Seems they borrowed lots of methods used in Threads and The War Game, alas, they could never reach the impact that they did.

It never ceases to amaze me how little holds society together and how weak it all is - Which is what Threads portrayed after a nuclear attack.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2013, 14:17:58 »

I thought it was quite good, but then I do like these docudrama Armageddon type programs.

Seems they borrowed lots of methods used in Threads and The War Game, alas, they could never reach the impact that they did.

It never ceases to amaze me how little holds society together and how weak it all is - Which is what Threads portrayed after a nuclear attack.

Yes. A gun could be useful, essential even, should society go completely tits up.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2013, 14:30:02 »

Lost count of the amount of times i've watched that.
Real eye opener imo
Just loved the line about going to stay with family in Lincolnshire because it will be safer there  ::) ;D ;D ;D

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2013, 14:48:40 »

Real eye opener imo
Just loved the line about going to stay with family in Lincolnshire because it will be safer there  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Somewhat ironic that - given the outcome, eh?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2013, 14:55:43 »

Real eye opener imo

Somewhat ironic that - given the outcome, eh?

Given the amount of bases in Lincolnshire / Norfolk, those areas would have just been a wasteland with close to 80% dead within the week  :(
I once got a weeks jankers for telling some spam that upon hearing the attack warning, i'd run to the centre of the runway and stick my head between my legs so I could kiss my arse goodbye  ;D
Good old american DI staff  ::) ;D

Rog

« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2013, 15:32:12 »

Yep, same here. It could have been really good if it had been more "watchable" with more coherent storylines.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2013, 16:35:29 »

Real eye opener imo

Not sure why I have to watch it again every so often.

I guess it may be because that time and all the cold war tensions seems like only yesterday.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2013, 16:46:38 »

In the end I turned over to watch Robert Peston talking about shopping. How sad is that? :-\ :-\ :-\
I know what you mean about wobbly camera work but i think it was about the people filming it on their mobiles.
Was a bit of a pain but still quite a powerful scenario.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.