Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VX and Holden, does anyone know the diffrence?  (Read 2460 times)

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
VX and Holden, does anyone know the diffrence?
« on: 18 December 2007, 13:32:27 »

Hey
im looking to take the omega off the road to do some much needed repairs but would also like to uprate a few parts on it as well. Ive kinda ran into a brick wall with the fact that nowhere does any off the shelf parts for the omega (such as decent suspension, ARB's, bushes etc).

Does anyone know if the Holden equlivant of the omega uses the same parts? not looking for engine mod as there no point modding the 3.0, just running gear.
sideways is the way forward!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: VX and Holden, does anyone know the diffrence?
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2007, 23:30:38 »

Don't know the answer for fact, but although the cars have common ancestry they have driven apart considerably over time, so I think you will find that very few items are a simple direct swap.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2007, 23:30:56 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2007, 09:17:26 »

very different cars, the holden is wider than the Omega, and most are V8's

Doors are the same, bonnet, bumpers are not. Hardly any of the leccys are the same.... they are different beasts.

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
  • Catskill, New York, USA
  • Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2007, 14:12:42 »

We've discovered that the front brake calipers from the GTO (your Monaro) fit the Catera. All you need are the calipers and the longer Monaro brake hoses. Since the Monaro is basically a Commodore coupe I assume Commodore brakes will fit too. Through trial & error some Catera owners are learning which Monaro parts will serve the Catera. The Monaro discs are the same size as the Omega's but for a different lug bolt pattern so there's no benefit. The rear shocks will fit as will any upgrade GTO dampers. So will the front struts as long as you use springs made for the Catera. Monaro springs are calibrated to deal with the V8. Holden uses different lower front control arms so their bushes won't fit the Omega. However the Rear Outer Suspension Bushes will. Super Pro and Whiteline make eccentric polyurethane bushes that will firm up the rear and allow more adjustment range to help align the rear wheels when using lowering springs. Lexmaul makes Front and Rear suspension tower braces. That's all I have so far.

Elvin

Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball, If that's all there is

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2007, 13:13:51 »

Doors are the same, bonnet, bumpers are not. Hardly any of the leccys are the same.... they are different beasts.

i did a little research on this last night and a commodore of the same age if only 22mm wider, i don’t imagine GM motors re-designing a complete shell just to add on a few mm. At a guess it would say it probably comes with wider wheels to compensate for the extra power. ill find out for definite though

We've discovered that the front brake calipers from the GTO (your Monaro) fit the Catera. All you need are the calipers and the longer Monaro brake hoses. Since the Monaro is basically a Commodore coupe I assume Commodore brakes will fit too. Through trial & error some Catera owners are learning which Monaro parts will serve the Catera. The Monaro discs are the same size as the Omega's but for a different lug bolt pattern so there's no benefit. The rear shocks will fit as will any upgrade GTO dampers. So will the front struts as long as you use springs made for the Catera. Monaro springs are calibrated to deal with the V8. Holden uses different lower front control arms so their bushes won't fit the Omega. However the Rear Outer Suspension Bushes will. Super Pro and Whiteline make eccentric polyurethane bushes that will firm up the rear and allow more adjustment range to help align the rear wheels when using lowering springs. Lexmaul makes Front and Rear suspension tower braces. That's all I have so far.

Elvin

thank you very much! thats very useful, do you have a site at all where this is discussed in more detail? i understand the lower front control arms are diffrent, but are you aware if they use the same mounting point? i dont like the control arms on the omega at all, dont look very strong and look like they could flex under pressure.
sideways is the way forward!

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2007, 13:37:50 »

i did a little research on this last night and a commodore of the same age if only 22mm wider, i don’t imagine GM motors re-designing a complete shell just to add on a few mm. At a guess it would say it probably comes with wider wheels to compensate for the extra power. ill find out for definite though

Elvin

thank you very much! thats very useful, do you have a site at all where this is discussed in more detail? i understand the lower front control arms are diffrent, but are you aware if they use the same mounting point? i dont like the control arms on the omega at all, dont look very strong and look like they could flex under pressure.

Yes the shells are different, this is to accomodate the additional ancills and the V8

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2007, 17:15:04 »

The Omega and Commodore share some DNA but are very different machines. The 2 roof seams on the Commodore hide the welds where Holden inserted a new wider roof. That is the most visible indicator of their differences. Read the following for more details.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24348&highlight=catera+gto

thank you very much! thats very useful, do you have a site at all where this is discussed in more detail? i understand the lower front control arms are different, but are you aware if they use the same mounting point? i dont like the control arms on the omega at all, dont look very strong and look like they could flex under pressure.

The GTO/Monaro brake upgrade is covered on the Cadillac Owners - Catera Forum. Search for more threads regarding Catera upgrades. There's not much in the way of performance mods as the Cat never sold well enough to gain aftermarket support. That being the case we've become our own R&D team and are slowly finding ways to improve our cars. The most ambitious is the Catera V8 project. And if you haven't seen this yet, the inspiration for the project is the sensational Lingenfelter Catera.

Elvin

[/i][/b]

arthill

• Greenock
  • HI all pleased to join Forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2007, 20:12:50 »

I understood ome was an Oz and one was a Pom.
John

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2007, 20:47:52 »

????

Could you translate that into American please?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2007, 21:05:08 »

Elvin

They ARE different shells, the windscreen from an Omega would fall straight though on a Holden. As Jay mentioned they are wider to fit in the V8 bits and peices.

The doors, some brake parts, and maybe the diff are the same, thats about it.

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2007, 21:13:59 »

????

Seeing as he's from Greenock, it'll need to be translated into english before it could be translated into american.

I think the reference is to the original question, i.e. What's the difference between Vx and Holden.

Holden is an Australian company, hence 'Oz' and Vx is a British company, hence 'Pom' which is a derogatory term for the English used mainly by Commonwealth countries in the southern hemisphere.

:y
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2007, 21:23:10 »

Got it. Thanks.

Elvin

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2007, 18:01:29 »

????

Seeing as he's from Greenock, it'll need to be translated into english before it could be translated into american.

I think the reference is to the original question, i.e. What's the difference between Vx and Holden.

Holden is an Australian company, hence 'Oz' and Vx is a British company, hence 'Pom' which is a derogatory term for the English used mainly by Commonwealth countries in the southern hemisphere.

And 'Pom' is an abreviated form of the French 'Pomme' meaning apple
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

Minispud

• Intermediate Member
  • Banbury, Oxfordshire
  • Ride hard with Passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2007, 18:56:26 »

Elvin

They ARE different shells, the windscreen from an Omega would fall straight though on a Holden. As Jay mentioned they are wider to fit in the V8 bits and peices.

The doors, some brake parts, and maybe the diff are the same, thats about it.

But is not the V8 just 1 cylinder per side longer than a V6, is the V8 engine in the Holden a 90 dregee V8, if not then there must be other reasons, as to why the Holden's are wider than the Omega's and is the V6 Vauxhall engine a reworked GM V8, as Rover did with the V6 engine in the Metro 6R4, which start life as the old V8 out of a SDI
D.A.R.N.A Cycles.   Ride with Passion in your Heart

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2007, 19:41:38 »

????

And 'Pom' is an abreviated form of the French 'Pomme' meaning apple

Interesting. An extract from Wikipedia.

"Pommy
The term pommy or pommie is commonly used by speakers of Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and Afrikaans. It is often shortened to pom. The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies, most being backronyms.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) strongly supports the theory that pom and pommy originated as contractions of "pomegranate", Australian rhyming slang for immigrant. The OED cites a well-known Australian weekly, The Bulletin, which on 14 November 1912 reported: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse."[1]

A false etymology (or "backronym") common in both Australia and New Zealand is that pom originated as an acronym for "prisoner of (his/her) majesty" or "prisoner of mother England". Although many of the first British settlers in Australasia were convicts sentenced to transportation to Australia, there is no evidence for this. Some proponents of this theory claim that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with "POHM" or "POME" emblazoned on the back, but there are no images or examples of these uniforms.

Other etymologies which are unsupported by evidence include :

"prisoner of Millbank", after the area of London where prisoners were held prior to transportation;
it is rhyming slang for tommy, international slang for a British soldier;
an acronym for "Port of Melbourne". However, the term "pommy" was coined long before POM was used as acronym for the port.
comes from "pomme", French for apple. The joke was that the pale British would turn red, like an apple, with sunburn when they landed in Australia.
Another backronym for POM relates to English immigrants who could not adjust to their new surroundings and were considered "prisoners of Mother England", in terms of attitude and culture."

Probably should be in 'General Chat' but interesting nevertheless.  :y
« Last Edit: 21 December 2007, 19:44:51 by martin_saint »
[size=24]        [/size][/b]
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.