Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Standard issue jack  (Read 3742 times)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
Standard issue jack
« on: 27 August 2016, 19:35:29 »

Everyone is probably aware that the standard Vauxhall issue jack that came with the Omega, isn't an item which fills you with confidence when using it....... I've experienced the car rolling off it before now, and luckily didn't trap itself underneath before I got the wheel off.

I'm also not fired up with enthusiasm for carrying around my workshop trolley jack all the time, so just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to a suitable / reliable means of jacking the jar up at the roadside, that doesn't take up a large proportion of boot space.

Hopefully (in an ideal world) I'll not have to use it, but surely there has to be something a bit more rugged and easily stowable ?   :-X
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Standard issue jack
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2016, 20:11:32 »

I think most standard isue car jacks are iffy at best. I've only ever used them when I've had to and used my trolly jack when at home  ;)

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2016, 20:26:50 »

There are only two options, really. Little, almost useless scissor jack, or trolley jack. Two tonne trolley jacks are quite compact but struggle with an omega. Three tonne trolley jacks cope admirably but takes up space and is heavy, so costs fuel. You pays your money........

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2016, 20:29:35 »

The standard jack is flimsy, low geared and cheap but is up to the job of fitting the spare wheel if used on a hard, flat, level surface with the car chocked so it can't move. The car's handbook tells you this, as does every other one I've ever seen

If you don't like that, buy a more secure scissor jack with an adaptor to fit the sill and a large board to use it on.

Or don't get a puncture.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2016, 20:33:20 »

I'd suggest a bottle jack, but you'd have to carry a railway sleeper then.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2016, 20:44:59 »

.... Two tonne trolley jacks are quite compact but struggle with an omega.  ...

Do they .......... how?  ??? You're only lifting 500kg at best when you remove a wheel.

My Merc is 2.3 tonnes & I lift a corner with a 1.8 tone jack with ease  :y

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2016, 20:49:07 »

Do they .......... how?  ??? You're only lifting 500kg at best when you remove a wheel.

OK....the two tonne one I got from halfords struggled....maybe it was a cheap and nasty one. The red one with a yellow handle, came in a box with two axle stands....£9.99  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2016, 21:11:45 »

OK....the two tonne one I got from halfords struggled....maybe it was a cheap and nasty one. The red one with a yellow handle, came in a box with two axle stands....£9.99  ;D

My stands came from Machine Mart and my jack from Costco  ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2016, 22:00:44 »

I have always managed with the tools suppplied, I also carry an extensible wheel nut spanner with reversible deep socket 17/19mm, which is very useful for getting the wheel nuts on in alloy wheel recessed holes. At night a torch is essential, so I carry that too. Whenever I buy another car I check that the tools are all present, and that the wheel nuts and the wheels will come off - wheels can rust on and that is best discovered at home, not on a wet night with a puncture. If the car has locking wheel nuts I replace them with ordinary nuts. I ensure that I have a spare wheel that is inflated and road legal.

I last had a puncture in March of this year, around midnight on a wet night. I managed to get the car on to a level spot clear of traffic, and changed the wheel in about 5 minutes. As long as you know what you are doing it should not be a problem. Otherwise it means a long wait until the breakdown services get to you.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2016, 22:22:45 »

I use the side jack and then if changing a wheel  once jacked up  i slide the spare under the car so if it does drop then it drops onto that and you are safe....if as it should hopefully stay in the air ,once the punctured wheel is removed slide that under the car thus sliding the spare out and fit...job done safely..

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2016, 00:41:20 »

I'd kind of answered my own question in the original post, but always good to get feedback. Having now thought about it, a couple of blocks of wood to stop the car rolling (even on fairly flat surfaces) will be part of my travelling tool kit.  :y
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2016, 07:54:08 »

Terry makes a good point, upgrading the standard wheelbrace to a longer one with a proper 17mm socket is essential.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2016, 08:37:42 »

I ring the RAC as cant be bothered getting dirty or having grief with jack.Thats what I pay for  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2016, 08:48:07 »

I have always managed with the tools suppplied, I also carry an extensible wheel nut spanner with reversible deep socket 17/19mm
The wheel wrench is the only thing that has let me down in an emergency, cleanly sheared the nut bit off, after ATS mongrels but the wheel bolts up to 10,000Nm a couple of weeks before.  So, like you, carry one of those common extendable ones available from most car places.

At night a torch is essential, so I carry that too.
I used to carry a traditional one, but had trouble with battery leaks, as it wasn't used from one year to the next. Got one of those wind up LED ones several years ago to overcome that.  A bit naff, but seems more reliable.  Granted, you'd probably have to wind it up a couple of times during a wheel change.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2016, 09:39:32 »

...... after ATS mongrels but the wheel bolts up to 10,000Nm a couple of weeks before.   ....

The Senator had a solid bar on its wheel brace unlike the Omega's thin walled tube ...... I was bending the Senator's brace trying to undo a wheel with it. I took back to ATS to make the point
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.