Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kills a Miggy?  (Read 1500 times)

Bertrumage

• Surrey
    • Omega 2.2CDX Auto
    • View Profile
What kills a Miggy?
« on: 16 April 2019, 14:50:16 »

I have been driving my miggy for almost 2 months covered about 1800 miles, its a 2001 2.2 petrol auto and I love it, I want to keep it! Shes done 150k miles, gearbox still works good etc, few minor issues with interior switches & phantom sunroof but nothing  major.

I would like to be that idiot who spends a ton of money keeping an old rust bucket going, except I dont see much rust on this one.

I plan on getting the autobox a good service, new fluid & a good clean. And I'd imagine its due new belts too, the exhaust is blowing and has had many previous repairs, I would like to replace the whole system with stainless. I dont have any service history but previous mot's suggest a solid car, its first failed mot was at 125k when the car had alot of work done, including what looks to be a whole new cooling system (pipes, botttles, rad, hopefully w/pump too).

So before I go splashing cash, Id like to know the most common culprits that see these cars to the scrap yard, so I can investigate and decide wherever the car is solid enough to be worth it.

As far as rust goes, I havent had the car on a ramp for a proper look but from what the eye can see, not an aweful lot of rust, unless its covered in hammerite lol, the wheel arches have the very begginings of bubble rust, and the door cills are rust free.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: What kills a Miggy?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2019, 14:54:40 »

Bring it along to Brackley on May 6th :y

We can soon give you an honest appraisal  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2019, 14:58:52 »

Areas to watch for rust are the sills, front chassis members where the front suspension components bolt on, shock absorber turrets and rear wheel arches on the saloon and the tailgate around the rear wiper on estates.

Take the sill covers off and clean any muck out, then patch any areas showing rust spots and give it a coat of waxoyl / stonechip paint.  Take out the boot trim and see if you can feed some hot waxoyl into the wheel arch seams from above and give the front chassis members a good dousing in waxoyl. Keep an eye out for any areas where the underseal has failed and treat these after dealing with any surface rust.

Mechanical bits are pretty bomb proof as long as you change the oil regularly and keep breathers clear.

A change of auto box fluid will be money well spent at that mileage and also bear in mind that the cam belt interval is 40K miles or 4 years and that requires a coolant pump change on the 2.2 as well, as this forms one of the timing belt idlers.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2019, 15:37:07 »

All mechanical aspects of the Omega are all doable DIY, even an engine change is worthwhile providing the bodywork is in good condition.

But therein lies the problem - until you have delved deep inside and under the car to find out how much it has been affected by corrosion, I'd be very cautious spending serious money on it. A bit of a crusty wheel arch is just the tip of the iceberg, as they all rot away from inside to the outside. As mentioned, front chassis rails where the subframe bolts on, as well as the very front areas hidden behind the bumper are prone to rot. Sills need a proper inspection, so pop the covers off, and particularly the plastic covers on the ends of the sills in the rear wheel arches. Rot will easily creep a considerable distance under the factory applied underseal, so never assume anything until you've had a good prod about.

Body rot - that's what will kill 'em.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2019, 16:36:44 »

A couple of hours at Brackley would see experienced eyes give an honest appraisal of body condition. If you're serious about keeping it, then it would be time well spent  :y

Bertrumage

• Surrey
    • Omega 2.2CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2019, 16:57:25 »

A couple of hours at Brackley would see experienced eyes give an honest appraisal of body condition. If you're serious about keeping it, then it would be time well spent  :y

Any more info on Brackley? Where is the meet held etc? Id love to tag along

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2019, 17:00:19 »

Any more info on Brackley? Where is the meet held etc? Id love to tag along
Here do...

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=144460.0 :y

Bertrumage

• Surrey
    • Omega 2.2CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2019, 22:48:51 »

Thanks for all the info guys il start having a look into the front chassis & suspension I hope its decently sound and I should be able to make the Brackley meet also!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2019, 01:09:47 »

:y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.