Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega LSD  (Read 6638 times)

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
Omega LSD
« on: 18 December 2019, 10:53:20 »

Does anyone know which or if any Omegas had LSDs fitted as standard, and what options are there for diff ratios? I assume diesels are different and manuals/autos or 4 cyl/V6.
I assume that police spec manual 3.2 would have an LSD, I was told they spec it so they can pull away from grassy verges...I'm sure it's more to do with showing off their advanced driving skills.
I'd like to fit one to my 3.2 (Auto) MV6, which doesn't seem to be so equipped :-[. If anyone has one, or a suitable donor rear end that could be rebuilt and a LSD fitted, please let me know.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega LSD
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2019, 11:12:59 »

STD fit to police, HM revenue etc,  was an option on retail cars, sold my last one for £250.  Unicorn poo is easier to source,,,  there is a rumour that another hoof'er has a couple. :o
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2019, 13:09:24 »

Zirk used to have a couple, but I haven't noticed him online for quite a while.
Edit. He was online 30th November. Not as long as I thought. Might be worth dropping him a PM.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2019, 13:11:30 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2019, 15:50:00 »

Edit. He was online 30th November. Not as long as I thought. Might be worth dropping him a PM.
Thanks, how do I find Zirk?
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2019, 16:25:37 »

As its Christmas, I'll give you a clue. ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2019, 20:30:24 »

Search for him in the list of members and then send a pm.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2019, 23:29:35 »

Just to throw doubt into proceedings, just have a google and research what shape a 20+ year old LSD is likely to be in, even on low miles, versus what you are intending to gain from the fitting of such. I seem to recall reading a rather in depth look at, amongst others, an Omega LSD from a top OEM (Prodrive, someone like that), and they tested it to discover it had lost 50% of its effectiveness after 80k.

I'm sure my figures are well off, but it was something like the above.

I'm biased in as much as I've never ran a car with one, but is it 'pub bragging rights', or are you building  a track day car, or something else?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2019, 09:50:29 »

Thanks for the feedback. I realise that any diff is likely to need to be rebuilt, and that there are any number of varying types of 'diff, with different characteristics. I expect that an LSD like a Quaife or Gripper could be fitted to a normal casing, but I have reasoned that it might be easier if the casing to be rebuilt already had an LSD in it, or better still if I could find one in good enough condition that wouldn't need rebuilding.  My long term goal with the MV6 is to improve the road dynamics (and fun) without spending too much.  Maybe very long term it could end up as a track day/driver training tool if the rust can be kept at bay.  It fits in with my sideline of spares, service & restoration of Lotus Carlton's, as the MV6 seems like a decaff version of the LC, that can be enjoyed without the risk/responsibility/guilt of thrashing an icon. 
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2019, 09:56:43 »

Just to throw doubt into proceedings, just have a google and research what shape a 20+ year old LSD is likely to be in, even on low miles, versus what you are intending to gain from the fitting of such. I seem to recall reading a rather in depth look at, amongst others, an Omega LSD from a top OEM (Prodrive, someone like that), and they tested it to discover it had lost 50% of its effectiveness after 80k.

I'm sure my figures are well off, but it was something like the above.

I'm biased in as much as I've never ran a car with one, but is it 'pub bragging rights', or are you building  a track day car, or something else?

bear in mind that factory LSDs for roadcars don't lockup very much(20% for a Capri LSD for example), and tend to be inadequate for enthusiastic track use. They also wear very quickly compared to an open diff, so an expensive rebuild is usually required for an already expensive acquisition. A soft, heavy Omega with only 200bhp won't see much benefit from an LSD, which is probably why they were always rare.

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2019, 10:30:43 »

There is a guy on Facebook... on the Omega Owners Group page,does fully reconditioned Omega LSD's, I can't recall how much he charges,but it would be plus shipping from N.I :-\ I was considering replacing both of mine,but after a fluid change, they now seem to be working as they should, and so didn't follow it up. He is still advertising from time to time,might be worth getting in touch.

456lbft

• Northants
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2019, 11:30:10 »

There is a guy on Facebook... on the Omega Owners Group page,does fully reconditioned Omega LSD's, I can't recall how much he charges,but it would be plus shipping from N.I :-\ I was considering replacing both of mine,but after a fluid change, they now seem to be working as they should, and so didn't follow it up. He is still advertising from time to time,might be worth getting in touch.
Are yours LSD equipped? I understand that the amount of lock up can be dramatically affected by the type and condition of diff oil used. They rely on a friction modifier either in or added to the oil.
I'm just getting frustrated by the inner wheel spinning up when the TC is switched off, or the TC cutting in unnecessarily early in slippy conditions so I have assumed that mine has an open diff.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2019, 12:08:23 »

I'm just getting frustrated by the inner wheel spinning up when the TC is switched off, or the TC cutting in unnecessarily early in slippy conditions
They all do that Sir  ;)

so I have assumed that mine has an open diff.
The vast majority are  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2019, 12:29:20 »

Does anyone know which or if any Omegas had LSDs fitted as standard
None, and neither was it available as an option in the retail channel.

It was available in vehicles from the Special Vehicles unit, for a cost.  So many of the plod cars have them for example.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2019, 14:26:15 »

Ive only got 2 LSD's left and there both still attached to 3.2 Manual Specials and I'd like to keep them that way.

I did have a couple of good 3.9 (Auto) LSD ones but sadly they belong to the DVLA now as I forgot I left them in a Boot of a Car  >:(

I would say the chances of finding any now are zero, most of the Ex Plod ones where for Manual Boxes (3.7 Ratio) so the chances of finding any 3.9 Ratios for your Auto is probably a non starter.

You could fit a 3.7 Ratio LSD but it wont feel or run right with an Auto box especially when it come the the Final Lock Up on the Box at Mid Speeds and Hills on a Cruise, like wise you can fit a 3.9 to a Manual, get a bit more grunt on Acceleration with the higher Ratio, but it will drive you Mad on a Motorways with a V6 Revving at 3K at 70mph.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2019, 14:33:19 »

Yea Im on Leave of Absence at the moment due to being the Sadest Dick on the Forum for the last couple of Years.  :(

Just checked and Sir Tigger QC is currently catching Me up in second place with 200 Days, happy days.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.