Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How's this for good, old fashioned service  (Read 4250 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: How's this for good, old fashioned service
« Reply #30 on: 29 April 2019, 12:24:12 »

much less in something that might hit Vmax ;D
I've had some quite quick cars not willing to give much/any more down that bit  ::)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 April 2019, 12:34:05 »

Some cars are barely warmed up at 140*... And all of them design for continent crossing... 24v Granada, 3.2 Omega, larger engined S Class to name but 3 8)

*kph obviously  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 29 April 2019, 12:45:54 »

Some cars are barely warmed up at 140*... And all of them design for continent crossing... 24v Granada, 3.2 Omega, larger engined S Class to name but 3 8)

*kph obviously  ;D

I always thought it was a bit odd that the BMW is geared quite short - OK, the red-line is at 6500rpm, but 'cruising' is ~3000rpm in 6th, and that's a UK motorway speeds! Maybe the auto box got a taller final drive (and most of them are autos) for the Autobahn

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 April 2019, 12:49:44 »

I don't recall paying the rpm much attention in the Granada or Omega, but at a 145 cruise the Granada felt more stable... Both 16" tyres but lower profile on the Granada.

Certainly on a manual 3.2, 3k was about 85, so be running out of puff much over 145 :)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 April 2019, 12:53:00 »

*kph obviously  ;D

I always thought it was a bit odd that the BMW is geared quite short - OK, the red-line is at 6500rpm, but 'cruising' is ~3000rpm in 6th, and that's a UK motorway speeds! Maybe the auto box got a taller final drive (and most of them are autos) for the Autobahn
But any (unmolested) beemer only has to hit 155, where the limiter is.  Hence managing to piss off an M3 owner once.  He caught me back up shortly after the slight rise after Chickenshit.

KPH, naturally.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 April 2019, 12:55:10 »

I don't recall paying the rpm much attention in the Granada or Omega, but at a 145 cruise the Granada felt more stable... Both 16" tyres but lower profile on the Granada.

Certainly on a manual 3.2, 3k was about 85, so be running out of puff much over 145 :)
The 3l - and the 3.2 is slower - struggles really to maintain those sorts of speeds with even the slightest headwind or incline.

Apparently.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 29 April 2019, 15:00:35 »

If you're feeling really brave, do it on £25 second hand tyres.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 April 2019, 15:50:19 »

I was once in the company of a lunatic who had a Hayabusa absolutely flat out, with the middle of the rear tyre down to the canvas. 
It was scary to just be in the vicinity, as a monumental crash seemed close to inevitable, but being a mentalist, he thought it was quite amusing.  :o
Surprisingly, he is still alive.  ???
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 April 2019, 03:32:26 »

If you're feeling really brave, do it on £25 second hand tyres.  ;D

More likely to be the average motorist who relies on the garage giving their Euro Box its annual service to check them & when they suffer a blowout on a motorway to blame the tyre company for the faulty tyre, where the shredded overheated sidewall from an under inflated tyre is obviously their fault. ::) ::) ::)

I know a 'character' this happened to, where he had gone back home to his STEMO city & was most put out by the short shift he got from the tyre company. He was a great graphic artist, but I wouldn't have asked him to look after my wallet & he helped me video my first wedding, where video cameras weren't allowed into the registry office, so insulation tape was stuck over the recording LED to not 'dazzle' the guests as the camera was 'rested' on a window sill 'accidently' pointing towards the registrar, like he used to all the time as a STEMO city wedding video income supplement. ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 30 April 2019, 03:36:24 by Rods2 »
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.