Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bicycle damage  (Read 1719 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
bicycle damage
« on: 26 August 2016, 10:30:20 »

my car which I have only owned since mid January I bought mainly because of its condition. the only rust it has is at the front of the sun roof & is the size of a finger nail. a guy on a bike whilst I was stationary at traffic lights came along side & managed to catch my rear n/s door with his pedal. its a scratch about 8" long & about 2" below the door strip. its an easy fix I know but if a motor had caused the damage there is proceeds to claim damages, but a cyclist can just ride off as what happened to me.  >:(

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: bicycle damage
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2016, 11:09:06 »

Yep. They get to keep you doing 5mph behind them in heavy traffic as it's unsafe to overtake, then soon as the road is clear for you, they mount the sodding pavement, leaving your side of the road clear! Red lights don't apply to them, don't pay to be on the roads, have taken no form of test, know nothing of the rules of the road, knowing that in any news report the Mail, or whoever will be on the side of the poor, injured green, planet-saving cyclist vs the evil, tree-destroying car driver. And if you hurt them they can claim of your insurance, of course.  :y

In this instance you claim off your insurance, or pay the repair yourself, which the latter is by far the better option. If you can, a complete door swap might be actually cheaper than a quality respray up to the same standard as Opel's robots.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2016, 11:49:55 »

Maybe you should change your name to raleighwilb..

Ok, sorry, I'll get my coat thing'y.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2016, 16:59:32 »

DBG, not all cyclists are as you describe (though a lot are). I try to give drivers respect when out on my bike and find that mostly i get it back. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2016, 17:25:52 »

Agreed, there ARE good cyclists and there would be loads more if the police enforced Road Traffic Law as vigorously as they do with motorists.

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2016, 18:19:36 »

Agreed, there ARE good cyclists and there would be loads more if the police enforced Road Traffic Law as vigorously as they do with motorists.

Ron.
Police don't enforce anything round here, Ron. Unless you get caught on some sort of camera, you can, more or less, do what you like.
We have a high street at the end of our road, very handy for a spot of shopping, a few pubs, chippies, chinkies, Indians etc. Double yellow lines right up both sides and in most side streets. People park wherever they like.....on the pavement, in bus stops, on zig zags. Haven't seen a warden for months and the police ignore it. That's austerity for you.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2016, 19:40:14 »

Yep. They get to keep you doing 5mph behind them in heavy traffic as it's unsafe to overtake, then soon as the road is clear for you, they mount the sodding pavement, leaving your side of the road clear! Red lights don't apply to them, don't pay to be on the roads, have taken no form of test, know nothing of the rules of the road, knowing that in any news report the Mail, or whoever will be on the side of the poor, injured green, planet-saving cyclist vs the evil, tree-destroying car driver. And if you hurt them they can claim of your insurance, of course.  :y

In this instance you claim off your insurance, or pay the repair yourself, which the latter is by far the better option. If you can, a complete door swap might be actually cheaper than a quality respray up to the same standard as Opel's robots.  :)
I have a handy chap that sprays cars for Yorkshire tv when needed to. he is known as ghosty mick because nobody ever sees him without white dust on his face. but he,s the tops at his job. pretty cheap too.   :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2016, 13:54:34 »

Aye. I do religiously respect the suicyclists, and abide by the rules of the road best I can, make decent room for them, never full throttle overtake them as I know ow intimidating that can feel with a car inches off your elbow speeding past you.

However, there was also the guy who I very nearly killed the other. "Give way to traffic coming from your right at a  roundbout." is, I believe how the highway code goes.... Or, just pedal fast as you can, and make a car do a near-emergency stop whilst on the roundabout. Good system.

But, that won't stop me behaving, same for buses, I always give way to them. Touch wood I've never been the one in a car v cyclist incident causing the problem. At least not that I'm aware, but then I'm sure 99% of bad drivers consider themselves good drivers!!  ;D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2016, 14:06:24 »

Around these parts we not only have the suicyclists riding two abreast at 20 mph around blind corners but lots of teenage girls who aren't old enough to even ride a moped, riding three abreast on their horses with a queue of 30 - 40 cars behind them, with drivers with steam coming out of their ears.
It drives me fickin mad, when trying to get home for a few hours kip between nightshifts.  >:(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2016, 15:47:12 »

Horses and cycles are totally inappropriate to today's road and traffic conditions; we would be better off without them altogether.

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2016, 17:12:41 »

I completely agree. Ron.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2016, 22:23:12 »

I`ve definately noticed an increase in failure to yield & gobbing-off very loudly  ::)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.