Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lane hogs  (Read 2705 times)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
Lane hogs
« on: 22 August 2016, 01:02:04 »

I was travelling east on my bike on the M27 this afternoon in very heavy slow moving traffic
I finally filtered my thru to the head of the conjested bit.
Only to find a Landy towing a trailor in lane 3 & a four deep convoy of caravans in lane 2.
Lane 1 was bogged down by a Micra not darin to exceed 45 MPH  ::)
The m/way ahead of this rollin road block was fairly clear :y

ted_one

Re: Lane hogs
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2016, 08:34:52 »

Happens all the time,wherever you go  in this country,the standard of driving has gone way down,it's now all about how you can pi** off other road users 100 metres ahead of you and 100 metres behind you.I honestly don't see the point of driving in the vague hope of getting a bit of 'pleasure' out of it,as all you are doing is defending yourself against the inevitable arrival of some selfish retarded headcase who is going to try and spoil your day,and let's face it there's certainly plenty of them out there >:(

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2016, 09:45:07 »

Happens all the time,wherever you go  in this country,the standard of driving has gone way down,it's now all about how you can pi** off other road users 100 metres ahead of you and 100 metres behind you.I honestly don't see the point of driving in the vague hope of getting a bit of 'pleasure' out of it,as all you are doing is defending yourself against the inevitable arrival of some selfish retarded headcase who is going to try and spoil your day,and let's face it there's certainly plenty of them out there >:(

Well Ken that's your week off to a good cheerful, happy, positive thinking start     ;D     ;D

I drive quite a bit in France and this does not happen anything like as much as it does here. The British driver has a "why should I" attitude.

Why should I slow down to the speed of the lane that I'm in ?
Why should I move over ?
Why should I let the driver behind pass ?

So in a nutshell it's bloodymindedness

We all love to knock the French, but they have much better lane discipline. They will move over to let others pass, they only move into an outer lane to overtake etc. Mind you, their roads are not as crammed as ours, and the privately run toll roads end up being quite expensive on long runs. But overall they are just not as uptight as the Brits, except for the ones that drive at 80mph two metres from your exhaust pipe !

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2016, 10:54:06 »

French motorway driving tends to be better than here for the simple reason that they refuse to be bullied into the if all the traffic goes faster than 75.5739292746(approx)mph the world's rotation will reverse and the entire population will slowly die in screaming agony bullshit that we have foisted on us. The French along with most other Europeans expect(demand really) to make good progress on motorways, and that means efficiently getting out of the way of anyone travelling faster.

The flipside of this is that their standard of driving on rural roads is atrocious; where the rule seems to be do whatever the opps you want, even if that isn't physically possible within the available space/peformance envelope of your vehicle.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2016, 11:45:18 »

French motorway driving tends to be better than here for the simple reason that they refuse to be bullied into the if all the traffic goes faster than 75.5739292746(approx)mph the world's rotation will reverse and the entire population will slowly die in screaming agony bullshit that we have foisted on us. The French along with most other Europeans expect(demand really) to make good progress on motorways, and that means efficiently getting out of the way of anyone travelling faster.

The flipside of this is that their standard of driving on rural roads is atrocious; where the rule seems to be do whatever the opps you want, even if that isn't physically possible within the available space/peformance envelope of your vehicle.

Agreed. But . . . . that also sounds like the driving in West Wales  ;D  We have the second highest road death rate in the country I think I read somewhere. Doesn't surprise me, the driving on the country roads round here is insane. They overtake in places where I wouldn't even consider it.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

ted_one

« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2016, 12:52:51 »

The only positive thinking I have about driving is that,10% of the driving population have a total disregard for their own and others safety,and as far as I'm concerned they can go kill themselves and make it as messy as they wish,on the proviso that they don't involve any one else and they don't hold me up....tossers! :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2016, 13:35:32 »

The French do tend to sit on the bumper of the car in front  ??? ..... I don't think they do it to intimidate though  :y

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2016, 13:58:11 »

The French do tend to sit on the bumper of the car in front  ??? ..... I don't think they do it to intimidate though  :y

Unlike the Brits . . . . .

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2016, 14:02:07 »

The main reason motorway driving is a joy in France compared to GB is that as a much bigger country with a similar population to ours the roads just arn't as congested.  Especially on the toll motorways as most French haulage companies won't pay the tolls so much of the HGV traffic is on the A roads (N Roads?)....

I've driven extensively across France and I don't believe French drivers are any more considerate or better than their British counterparts to be honest.  :)
« Last Edit: 22 August 2016, 14:04:25 by Sir Tigger »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2016, 19:00:37 »

Unlike the Brits . . . . .

Indeed

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2016, 19:19:44 »

I agree the standard of driving here is shocking. A real 'opps you' attitude to other road users.

Driving abroad is so much more relaxing, even if the local roads, particularly in France, are full of pissed drivers...
Grumpy old man

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2016, 19:38:35 »

You think this is bad, try piloting a bus, we call it 'beat the bus' whether it's car driving idiots or idiots on foot or cycle mounted ones that don't give a shit the lights gone green they're crossing the road in front of a taxi (who was in the bus lane >:() and a circa 15 tonne bus!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2016, 20:11:58 »

You think this is bad, try piloting a bus, we call it 'beat the bus' whether it's car driving idiots or idiots on foot or cycle mounted ones that don't give a shit the lights gone green they're crossing the road in front of a taxi (who was in the bus lane >:() and a circa 15 tonne bus!
Think you'll find that most bus lanes allow taxi use... Of course most professional drivers don't apply roadsigns to their employment... :P
Onanists always think outside the box.

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 August 2016, 20:28:46 »

Think you'll find that most bus lanes allow taxi use... Of course most professional drivers don't apply roadsigns to their employment... :P

Oi don't tarnish my ability to announce "I'm a professional driver don't you know"

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2016, 20:36:34 »

There's a sign for that :D
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.