Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to remove auto gear shifter surround and light selector knob?  (Read 1875 times)

rds

• View Profile

Hello all

in a fit of interior valeting, I rubbed away part of the rubbery coating on the black gearshifter surround and the headlight rotary knob (Omega B, auto). Every time I look at them they irritate me and remind me of the evils of haste...

Can anyone shed light on how to remove the two items without damaging anything else, (preferably I dont need to take whole units off) and maybe even point me to a supplier of new replacements? Used are likely to be as worn, I suspect.

Cheers in advance!

RDS

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove auto gear shifter surround and light selector knob?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2017, 01:19:25 »

Both covered in the maintenance guides... first item in the sticky list is the index...
Onanists always think outside the box.

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2017, 12:18:29 »

Hello and thanks for that; I did a search (using my phone) to no avail. Perhaps the android interface with the site is not seamless!

I'll have a look via desktop computer.

cheers

RDS

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2017, 12:42:05 »

Right had another look - all I can see re the gearshift surround is hidden within a guide to the whole console being dismantled/moved back

"Step 7

Gently prise the gearshift gaiter out and then prise up the plastic surround that contains the gear indicator lights. You will not have to disconnect the wires as the console trim will eventually lift over all of this."

What I was hoping to find out re this item,  was: can the gearshift surround alone be removed without dismantling the preceding items, which seem to be done in the guide to allow the console to be moved back for another job?

In relation to the light selector knob; no items immediately jumps out from the index. I want to avoid removing the whole switch unit. I just want to remove the knob: is it held onto the shaft by means of a barb, or grub screw, or does it have to be in a certain position or what?

Thanks for your patience!

RDS

peter the butcher

• knaresborough, north yorkshire
  • omega driver as a hobby and now retired :-(
    • 2.6CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2017, 12:49:51 »

I was cleaning my car interior as well, and inadvertently rubbed to hard on the heater control buttons, now the "off" button is unreadable, I notice it every time I get in the car, can it be replaced or just make do with a home repair?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2017, 16:00:08 »

Step 7 answers your question, ignore the rest...

Basically push the surround forward and pry the back edge up with fingers... Leave gaiter alone... Switch can then simply be pushed up and our from underneath ;)

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2017, 18:02:44 »

Ok cheers for that - will now seek a new/unmarked surround from somewhere.

Re the headlight switch knob (only) removal, I can't see how "push up and out from underneath" that will free just the knob, unless you are saying effectively "lever it off the shaft"?

cheers

RDS

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2017, 12:47:40 »

Dont think the headlight knob kan be removed by itself. The whole switch unit comes out easy enough if you insert an old credit card on each side to release the tabs. Just pull the whole thing out.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2017, 13:12:23 »

.... The whole switch unit comes out easy enough if you insert an old credit card on each side to release the tabs. Just pull the whole thing out.

I always found it easy to remove the D shaped panel from the end of the dash & push the switch out from behind

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2017, 13:50:59 »

.... The whole switch unit comes out easy enough if you insert an old credit card on each side to release the tabs. Just pull the whole thing out.

I always found it easy to remove the D shaped panel from the end of the dash & push the switch out from behind
That doesn't guarantee removal, still need two cards/blades either side otherwise you can snap the clips off as you push it out...

This doesn't sound like a deal breaker, but the spring clips hold a pair of sprung ball bearings in place... on provides the 'click' as you turn the knob, tother as you pull it. Both of which will cause an MoT failure... got that T shirt.

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2017, 15:00:01 »

Sorry guys are we talking about the same thing here?

I just want to take the headlight/sidelight/interior light knob off the switch assembly and replace the knob; not the whole light switch unit assembly. On other cars a similar knob is held onto the shaft by a grub screw, or a sprung ball, or interference fit with a D section shaft or plastic barbs off the shaft, etc etc.

Is that possible, and what is the procedure please? Monza thinks not.

cheers

RDS

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2017, 16:34:16 »

Sorry guys are we talking about the same thing here?

I just want to take the headlight/sidelight/interior light knob off the switch assembly and replace the knob; not the whole light switch unit assembly. On other cars a similar knob is held onto the shaft by a grub screw, or a sprung ball, or interference fit with a D section shaft or plastic barbs off the shaft, etc etc.

Is that possible, and what is the procedure please? Monza thinks not.

cheers

RDS

Can't remember if the actual knob comes off .... but you'll be able to see once the whole thing comes out.

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2017, 17:01:27 »

Many thanks - but trying to save work  (and the possibility of a snapped plastic tang - as happened yesterday whilst disassembling a Lucas rocker switch in the cold!!), so if there is chapter and verse on this knob removal, it will help this knob (ie me) here!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.