Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DAB Radio  (Read 4085 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: DAB Radio
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2009, 09:30:41 »

I am a convert to DAB withoubt a doubt in the house, and have a few Roberts portable radios knocking around, and I must say that I am very impressed. I have a small Sony DAB in the bathroom, and quality is only described as adequate at best. But then thats what I would expect. Roberts are reknowned for tuners, and the radio receives with or without the aerial extended, whereas the Sony struggles whatever you do. In the workshop we have a small Hitachi micro system in the corner belting out radio throughout the day, and the quality from the small telescopic aerial can only be described as dire, however when we threw an aerial outside and connected it up it became very listenable indeed.

As far as the car goes, the Blaupunkts are certainly one of the strongest manufacturers of tuners, possibly even the market leaders, yet can be let down on audio quality of the built in amp, so I think the comments made about not wanting to listen to it through reference speakers is an excellent way of describing it.

Here, at our place, there seem to be two schools of thought regarding the DAB systems though. The first is that the better the aerial location with regards to the outside elements, the better the reception is going to be. And the second is that there are some wild differences with build quality and this also has a major effect.

Never looked into radio bandwidths etc, but as far as FM goes, BBC Radio 4 appears to be the strongest signal strength, and Classic FM carries most of the RDS data.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 August 2009, 10:38:56 »

I haven't heard DAB through a HiFi setup, what were the circumstances under which you heard it?

I've heard a couple of decent hi-fi setups with DAB tuners and external antennae.

BBC Radio 3 FM seems to be the 'gold standard' in terms of bandwidth, I don't know if Radio 3 DAB is given a comparable bit rate?

Well, an FM Stereo station is fixed as far as transmission bandwidth goes. There is only one transmission standard which uses just over 100KHz of bandwidth for a Stereo signal, IIRC (ignoring any other subcarriers such as RDS, etc.). Distribution to the transmission site is another issue, though.

DAB does give the flexibility to assign a variable bit rate (and hence share of the bandwidth) depending on the channel content - not much point in using a lot of bandwidth for a speech-only channel like 5 sports extra!

The problem is, it's reckoned that with the ancient MPEG 1 Layer 2 coding used by DAB in the UK you need 225 KBits/sec bit rate to equal FM quality, and that takes more than twice the bandwidth of an FM station to transmit digitally - so, as it stands, DAB is less efficient in the first place. Then consider that even the main BBC channels are only transmitting at 128-192 Kbits and this is where the quality suffers.

With any digital to analogue conversion the black magic seems to be filtering out the digital artifacts. I would hope that the manufacturer of a HiFi DAB tuner would get that right.

The D to A conversion is actually pretty easy, especially with modern DACs that need very little filtering after them due to the digital filtering built in. It's the compression algorithm where you throw away large chunks of detail from the signal to cut the bandwidth. Compare DAB, MP3, MiniDisk, etc. (All marketed as "CD quality" at some point  ;D) with a format like CD, where there is no compression and the difference is like night and day IMHO.

The Blaupunkt I have been using seems excellent to me on both FM & DAB but I might not be so impressed if I were listening to it through reference speakers in a sound studio.

This is it. For casual listening it's probably acceptable. It's just the opportunity for serious listening, which, IMHO, exists with FM alongside causal "sit in the corner and make a noise" use, is denied by DAB.

It's also a shame that DAB+ is being shunned in the UK because that could have gone some way to redressing the issues by including better audio codecs and error correction. In the rush to push DAB a lot of radios that don't support DAB+ have been sold so this is now a non-starter.

I'm afraid I will be sticking with my "£15 from a junk sale" FM tuner 'til the bitter end. Even then, I have the same radio stations available over DVB and satellite TV at a higher or comparable bit rate to DAB. I can also listen to internet radio stations if I really feel the need to listen to low bit-rate digital audio.  ;)

Given that I'd need to put up another antenna for DAB (I agree that a decent antenna is a must for DAB or FM alike) I can't see myself bothering.

I have a small Sony DAB in the bathroom...

Sssh! "You know who" might be listening!  ;)

The first is that the better the aerial location with regards to the outside elements, the better the reception is going to be.

Agreed. this is true with anything, FM, DAB, etc.. It's just with DAB the sound quality is capped at a lower level by the compression algorithm.

And the second is that there are some wild differences with build quality and this also has a major effect.

Well, I'm sure there are good receivers and bad. Once they have the S/N margin that they need to receive a digital signal error-free that shouldn't really come into play in terms of sound quality, although in a car environment it also has to cope with interference and multipath, of course.

Kevin
« Last Edit: 14 August 2009, 10:42:33 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Goonybird

• Northampton
  • Shouldn't have gone to Specsavers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 August 2009, 18:35:31 »

MM obviously getting into a DAB vs FM etc.
I had Revox B261 FM reference tuner with an amplified 7 element FM antenna on a roof pole. This was to get Jazz FM at the time from London. In Northampton that put me way outside normal area for reception, so mostly mono, stereo with a bit of hiss on a good day. Then it changed to Smooth FM and they lowered the output. 

I now have a Marantz st7001 (Denon clone) Also had a Sony 777ES which was a tad better but unit color was yuk.
While absolute sound quality is not as good on Dab, it is hiss free. External Dab antenna. Brilliant.
And Planet rock as well as Jazz fm. Never listened to so much radio.

Which brings me to the point. It isn't the medium, its about the music. If these stations weren't on Dab I would suffer listening via the satellite receiver, now that is carp. 

And the Pure Highway I cant really fault, even with its built in FM transmitter. Just "tune" the amp and speakers to match.

« Last Edit: 15 August 2009, 18:36:43 by goonybird »
Have owned: Opel Manta A 1900 Auto Berlinetta, Opel Manta B 2.0 Auto Berlinetta, Vx Royale Coupe 2.8 Auto, various non Vx, Skoda Superb 130tdi currently Omega 2.5CDX - now Octavia vRS WRC

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2009, 19:40:46 »

Does the Highway have a phono output or are you restricted to using the FM modulator?

I spent yesterday salvaging the Blaupunkt DAB53 from my 1994 Omega & reinstalling the VDO system I fitted when I first bought the car.  I traded in the 1994 for a 2003 facelift Omega with a Bose system today. After a traumatic day yesterday I am not in a hurry to re install the Blaupunkt & the Highway looks like a cheap way of getting DAB to tide me over.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Goonybird

• Northampton
  • Shouldn't have gone to Specsavers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2009, 20:43:11 »

Does the Highway have a phono output or are you restricted to using the FM modulator?

I spent yesterday salvaging the Blaupunkt DAB53 from my 1994 Omega & reinstalling the VDO system I fitted when I first bought the car.  I traded in the 1994 for a 2003 facelift Omega with a Bose system today. After a traumatic day yesterday I am not in a hurry to re install the Blaupunkt & the Highway looks like a cheap way of getting DAB to tide me over.

Highway has 3.5mm stereo jack. But if used with earphones - it uses the earphone lead as an aerial - I am fairly sure this disables the external aerial input.  >:(  (I wanted to use a separate FM modulator).
I will check tomorrow.
Have owned: Opel Manta A 1900 Auto Berlinetta, Opel Manta B 2.0 Auto Berlinetta, Vx Royale Coupe 2.8 Auto, various non Vx, Skoda Superb 130tdi currently Omega 2.5CDX - now Octavia vRS WRC

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 August 2009, 21:08:02 »

Highway has 3.5mm stereo jack. But if used with earphones - it uses the earphone lead as an aerial - I am fairly sure this disables the external aerial input.  >:(  (I wanted to use a separate FM modulator).
I will check tomorrow.
I wonder if it is a logic switch or a simple auxilary contact on the earphone socket?

I want to give the Bose system a chance to win me over before I condemn it but....
What genius decided to install a double DIN unit with a 4 cd cassette in the lower half? The cassette won't come out with the gear shifter in Park, you cant get the shifter out of Park without the ignition on. ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2009, 22:50:59 »

this is the correct way to recieve DAB in the car
use an external antenna 
I never have any reception issues  like i did with FM
Fm has more depth and does not have the compressed sound that DAB has, that said there is no planet rock on Fm

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 18 August 2009, 20:58:11 »

I have come across a few compression method and to be honest MP3 does not impress - I feel that ATRAC is better for a similar bit rate.

Anyway sound qualities.

Best I have heard is DVD-Audio, followed by SACD, then some DVD PCM tracks, then a really good CD or LP.

For quality the surround sound systems are so variable anway here goes the next set.

BD Dolby Digital (pretty high bit rate)
HiFi audio on some VCRs (but not surround)
DTS
DD 5.1
NICAM
Bottom of CD and LP sound
Minidisk
top DTTV & DSTV sound
Good Cassette
normal DTTV & DSTV sound
normal MP3
poor DTTV & DSTV sound
Poor cassette

Martin_1962

« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2009, 20:59:09 »

Put FM near good cassette :-[

VCR HiFi - ie decent decks like my 1989 Sony

waspy

« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2009, 21:14:04 »

use an external antenna 
Fm has more depth and does not have the compressed sound that DAB has, that said there is no planet rock on Fm

Can i ask what make of aerial that is?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #25 on: 18 August 2009, 22:52:26 »

I have come across a few compression method and to be honest MP3 does not impress - I feel that ATRAC is better for a similar bit rate.

Anyway sound qualities.

Best I have heard is DVD-Audio, followed by SACD, then some DVD PCM tracks, then a really good CD or LP.

For quality the surround sound systems are so variable anway here goes the next set.

DTS
DD 5.1
NICAM
Minidisk
top DTTV & DSTV sound
Good Cassette
normal DTTV & DSTV sound
normal MP3
poor DTTV & DSTV sound
Poor cassette

I think I would have reversed the Minidisc and MP3, but totally agree with your top 5

Oh, and you missed out Sony Minidisc LP with predictive compression which must go firmly at the bottom

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 August 2009, 23:00:39 »

Oh, and you missed out Sony Minidisc LP with predictive compression which must go firmly at the bottom

;)

DAB, strangely! ::)

;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #27 on: 18 August 2009, 23:18:12 »

Actually I have a Minidisc Walkman and the quality is pretty good, I prefer the normal compression to the compression Sonic Stage uses but it sounds better than these little mp3 players.

HOWEVER Sennheiser PX100s are in use.

My MD car head unit sounds better than my CD changer with mp3 - I think I used 192 or 256 when I compressed them. The CD-DA does sound better than MD. Most of my CDs are simply copies of my own audio CDs.

DAB - haven't heard it in ages but poor quality must be a battle between MW and Amstrad CD HiFI I once heard in the entrance to a Laskys.

I am not bothering with ultimate poor spund such as dictaphones or the linear VCR sound. Beta was of course at both ends with the slowest tape speed and the fastest helical scan speed. The HiFi VCRs were probably the best analogue audio recorders for home use so far.

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 August 2009, 23:25:23 »

use an external antenna 

Can i ask what make of aerial that is?

its a JVC hal3  dab only antenna
works very well and gets all the stations i get at home  on my dab tuner and folded dipole

Doug
me at kick boxing

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 August 2009, 23:26:23 »

Anyway sound qualities.

DTS
DD 5.1
NICAM
Minidisk
top DTTV & DSTV sound
Good Cassette
normal DTTV & DSTV sound
normal MP3
poor DTTV & DSTV sound
Poor cassette

I think I would have reversed the Minidisc and MP3, but totally agree with your top 5

;)

I notice no hdcd in there
im guessing i was the only one to buy a machine  :y

doug
me at kick boxing
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.