Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: High milers  (Read 4676 times)

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: High milers
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2016, 15:26:45 »

Well at least it still kind of low. I think it was on 92k when I got the car

It nothing like my old bmw, that was a 95' with 57k when I got it in 08'
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2016, 15:37:30 »

The famous one I've spoke on on OOF many a time was a FL V6 with 37k on the clock in the scrapyard. As mint a bodyshell as you'd expect for a car on that mileage. Engine didn't have so much as a layer of dust on it. That was last year, these things happen.  :'(
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2016, 16:25:52 »

The famous one I've spoke on on OOF many a time was a FL V6 with 37k on the clock in the scrapyard. As mint a bodyshell as you'd expect for a car on that mileage. Engine didn't have so much as a layer of dust on it. That was last year, these things happen.  :'(

None of that means anything; it could still need the front suspension rebuild, cambelt replacement, trans fluid change, plus assorted oil and water leaks that most new-to-you Omegas do. You could spend close to £1k in parts  just to see how reliable it might be. That's assuming nothing had actually broken to put it there.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2016, 16:28:58 »

True. It was well-maintained, though. Breather pipes were very clean, TB etc.. ok, ignoring all the mechanicals the shell itself was a timewarp. As you say it's highly likely it was in the scrappy due to a timing belt failure, due to one piece of very poor maintenance. But trust me, it was a very nice Omega. You know, was  :D ;D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2016, 16:42:51 »

My '54 ex plod managed 280K, still going strong as far as I know... Original engine, box and diff... 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 August 2016, 16:54:34 »

Yep, they just go on and on, seemingly indefinitely. The super-high-mileage maladies/things that need doing seem to be

oil changes on the box and diff
crank seal
oil pickup clogged
fried old crank sensor
ABS ECU

these are things that can/should be worked on much earlier of course, but these are the things that tend to occur at the stratospheric end of the mileage spectrum. But as for the engines 'just dying' through being completely worn out, it doesn't seem to be an issue. No wheezy valves, low compression ratio, cracked blocks, warped heads, stuffed manifolds all the things that many engines fail on through the natural wastage of time. In spite of being not brilliant for tuning, and known to be a bit 'boring' they're racking up the miles very very well in the twighlight years when many a contemporary engines are dying around them...

gav mv6

• leicestershire
    • m/f irmscher mv6 lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 August 2016, 17:02:20 »

Yep, they just go on and on, seemingly indefinitely. The super-high-mileage maladies/things that need doing seem to be

oil changes on the box and diff
crank seal
oil pickup clogged
fried old crank sensor
ABS ECU

these are things that can/should be worked on much earlier of course, but these are the things that tend to occur at the stratospheric end of the mileage spectrum. But as for the engines 'just dying' through being completely worn out, it doesn't seem to be an issue. No wheezy valves, low compression ratio, cracked blocks, warped heads, stuffed manifolds all the things that many engines fail on through the natural wastage of time. In spite of being not brilliant for tuning, and known to be a bit 'boring' they're racking up the miles very very well in the twighlight years when many a contemporary engines are dying around them...

im going to replace all the seals and gaskets whenits removed from the car , its also still got the original oil cooler still in the engine too
Dam its hard work getting to 250 posts .......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 August 2016, 17:38:33 »

Mine never had the oil cooler go, diff and box oil was original too... Might have had a box rear seal done, but can't remember  :-[

Serviced every 10K from new... Oil extra jobs were standard Omega items... Wishbones, donuts, shocks, coil packs, cam covers, crank sensor, Hbv, header tank and exhaust... All pretty routine, an as far as Omegas go, all essentially service items 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 August 2016, 18:03:07 »

231k on the MV6, 117k on the Elite.

(And 116k on the Battlebus, meaning all 3 of my cars are over 100k :o)
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 August 2016, 18:05:41 »

Omega is on 172k, other car is on 226k. Its taken 26 years to get there, so below average miles, theoretically.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 August 2016, 18:28:32 »

My 4yo Ford is on 140k.....so just run in really...

Which reminds I must take it for a service....the 'service me' light has been on for about the last 3 to 4 weeks  ::)
I think its gonna need new front disks shortly as I'm starting to get brake judder breaking at 70mph.
Oh and I think one of the components in the engine bay has a bearing going.....there some background noise when its idling that never used to be there...
And I had 4 new tyres fitted last service and I have notice the OSF is wearing quicker than the NSF but its all over even wear, so not sure what would be causing that....it doesn't pull to one side....the only thing I have noticed that when I go into a certain supermarket car park that has a ninety degree concrete down ramp the tyres squeal when im on full right hand lock  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 August 2016, 18:34:21 »

the only thing I have noticed that when I go into a certain supermarket
LOL, just had flashbacks to AA's "A funny thing happened at the supermarket" from several years ago ;D
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 August 2016, 18:44:26 »

the only thing I have noticed that when I go into a certain supermarket
LOL, just had flashbacks to AA's "A funny thing happened at the supermarket" from several years ago ;D

Oh yeah .... I remember that too  ;D ;D
And then I remember when I had the same problem the vx dealer lied to me and told they had changed the cam sensor, when clearly they hadn't  >:( >:( as you diagnosed the problem  :y
I never did go back and ram the old cam sensor up the jacksie of the service manager.....but wish I had.....

gav mv6

• leicestershire
    • m/f irmscher mv6 lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 August 2016, 19:14:29 »

only issue ive noticed is she drips a little oil , but pretty sure its either sump or front crank seal which i will replace so not to shabby for the millage  which is why i cant bear to part with it . :'( 
Dam its hard work getting to 250 posts .......

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 August 2016, 19:35:41 »

I know someone with a manual PFL 2.5 TD that recently turned over 335k.  Mine is on just under half that at 164k.  Highest mileage car I've owned, albeit very briefly, was a Senator 3.0 24v auto that was on 249k.  I sold it to a fellow OOF member, think it was on well over 300k by the time it was finally scrapped.

I'd much rather have a high-miler that has been properly maintained than a low miler that hasn't......
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.