Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange problem with courtesy light  (Read 3086 times)

SmokeySteve

• Church Stretton
    • Omega MV6 3.2L
    • View Profile
Strange problem with courtesy light
« on: 10 March 2018, 18:53:58 »

Hi, this is my first post and I'm hoping that one of you experts can help with an odd problem that I have.

My car is an MV6 3.2L 2003 model, I have owned it for about 3 months. It generally seems to have been well maintained and cared for.

I recently noticed that the drivers central console courtesy lights were on all the time, both whilst driving and even when the car was shut and locked. I disable them when the car is not in use by removing fuse 7.

However, upon investigation, the courtesy lights go out when the driving lights are on. When the driving lights are on I can turn the courtesy back on by (i) opening any of the doors, one by one, suggesting that the door switches are working OK or (ii) pulling out the usual 'lights on' switch on the dash, suggesting that this is also working OK.

I have had the battery disconnected for 3 days to see whether the old 'reset' trick would work (and checked the battery was fully charged whilst it was out), but no, the problem still persists.

If anyone has any advice I'd be grateful!

All the best,

Steve

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Strange problem with courtesy light
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2018, 01:13:51 »

Take it you mean courtesy lights that are controlled by the pulling of the light switch and not the map reading lights which are controlled by there local switch next to them?

SmokeySteve

• Church Stretton
    • Omega MV6 3.2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2018, 11:10:46 »

That's correct - the map reading lights that are controlled overhead are working OK. The switch for the faulty lights is on the driving light switch unit.

All the best,

Steve

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2018, 19:32:43 »

I've got the same problem and haven't had time to sort it yet. When I lock the driver's door manually with the key (which won't work remotely because the battery post is 'fubared'), it won't deadlock on a second turn and the light won't go out. When it does deadlock, the courtesy light operates correctly.
I may be wrong but this suggests a faulty or failing door lock solenoid/sensor to me, making the car believe a door is open. I think Kevin Wood has done one of his excellent guides on this subject somewhere.
I would be interested in your progress on this, and if I can eventually get round to doing mine I'll post any useful results.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2018, 20:01:20 »

Does it go out after about 10 mins?  If so, has somebody done the boot mod to it...
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2018, 23:44:04 »

Does it go out after about 10 mins?  If so, has somebody done the boot mod to it...
I  believe its more like 20 to 30 seconds with the Boot Mod, at least on the DBW,s anyway.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2018, 18:14:48 »

I  believe its more like 20 to 30 seconds with the Boot Mod, at least on the DBW,s anyway.
It'll be the standard "left the door open" timeout, as that's effectively what the mod does...
Grumpy old man

SmokeySteve

• Church Stretton
    • Omega MV6 3.2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2018, 19:38:08 »

Thanks to all those who have taken the trouble to respond to this.

A little more information on my problem:

On exiting and locking the car, the courtesy lights turn off after around 30 minutes. They are definitely still on after 20 minutes.

Also, it would appear that my deadlocking is not working, as a second press of the 'close button' or a second anticlockwise turn on the drivers door lock has no apparent effect, nor indication (I seem to remember from previous Omegas you got an indicator light flash, but that was almost 20 years ago?).

Does this suggest the drivers door lock is the culprit?

All the best, Steve

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2018, 20:19:39 »

Rtm.
Hoof'land storeman.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2018, 21:30:37 »

Smokeysteve.
You don't seem to be getting much help with this. I just haven't had time to investigate my similar fault any further yet, but can report that after disconnecting the battery for a few days to prevent its becoming drained, my deadlocking is working after re-connection, and the lights are behaving normally.
I still think the problem lies with the central locking in some way, but like all intermittent faults it will probably be a bugger to resolve.
I'll let you know if I get this sorted.

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2018, 05:52:36 »

Have noticed on one of my omegas that the main light switch gets worn. Normally the interior light should come on when pulling the switch about 5mm or so from the dash. But had a couple of switches where the lights come on by the switch almost not moving at all. Sometimes had to push the switch in even when it already was in the in position to kill the interior lights.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2018, 10:17:26 »

That's correct - the map reading lights that are controlled overhead are working OK. The switch for the faulty lights is on the driving light switch unit.

All the best,

Steve

Erm try a new switch, you seem to suggest that the headlight switch is the problem.
Hoof'land storeman.

SmokeySteve

• Church Stretton
    • Omega MV6 3.2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2018, 13:14:47 »

Thanks for the help. I have had the battery disconnected for 3 days, but in my case reconnecting didn't solve the problem  :(  I don't think its the light switch because when the courtesy lights are off (driving lights on) pulling the light switch out works as expected and the action seems nice and firm. I do think it is related to the central locking. When I bought the car one of the declared faults was that front passenger side central locking didn't work, but it did (!), for a while, then it stopped again. If these lights go out after 30 mins, presumeably when the ECU goes to sleep (?), the battery drain should be quite small, so I'm just going to leave fuse 7 in and see what happens. Maybe I'll try slamming the drivers door a dozen times - but who knows whatelse may stop working!

All the best,

Steve

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2018, 17:06:09 »

Damn, just seen your location, is that in Shropshire? Had I known, I could have brought Tech2, as I'm local for a few days  :-[
Grumpy old man

SmokeySteve

• Church Stretton
    • Omega MV6 3.2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2018, 17:14:55 »

Yep, 5 miles out of Church Stretton, around 15 miles south of Shrewsbury or Telford. If you're here again, let me know!

All the best, Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.