Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Space saver spare wheel  (Read 3571 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Space saver spare wheel
« on: 28 August 2016, 10:23:17 »

As I do a lot of towing, I want to replace mine with a proper spare wheel.

Any ideas to the best source, Insignia 18".

The well is big enough to take a proper spare.
I like red cars

STEMO

Re: Space saver spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2016, 10:42:24 »

There are a few 18" alloys on here, as long as you don't mind a mismatch while your tyre is being repaired:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xinsignia+18%22+spare+wheel.TRS0&_nkw=insignia+18%22+spare+wheel&_sacat=0

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2016, 10:43:01 »

Last time I bought a wheel (full size steel) for a Vectra, carnt remember the size, I got it from a VX dealer....£40 iirc

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2016, 11:37:16 »

I'd suggest trying breakers, and budget for a new tyre (as you're towing)
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2016, 17:22:29 »

I'd suggest trying breakers, and budget for a new tyre (as you're towing)

Seems like a plan.
I like red cars

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2016, 17:29:27 »

Trouble with a buying a 2nd hand wheel, is how do you know it isn't already buckled  :-\

New steel wheels aren't that expensive and as its the spare it might as well be steel  :)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2016, 19:03:47 »

I had a space saver in mine but then found a 17" new steel wheel on eBay for £10 it was listed as an 18 but they don't do 18" someone put up a chart that you could get the correct size tyre which was really useful to get it back up to almost the same diameter
I have the country tourer and it has a slightly higher profile than yours will have
Your best bet is look on eBay for an alloy the same as yours
I don't know if you are aware but IE site has almost come to a grinding halt there is a new site if you don't already know about it
https://insignia-drivers.uk/forum.php

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2016, 22:05:45 »

You've had a 'space saver' ie not full size spare, for years in the boot of your Omega, so I wouldn't worry about the space saver in your Insignia ..... as long as it gets you to somewhere where you can get another full size tyre ....... I have one of these in the back of my Merc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj5mTCUWJO8

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2016, 09:28:20 »

No the omega has a spare, not a space saver, 99% of the time cars with alloys have a smaller steel spare wheel with tyre size that makes it near as damnit the same rolling radius, space savers are a crap idea dreamt up my marketing to improve boot space figures but melt if you don't follow the instructions (50 miles/50mph)!

As above I seem to recall trying to hunt down a 18" steel to no avail so look 17 or even 16 if the tyre size converts...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2016, 11:53:20 »

No the omega has a spare, not a space saver, 99% of the time cars with alloys have a smaller steel spare wheel with tyre size that makes it near as damnit the same rolling radius, space savers are a crap idea dreamt up my marketing to improve boot space figures but melt if you don't follow the instructions (50 miles/50mph)!

As above I seem to recall trying to hunt down a 18" steel to no avail so look 17 or even 16 if the tyre size converts...
Rubbish... A full size spare is just that..   It's not just the rolling radius that counts, but a significantly narrower tyre and sidewall height will have a profound effect on handling...

This is why Facelift cars have a 50mph restricted spare :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2016, 13:39:31 »

Unless the spare is the same size tyre, on a wheel with the same width and offset as the other wheels, it has to be considered as a spacesaver. The 15" steel spare wheel in Omegas is a therefore a spacesaver when used in place of any of the 16 and 17" wheels, and the 50mph limit applies.

Spacesavers aren't the best option, but they are much better than not having a spare, or runflats. Many cars simply don't have room for anything the size of a standard wheel and tyre: a TT convertible has a spacesaver, but the wheel you remove won't fit through the boot aperture and has to go on the passenger seat. You can't fit the fullsize wheel into the cradle under an XC90; Volvo supply a canvas bag for it so you don't get the boot dirty!

Being an estate my Omega has just enough room in the wheel well to accommodate a fullsize 17" spare, so I acquired one some time ago. I gave the 15" wheel and tyre to a colleague for his wife's Zafira, which had been supplied with the repair foam that rarely works.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 August 2016, 20:28:28 »

No the omega has a spare, not a space saver,  ....

I specifically said full sized ... the spare in the boot of an Omega is a 195 wide on a 15" rim ...... not the same as those fitted to the car

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2016, 04:39:18 »

The spare wheel in the boot of most of our cars is a full sized spare, just because it's not identical to the alloys doesn't make it a space saver, car manufacturers have to do a one else size fits all for spare wheels - they can't make the boot shape and space different depending get on what wheels were fitted. My spare is a 205 width as opposed to 225 width fitted to the alloys, 20mm difference is not noticeable when driving and the 50 miles/mph certainly doesn't apply as it is a standard tyre and the car is safe upto the lowest speed/load rating of the tyres fitted to the vehicle.

And gollom, rolling radius takes into account sidewall height and there won't be much in it.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2016, 08:11:49 »

The spare wheel in the boot of most of our cars is a full sized spare, just because it's not identical to the alloys doesn't make it a space saver, car manufacturers have to do a one else size fits all for spare wheels - they can't make the boot shape and space different depending get on what wheels were fitted. My spare is a 205 width as opposed to 225 width fitted to the alloys, 20mm difference is not noticeable when driving and the 50 miles/mph certainly doesn't apply as it is a standard tyre and the car is safe upto the lowest speed/load rating of the tyres fitted to the vehicle.

And gollom, rolling radius takes into account sidewall height and there won't be much in it.

Take your car for an MOT with your spare fitted ...... it'll fail. It's smaller than the road wheels so it'll fit in the wheel well ....... it's effectively a space saver

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2016, 12:31:11 »

Please read the manual

In particular, pages 164, 180 and 181 ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.