Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car security musings...  (Read 3491 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Car security musings...
« on: 24 August 2016, 14:20:20 »

Just make a joke that I was chatting to a little 'smackrat' (as my mate calls them) on another thread. I made the joke that if I'd mentioned that my car was parked just round the corner, he's have been both astonished that it was older than him, and them promptly nicked it once my back was turned.

Back in the day the Omega security system was up there with the best, but by now must be easily bypassed by any reasonably competent car thief. I believe I'm right in saying the immobiliser acts on the fuel pump, so... how about for instance pulling the fuse (18) if you wanted to completely immobilise the car, and then I thought well how about seeing if there's such a thing as a circuit breaker that's a straight swap for the fuse. There is, they're readily available. What other 'lifehack' immobilisers are there/does anyone use. How far could we push this, being clever?

Obviously feel free to be a little cryptic if there's some clever unique hidden switch on your car, that you'd rather not publish on a public forum!  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Car security musings...
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2016, 15:09:21 »

Just make a joke that I was chatting to a little 'smackrat' (as my mate calls them) on another thread. I made the joke that if I'd mentioned that my car was parked just round the corner, he's have been both astonished that it was older than him, and them promptly nicked it once my back was turned.

Back in the day the Omega security system was up there with the best, but by now must be easily bypassed by any reasonably competent car thief. I believe I'm right in saying the immobiliser acts on the fuel pump, so... how about for instance pulling the fuse (18) if you wanted to completely immobilise the car, and then I thought well how about seeing if there's such a thing as a circuit breaker that's a straight swap for the fuse. There is, they're readily available. What other 'lifehack' immobilisers are there/does anyone use. How far could we push this, being clever?

Obviously feel free to be a little cryptic if there's some clever unique hidden switch on your car, that you'd rather not publish on a public forum!  :y
No, although the early ones (94 and 95) were easily bypassed.  Later are more advanced, with a coded signal from immobiliser ECU to engine ECU.

*BUT* its easy enough to reprogram ECU to ignore said signal - which is how a lot of high end cars get driven away.

Also, GM, like most other manufacturers us a rolling code on the remote fob for the locking/alarm, that has been comprehensively cracked for ages.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2016, 15:13:44 »

As I understood it, the German rolling code was cracked by the British as of 1940 thanks to Alan Turing's team  ;D

So what kind of subtle/simple hack could be included? As you say the 'high-tec' rolling code etc is very much well broken by now. But something as simple as I propose could make it effectively impossible, unless you intimately know that fuse needed replacing/resetting etc..  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2016, 15:24:20 »

Pulling fuse 18 to immobilise a car? ::)  ;D

Nobody round here would dream of such a thing. :-X Nope. Not any of us.  :-X Dunno if it'd even work. Probably not. :-X
Anyway, the guy trying to drive off would soon spot it.  :-X I'm sure he would. Wouldn't cause any frustration whatsoever. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2016, 15:29:56 »

Sounds like when I add on the end of an ebay listing "if you are thinking of contacting me outside of ebay to purchase this item please remember that is against ebay policy, and doing so would mean I would have to sell this at a reduced price as I would no longer have ebay and paypal fees and commission to cover. Please do not do this, it is against ebay policy. Again, contacting me to buy this cheaper outside of ebay is against ebay policy. Thank you"  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2016, 15:33:06 »

As I understood it, the German rolling code was cracked by the British as of 1940 thanks to Alan Turing's team  ;D

So what kind of subtle/simple hack could be included? As you say the 'high-tec' rolling code etc is very much well broken by now. But something as simple as I propose could make it effectively impossible, unless you intimately know that fuse needed replacing/resetting etc..  :)

The simplest and best advice has always been to park it next to something that thieves actually want. That is easy for us, as even a Dacia Duster has got to be more stealable than any anonomous, 16 year-old, £1000 car.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2016, 15:39:49 »

:y

Also you flatter me with your valuation of my car, by god I wish you worked for my insurance company's valuers!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2016, 15:56:36 »

:y

Also you flatter me with your valuation of my car, by god I wish you worked for my insurance company's valuers!

Who said anything about your antique? ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2016, 16:25:46 »

haha!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2016, 17:03:22 »

I once designed a simple and cheap immobiliser as a project for my student; it involved an SCR and a transistoe, activated by discreetly touching a secret metal point and an earhed part of the car to enable the car to start. These actions could be performed quite naturally and not arouse suspicion.
If anyone is interesred I will try to find the diagram/parts list,

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2016, 18:25:44 »

My Sapphire Cosworth must have got broken into / potentially stolen at least 10+ times over, there determined buggers if they really wont something.

From day one, the car was fitted with a top of the range Clifford / Toad as well as my own first Mod which was to relocate the wiring and fit a hidden switch which fed directly to the Fuel Pump.

As time went on, getting fed up with it being potentially getting nicked the minute my back was turned, bit by bit I did the following Mods to counter each attempted break in, removed Door locks and weld plated the holes, did the same to the boot lock after the first option didn't work, modified a reinforced removable dog guard that fitted to under the sun roof, fitted a 25W UHF Transmitter would Tx the Audio of inside the car which was fed via 2 hidden Ultra Sonic hidden Motion Sensors in front of the front seats, once activated with no occupants ni the car this would bleep a tx carrier every minute (reckon I invented Tracker long before they did)  ;). Remove inside door locks and fitted a dead lock system from a BM, fitted a Delay Timer via independent relay to the starter solenoid (I can wait 10 seconds before I start the Car), Relocated the ECU and rewired to under the drivers seat with a quick removal latch, modified the rear number plate light so they flashed if not in the right mode. >:(

Despite all of the above they still got in a tried to nick the thing the only saving grace it never actually went anywhere was down to the hidden fuel pump switch.  :y

« Last Edit: 24 August 2016, 18:31:38 by zirk »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2016, 19:11:11 »

Nobody round here would dream of such a thing. :-X Nope. Not any of us.  :-X Dunno if it'd even work. Probably not. :-X
Anyway, the guy trying to drive off would soon spot it.  :-X I'm sure he would. Wouldn't cause any frustration whatsoever. ::)

That went over his head without so much as an ounce of recognition.  ;D  Thought the mere mention of said fuse would have triggered a memory in the old noddle box.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 August 2016, 19:55:45 »

I once designed a simple and cheap immobiliser as a project for my student; it involved an SCR and a transistoe, activated by discreetly touching a secret metal point and an earhed part of the car to enable the car to start. These actions could be performed quite naturally and not arouse suspicion.
If anyone is interesred I will try to find the diagram/parts list,

Ron.

I like that.  :y
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2016, 22:24:19 »

That went over his head without so much as an ounce of recognition.  ;D  Thought the mere mention of said fuse would have triggered a memory in the old noddle box.  :y

it's a yellow one isn't it  ::) ::)

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2016, 07:49:01 »

Omega is pretty un-stealable on it own. As rarely anybody wants it  ;D

I don't even lock my car for years now. I just never-ever leave the keys in the car.
But I'm also sure that if I'd leave the keys in the ignition, the closest to actual theft would be that some kid takes it for a joy-ride, and ditches it after running out of fuel.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2016, 08:02:42 »

Packs up fishing rod, picks up tackle box and wanders off, dejected. :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2016, 09:43:19 »

Worried I've started something, now!  :D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2016, 10:12:01 »

A certain admin was worried because he couldn't start something.   ;) ;D

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2016, 10:48:13 »

I have been enlightened  :y

You bunch of sods!!! That's why some of your post counts sometimes go down to zero overnight, don't mess with admins!  ;D  :D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2016, 11:37:39 »

Omega is pretty un-stealable on it own. As rarely anybody wants it  ;D

I don't even lock my car for years now. I just never-ever leave the keys in the car.
But I'm also sure that if I'd leave the keys in the ignition, the closest to actual theft would be that some kid takes it for a joy-ride, and ditches it after running out of fuel.

As this is an open forum.

If anyone want to nick my car I'll be happy to provide details, but you'll have to take the complete set of spare wheels that I have in the garage as well    ;D,  oh and the CCR 2006 units sitting on a shelf . . . . Oh, you'll probably also have to drive a hell of a long way.

Hmmmm on second thoughts, I'll hang on to it
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 August 2016, 13:01:06 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 August 2016, 17:41:29 »

A certain admin was worried because he couldn't start something.   ;) ;D
Nothing to do with the equally hilarious airfreshner incident...

But it matters not as, like his old garage, he's all over it :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 August 2016, 18:05:55 »

It didn't register in your memory because you knew so well he mean F19 ;)
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 August 2016, 18:15:08 »

It didn't register in your memory because you knew so well he mean F19 ;)

Well... You'll never forget will you? ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.