Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SatNav CD Required or Not??  (Read 5320 times)

mka306

SatNav CD Required or Not??
« on: 25 May 2015, 19:21:02 »

When I purchased my omega elite I was told it did not have the cd required for the Sat Nav, is this something required to make it work or will it be fine without it? If I do require one can you still get hold of one for the omega?

Any advice is appreciated :y

powerslinky

Re: SatNav CD Required or Not??
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2015, 19:36:01 »

Presume it will have the NCDC 2013 head unit in it.  Sat nav won't work without a disc.  Sat nav disc goes in the single horizontal slot in the front of the unit.  music CD's go in the 4 CD cartridge behind the bottom flap.

To test if sat nav CD works  . .  just put in a music CD  & it should play if all OK :y

Sat nav discs are available from E bay etc . but get a genuine one not a cheap copy.

Same applies to music CD's  don't ever  use computer copied discs , genuine compact disc only . Or lasers will burn out very quickly.

See Dave DND's article on "Omega CD players & copied discs" at the top of this  section  :y

hope this helps :y
« Last Edit: 25 May 2015, 19:42:02 by Essex Big Al »

mka306

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2015, 20:21:07 »

Presume it will have the NCDC 2013 head unit in it.  Sat nav won't work without a disc.  Sat nav disc goes in the single horizontal slot in the front of the unit.  music CD's go in the 4 CD cartridge behind the bottom flap.

To test if sat nav CD works  . .  just put in a music CD  & it should play if all OK :y

Sat nav discs are available from E bay etc . but get a genuine one not a cheap copy.

Same applies to music CD's  don't ever  use computer copied discs , genuine compact disc only . Or lasers will burn out very quickly.

See Dave DND's article on "Omega CD players & copied discs" at the top of this  section  :y

Thanks Big Al that is really very helpful, I will test with a cd when she arrives and hopefully I will find a genuine nav disc on the bay, I expect they won't be cheap :-\

powerslinky

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2015, 20:26:02 »

Thanks Big Al that is really very helpful, I will test with a cd when she arrives and hopefully I will find a genuine nav disc on the bay, I expect they won't be cheap :-\

Around £50 as I recall . . . . but don't buy one until you have tested the laser with a music CD ;) ;)

Another point  . . . try & make sure you get the "car pass" with the manuals & paperwork . Car pass is a small credit card sized document with the cars key & ID codes . Important you try & get this , it's often in the black handbook folder . otherwise up to £50 to get another from VX  :o :o
« Last Edit: 25 May 2015, 20:31:17 by Essex Big Al »

mka306

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2015, 20:34:51 »

Thanks again Big Al i'll do that for sure, great info and very helpful :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2015, 22:56:35 »

When you want to play a music CD in the Sat Nav drive (upper one) you will need to select which drive using the CDC button lower left. :y :)

mka306

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2015, 03:09:31 »

Thanks for the heads up zirk, learning new things about the omega and I haven't laid hands on her yet, lol.

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2015, 06:33:02 »

Is this for all sat navs? I'm picking up a W ref Elite this weekend with sat nav but the disc is out of date .. Don't know what unit is fitted to it though. Can I still get an updated disc for this too?

mka306

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2015, 08:56:04 »

Is this for all sat navs? I'm picking up a W ref Elite this weekend with sat nav but the disc is out of date .. Don't know what unit is fitted to it though. Can I still get an updated disc for this too?

If there were any updates from Vauxhall then yes you can buy an update disc, I don't know how up to date it would be for a system that is no longer used but I believe the disc was used in more than one unit, for example I think you can use the same disc with the cdc 40 used in the Vectra.

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2015, 09:08:42 »

I see.. Interesting to know :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2015, 10:57:12 »

When you want to play a music CD in the Sat Nav drive (upper one) you will need to select which drive using the CDC button lower left. :y :)
Not quite - you need to press the "CD" button in top right of the circular series of buttons in the middle ;).  CDC selects the bottom 4 disks :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2015, 11:00:30 »

W = 2000, thus on changeover period.

If MFL, it'll be CARiN, I think latest map disk was 2008, but the system is slow with this map disk in.  System software update disk is a separate disk.

If FL, it'll be NCDC201x series, latest map disk is 2010/2011.  Not matter what the map producer (Navteq) says, you do **NOT** need the "Update Disk" for updating system software, as its on the Map disk.  The system software was last updated in 2005 IIRC, and doesn't do postcodes (for those that are used to more modern (but shite) portable satnav units).
Grumpy old man

mka306

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2015, 11:03:51 »

W = 2000, thus on changeover period.

If MFL, it'll be CARiN, I think latest map disk was 2008, but the system is slow with this map disk in.  System software update disk is a separate disk.

If FL, it'll be NCDC201x series, latest map disk is 2010/2011.  Not matter what the map producer (Navteq) says, you do **NOT** need the "Update Disk" for updating system software, as its on the Map disk.  The system software was last updated in 2005 IIRC, and doesn't do postcodes (for those that are used to more modern (but shite) portable satnav units).

I assume the sat nav units are pretty good in the omega's then?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2015, 11:12:43 »

I assume the sat nav units are pretty good in the omega's then?
Absolutely featureless. All it can do is get you from where you are now to where you want to go. The biggest gripes from most people on here are the gimmicks like no postcodes and no speed cameras.

*BUT* despite being a 15yr old system, it is still a million times better that the most modern, poxy portable units that every idiot sticks in their line of sight. It has the advantage of speed signals from the axles and gyros to allow it to remain reasonably accurate when the portable units are in pure guess mode. (The older CARiN unit, you could actually get away with using for a few days with the GPS aerial unplugged!)

My last TomTom unit is somewhere at the end of the Aston Expressway, as I expect a single function device to do exactly what it is supposed to do. It didn't, so I ensured it never pissed me off again.  I never bothered to replace it.  I'd rather have an old proper, built in one than a poxy portable new one.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2015, 11:14:06 »

If your car is equipped with a GID, you only get pictorial images of upcoming junctions. If you have a CID, you can have pictorial or map images, plus pop-up close ups for complex junctions
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.