Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Sorry" Tow Bar Electrics Help  (Read 4894 times)

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
Re: "Sorry" Tow Bar Electrics Help
« Reply #30 on: 26 August 2008, 10:40:11 »

They are 4 pin as standard by the way!

Are they? Have I bought a 4 pin I didnt need? :-/
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 August 2008, 11:13:39 »

Are they? Have I bought a 4 pin I didnt need? :-/

No, they are a little more complex so they dont flash at a different speed with the extra indicator lighting load on the trailer lighting bar.

alexandjen

• Omega Knight
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
  • The Silver Surfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 August 2008, 17:22:20 »

No didnt use the by pass relay.

Connected direct to the loom that has a purpose made plug on it.

But you have to fit these 2 extra Vx relays

and I cant find the indicator relay? Anyone? :(

So if you don't use the bypass relay do you have to use the Vx relays or is there another solution?

I fitted a bypass relay a while back and everything seems ok as far as the trailer lighting is concerned but my cruise control stopped working around the same time ::)

I didn't use the brake light feed in the connector plug in the boot but instead spliced into the nearside feed to the brakelight.

Can anyone confirm if this configuration is ok?

Can someone also clarify what else is needed to use the brake light feed in the trailer connector in the boot?

Is it just a case of shorting out a relay socket with a length of wire or does it need relays?

I'd like to rewire mine without the by pass relay and use the supplied brake feed wire to see if my cruise will start working.
Trade club card holder
Code scanner available

alexandjen

• Omega Knight
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
  • The Silver Surfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 August 2008, 08:43:46 »

Cheers Kevin. :y

Do you also think I don't need this Bypass Relay?

I don't believe you will need it, no.

I think tow bar dealers sell them to cover themselves when they don't know the car.

You will just need a 7 pin socket and a length of cable. Wire the socket to the towing plug in the boot (may even be able to get the connector for this from Vauxhall, otherwise, solder and heat shrink). Then find the brake light failure sensor socket and either bridge the pins or fit the sensor.
Then either fit a 4 wire indicator flasher and bulb to the dash or fit an indicator warning buzzer.

Kevin

Kevin, is this just a 2 pin base that needs bridgeing?
Trade club card holder
Code scanner available

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 August 2008, 21:08:52 »

Its normaly the central one in the cabin relay box under the steering wheel.

Obviously I'd need to find the original flasher relay from my car, but I'm sure that I removed a 3 pin & replaced it with a 4 pin.
I've just looked in the garage & found A N Other 3 pin GM flasher relay though.  ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 September 2008, 14:05:00 »

I think tow bar dealers sell them to cover themselves when they don't know the car.

You will just need a 7 pin socket and a length of cable. Wire the socket to the towing plug in the boot (may even be able to get the connector for this from Vauxhall, otherwise, solder and heat shrink). Then find the brake light failure sensor socket and either bridge the pins or fit the sensor.
Then either fit a 4 wire indicator flasher and bulb to the dash or fit an indicator warning buzzer.

Kevin

It's a 4 pin base (P39 on wiring diagram) of which 2 pins need bridging (pins 2 and 6 - make up a 2" length of wire with a spade connector on each end and it'll do the job).

The colour coding of the two wires that need bridging are the same as the colour coding of the brake light signal at the towing connector (Black and Yellow IIRC) so they're easy to spot. The other two wires on the socket are not coded the same and should be left unconnected.

Incidentally, I find the standard flasher unit is fine driving the extra trailer bulb. I guess the only reason to change it would be to get the dashboard towing lamp to work.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

alexandjen

• Omega Knight
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
  • The Silver Surfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 September 2008, 21:31:48 »

Kevin

It's a 4 pin base (P39 on wiring diagram) of which 2 pins need bridging (pins 2 and 6 - make up a 2" length of wire with a spade connector on each end and it'll do the job).

The colour coding of the two wires that need bridging are the same as the colour coding of the brake light signal at the towing connector (Black and Yellow IIRC) so they're easy to spot. The other two wires on the socket are not coded the same and should be left unconnected.

Incidentally, I find the standard flasher unit is fine driving the extra trailer bulb. I guess the only reason to change it would be to get the dashboard towing lamp to work.

Kevin

Cheers Kevin, much appreciated :y
Trade club card holder
Code scanner available
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.