Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega LSD  (Read 6693 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega LSD
« Reply #15 on: 19 December 2019, 14:40:44 »

Speak of the devil...…..
Lol.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2019, 14:41:37 »

Just to throw doubt into proceedings, just have a google and research what shape a 20+ year old LSD is likely to be in, even on low miles, versus what you are intending to gain from the fitting of such. I seem to recall reading a rather in depth look at, amongst others, an Omega LSD from a top OEM (Prodrive, someone like that), and they tested it to discover it had lost 50% of its effectiveness after 80k.

I'm sure my figures are well off, but it was something like the above.

I'm biased in as much as I've never ran a car with one, but is it 'pub bragging rights', or are you building  a track day car, or something else?
In my experience, most of the LSD's from Ex Plod Cars were good, assuming you could get the Car relatively quickly from the Force and hasn't been round the Block a few times with 2nd Hand Owners.

Or sadly where some Muppet from Vauxhalls or A N Other Garage topped up the LSD's with Standard Diff Oil and killed them off.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2019, 14:43:05 »

Speak of the devil...…..
Lol.
Ive still got my eye on you, so behave.  ;D

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2019, 15:30:01 »

Zirk used to have a couple, but I haven't noticed him online for quite a while.
Edit. He was online 30th November. Not as long as I thought. Might be worth dropping him a PM.
Thanks, how do I find Zirk?
Ive only got 2 LSD's left and there both still attached to 3.2 Manual Specials and I'd like to keep them that way.

I did have a couple of good 3.9 (Auto) LSD ones but sadly they belong to the DVLA now as I forgot I left them in a Boot of a Car  >:(

I would say the chances of finding any now are zero, most of the Ex Plod ones where for Manual Boxes (3.7 Ratio) so the chances of finding any 3.9 Ratios for your Auto is probably a non starter.

You could fit a 3.7 Ratio LSD but it wont feel or run right with an Auto box especially when it come the the Final Lock Up on the Box at Mid Speeds and Hills on a Cruise, like wise you can fit a 3.9 to a Manual, get a bit more grunt on Acceleration with the higher Ratio, but it will drive you Mad on a Motorways with a V6 Revving at 3K at 70mph.
Thanks for that. The ratio thing was going to be my next question, I certainly would want to go to a longer ratio, and the 3.9 explains the excellent low speed pick up of my auto which puts my VW DSG box to shame.
So it looks as though I am looking for a 3.9 open diff to experiment with.  I do have a bearing like rumble from the back end of mine at certain speeds.   
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2019, 17:47:04 »

There was a company, that rebuilds them for £300, can't remember who they were,,  I use to use Amsoil diff oil in mine,had the correct friction modifer already in, :)
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 December 2019, 18:34:22 »

Yea Im on Leave of Absence at the moment due to being the Sadest Dick on the Forum for the last couple of Years.  :(
At least you aint got over 100,000 posts  :-[. Good job I culled myself ;D
Grumpy old man

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 December 2019, 23:54:24 »

Zeke has an LSD. I gave it an oil change a couple of years ago (thanks to the frigging excellent guide on here). It certainly works, well enough for me. On 180k miles so not bad.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 December 2019, 10:35:26 »

I have one from my 2.6L that had it as an option, was a common ad on here in the north of Sweden to handle slippery roads in winter.
It is however in need of rebuild since the LSD is damaged, worn discs. Being from a 2.6L Auto it has 4.22:1 in gears.

I wasn't successful in finding any replacement looking for a LSD on the web sites for scrapyards in Sweden or Germany. Ended up with a Non-LSD as a replacement.
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

jb

• bucks
    • 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 December 2019, 12:52:35 »

I have had many ex police senators and omegas 3.0 /3.2 manual and auto with LSD. On acquisition from the BCA or WOMA auctions they always performed 100% and were actually a nice tight diff that locked up good and early. I usually changed the diff oil and refilled with gm diff oil and tube of gm friction modifier at 100k and in every case the were performing really well many miles later.
Best way to acquire one now is to buy an mot failed ex police omega for pennies and strip it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 December 2019, 14:32:26 »

I have had many ex police senators and omegas 3.0 /3.2 manual and auto with LSD. On acquisition from the BCA or WOMA auctions they always performed 100% and were actually a nice tight diff that locked up good and early. I usually changed the diff oil and refilled with gm diff oil and tube of gm friction modifier at 100k and in every case the were performing really well many miles later.
Best way to acquire one now is to buy an mot failed ex police omega for pennies and strip it.
Good luck with that...
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2019, 00:12:41 »

I agree with everything youve just said there.  :y

Apart from the last sentence.  :-X

There was a time when you couldnt give away Ex Plod Omega,s, now there like Rocking Horse Poo.  ;)

Edit: and there worth a fair bit now considering the fitments.

Just thought I,d through that last bit in case I decide to sell any of mine.  ;D
« Last Edit: 22 December 2019, 00:26:59 by zirk »

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2019, 01:33:49 »

211,000 on mine and it is performing as it should but Does squeak  a bit occasionally  :y
Laying a rubber road.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 December 2019, 11:14:44 »

At risk of it being a numb question, how can you tell if an Omega has a LSD fitted?
I only ask because I have an ex police 3.2 saloon auto for breaking, although it wasn't a traffic patrol vehicle, but a Chief Staff Officers car, so it is an Elite rather than a Special, so it wasnt spec'd for razzing around....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 December 2019, 13:28:12 »

At risk of it being a numb question, how can you tell if an Omega has a LSD fitted?
I only ask because I have an ex police 3.2 saloon auto for breaking, although it wasn't a traffic patrol vehicle, but a Chief Staff Officers car, so it is an Elite rather than a Special, so it wasnt spec'd for razzing around....

For breaking? Too far gone?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 December 2019, 13:51:52 »

Jack up the rear end and turn one wheel. The other should rotate the same way or not at all. If it turns the opposite way then the diff is open/non lsd :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.