Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annonymous poll on running costs of site  (Read 10304 times)

RonaldMcBurger

Annonymous poll on running costs of site
« on: 25 July 2006, 22:12:45 »

Please do not feel obliged to answer this, but it would help to get an idea of where everyone's opinions lie. It doesn't matter which way you vote, just pick the one that you wish to answer - no questions asked, no repercussions, no worries:

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Annonymous poll on running costs of site
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2006, 22:19:19 »

I just saved £90 the other day thanks to this site (jamie) for doing an oil change, Vx Oil change quote of £100  :o (£60 masterfit)

And all the advice on my possible projects

So i think i can spare £1  ;)

Even £10 donation will still be a bargin for all the info i had

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2006, 22:24:16 »

well said, count me in
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2006, 22:59:13 »

The advice and repartee is worth far more than that :D Definitely count me IN :)

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2006, 23:28:47 »

I voted NO

I would rather make a decent contribution. If a contribution is an option, £10-£15 is worth the effort of sending the money and shows a commiment to the Forum as many of us have gained far more than this in the knowledge shared by the people on here.

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2006, 23:59:27 »

I voted against £1.00  cos the cost of collecting the £ will not
leave much for the site overheads - i.e bandwidth, site visits, etc.

most of the pound will go to "B*NK" robbers  - my  view.

:question :question :question
« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 00:03:11 by iggy21uk »
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2006, 00:29:34 »

Same here, I think £10 to £15. By the time you have sent a cheque or postal order for £1 it would cost about £2.50 anyway.

If you think thats a lot include a club sticker.

Would be better if you could pay by card.

If you have money left over at the end of the year, we could have all have a Paaaarty. ;D shameless style
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

boss

• Lesta
  • Fat Contoller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2006, 02:38:44 »

Yeah no worries 8-)
Everything imagined, exists......somewhere....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2006, 05:37:37 »

I voted yes, but would be happy to pay more..... :)

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2006, 05:56:22 »

Thanks for all the opinions and votes so far. this is part of what makes a site great, the pople that really use it and vaue it. IF, and I do stress IF we went ahead with a 'donation' type situation it would be done through PayPal most likely, so there wouldbe very little in the way of loss.

In view of the feedback so far, perhaps an open donation may be the way to go. People could then donate whatever they wished. I was also thinking that if enough people did so and there was any surplus, we could perhaps purchase tools that would belong to all members for free loan whenever needed.

All just thoughts at this early stage and once again I don't want anyone to feel they have to do anything, all just open to opinion which we value very highly on this forum.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2006, 06:47:49 »

I agree with the general opinion...I voted yes, but as I suggested in another thread, I would be willing to make a voluntary contibution towards the running costs.

I like red cars

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2006, 07:06:20 »

DO YOU THINK I'M MADE OF MONEY,EH? ;D

summat

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2006, 07:26:04 »

Voted YES just for the metrics, but this is a nugatory amount. As others have said, this would be swallowed by administration costs (hell, just driving to the bank in an Omega to cash a £1 cheque would use more petrol just cranking the engine).

Opinions to pay by card - I cannot believe that anyone associated with the running of the site could set that up, however, it does open up the option of 3rd-party pay systems (e.g. paypal).

One system I did see which worked well (well, it got $50 from me) was a voluntary system, where the site admins just gently prodded on an open forum every now and then for pay whatever they felt was appropriate.

To the admins: consider that with, say 100 people, you're likely only to get payment from the dedicated hardcore (whoever they are), so maybe 20-30% (despite what the poll says), and that figure is going to be directly proportional to the ease at which payments can be made (i.e. if you can pay at the keyboard then you're more likely to do so than if you have to walk to the post office and buy and post a postal order - contrived example, perhaps). Understand what you're trying to achieve - if you want to cover all costs then you're surely going to need significantly more than the £40-£60 that the £1/head is likely to attain. If all you're trying to do is take the sting off the running costs (e.g. pay for a base-station to be running 24/7) then the proposed method will certainly do that, but little else.

Just my two penneths worth (hmmm, gonna need some more two penneths... :p )

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 July 2006, 07:32:56 »

Voted yes

I would definately be willing to pay towards costs as the amount of pennies I have saved over previous months on this site and the other through help from people is amazing.

Roy

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 July 2006, 07:36:24 »

Voted YES just for the metrics, but this is a nugatory amount. As others have said, this would be swallowed by administration costs (hell, just driving to the bank in an Omega to cash a £1 cheque would use more petrol just cranking the engine).

Opinions to pay by card - I cannot believe that anyone associated with the running of the site could set that up, however, it does open up the option of 3rd-party pay systems (e.g. paypal).

One system I did see which worked well (well, it got $50 from me) was a voluntary system, where the site admins just gently prodded on an open forum every now and then for pay whatever they felt was appropriate.

To the admins: consider that with, say 100 people, you're likely only to get payment from the dedicated hardcore (whoever they are), so maybe 20-30% (despite what the poll says), and that figure is going to be directly proportional to the ease at which payments can be made (i.e. if you can pay at the keyboard then you're more likely to do so than if you have to walk to the post office and buy and post a postal order - contrived example, perhaps). Understand what you're trying to achieve - if you want to cover all costs then you're surely going to need significantly more than the £40-£60 that the £1/head is likely to attain. If all you're trying to do is take the sting off the running costs (e.g. pay for a base-station to be running 24/7) then the proposed method will certainly do that, but little else.

Just my two penneths worth (hmmm, gonna need some more two penneths... :p )

I agree. Voted yes but I think you should ask for donations. £1 is a small price to pay for all the info and I for one would be willing to pay more.
Retired

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2006, 08:49:45 »

We can't give you an exact figure right now guys.

We have discovered that cheapest is not always a good idea! :-[

We won't be asking for any donations for a little while anyway, as we want to have a trial period with any new host before commiting to a longer contract and we will absorb the costs in any trial period.

In the meantime, many thanks for all the offers, it is much appreciated. :)

The Administrator.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 July 2006, 09:25:59 »

We can't give you an exact figure right now guys.

We have discovered that cheapest is not always a good idea! :-[

We won't be asking for any donations for a little while anyway, as we want to have a trial period with any new host before commiting to a longer contract and we will absorb the costs in any trial period.

In the meantime, many thanks for all the offers, it is much appreciated. :)

Keep us informed, we don't want you guys out of pocket.
I like red cars

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #17 on: 26 July 2006, 09:56:16 »

No, as Laidback has said we are not looking for anything at the moment. It just helps us to plan ahead if we know what is what etc. As you may or may not be aware we had some problems last week and have now relocated our servers to a different company. Until we see how that goes for a few weeks we won't know what we are thinking of for certain, bt the feedback is most useful and very encouraging.

Thanks again for all your support, it doesn't go un-noticed.

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 July 2006, 10:07:08 »

I know you guys aren't looking for money at the moment, but the amount of effort put into this site so far and the time spent helping people out just can't have a value put on it.

Please set-up a paypal account so that people who would like to can make a voluntary contribution.

I for one would like to buy you guys a beer!!

Cheers
Merv

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 July 2006, 10:26:45 »

I think I've had to much Stella this week  :-[

Thanks for the support guys, it is really appreciated...
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 July 2006, 10:28:24 »

Thanks for all the opinions and votes so far. this is part of what makes a site great, the pople that really use it and vaue it. IF, and I do stress IF we went ahead with a 'donation' type situation it would be done through PayPal most likely, so there wouldbe very little in the way of loss.

In view of the feedback so far, perhaps an open donation may be the way to go. People could then donate whatever they wished. I was also thinking that if enough people did so and there was any surplus, we could perhaps purchase tools that would belong to all members for free loan whenever needed.

All just thoughts at this early stage and once again I don't want anyone to feel they have to do anything, all just open to opinion which we value very highly on this forum.

just a thought - paypal will take a fair whack bottom end Ronnie

Maybe a bank account could be set up - if no one wants to use there own -  and we can all bank transfer it in -theres no charges that way

I think paypal takes about 20p in the first £1 and about 55p for a £10

if we have 30 members paying a tenner ( as an example) its nearly £20lost.....

just a thought, nothing more  ;) as a scotsman you know how tight i am!!!

« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 10:29:04 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 July 2006, 10:36:14 »

I'd be happy to pay more!  ;)
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 26 July 2006, 10:43:29 »

OK is this site running on a server rented space or is it a Jaime supplied server?

THis will be of interest to the more techy elements here

STMO123

« Reply #23 on: 26 July 2006, 11:39:10 »

I think you should pay according to the amount of posts you've made(whadyasay, Marks..and Martin..andSalty?) :P
« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 11:44:56 by STMO123 »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 July 2006, 11:49:56 »

I think I've had to much Stella this week  :-[

Thanks for the support guys, it is really appreciated...

can never have too much stella Jamie!!  :o

STMO123

« Reply #25 on: 26 July 2006, 11:54:41 »

I think you should pay according to the amount of posts you've made(whadyasay, Marks..and Martin..andSalty?) :P

183 Mark. this could work out expensive ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 July 2006, 12:18:20 »

OK is this site running on a server rented space or is it a Jaime supplied server?

This will be of interest to the more techy elements here
It was running on a shared host with a hosting company, until they pulled the plug on us Monday morning  >:( (that was the cause of Monday's downtime - they were slow in allowing us access to our content to deploy it on the current server).  However, we were not satisfied with the performance of it anyway, and they seemed incapable of fixing the performance issues with their servers.

It is, as noticed by anyone who looked into it running on the reference platform that I had set up, at the wrong end of a DSL link (hence me wanting to know what performance is like - fantastic here, as I have a gigabit connection to it :D).

Obviously, we cannot run a site like this on a DSL line, so we are working hard looking for a new, more reliable host.

For those that are interested, it is a virtual machine (using VMWare) running on a W2k3 server. The VM guest is a RedHat EL 4.2, 128Mb RAM running Apache as the webserver.  The DSL line is provided by Zen Internet.
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 July 2006, 12:25:06 »

183 Mark. this could work out expensive ;)

um, er, searches for WIVES credit card...

Martin_1962

« Reply #28 on: 26 July 2006, 12:25:51 »

This will be of interest to the more techy elements here
It was running on a shared host with a hosting company, until they pulled the plug on us Monday morning  >:( (that was the cause of Monday's downtime - they were slow in allowing us access to our content to deploy it on the current server).  However, we were not satisfied with the performance of it anyway, and they seemed incapable of fixing the performance issues with their servers.

It is, as noticed by anyone who looked into it running on the reference platform that I had set up, at the wrong end of a DSL link (hence me wanting to know what performance is like - fantastic here, as I have a gigabit connection to it :D).

Obviously, we cannot run a site like this on a DSL line, so we are working hard looking for a new, more reliable host.

For those that are interested, it is a virtual machine (using VMWare) running on a W2k3 server. The VM guest is a RedHat EL 4.2, 128Mb RAM running Apache as the webserver.  The DSL line is provided by Zen Internet.

That all makes sense!

archermk

• Roundabout City, Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 July 2006, 13:05:19 »

I think most of us enjoy using this forum and find great value in the techy stuff. You can't ask a Haynes manual to explain tself, and you will be lucky to find a Vx workshop manager who is prepared to do so. Here, answers are free, quick, good humoured and generally right-first-time.

I would have no problem with a membership contribution. A voluntary system is fine, but I would suggest that a "guide" amount be specified with a view to covering the running costs.

J

archermk

• Roundabout City, Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 26 July 2006, 17:59:42 »

My 98 Mega sailed thru its MOT today, no faults at all. I think that provides a good reason why I find this forum so helpful. Thanks all.

stuart30

« Reply #31 on: 26 July 2006, 18:57:59 »

Agree with the rest...£10/£15 is what an hour or an hour an a half's pay.

Im sure all you guys have put a damn sight more time  than that getting this forum up and running and reasons why you did aside thats still some serious commitment.

Either paypal or as suggested maybe a bank account would be best.....please please dont ask for a cheque.....if you do give me 6 months advanced warning. :-[ :)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 July 2006, 19:02:22 »

i would happily pay £10 to assist in the running of the site, aside from the money that could be saved there is the 'social' side of it to consider.

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 July 2006, 20:38:17 »

no probs getting a tenner out of me mateys  ;) well worth it imo  ;)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 July 2006, 20:47:25 »

def worth the money
  chaps but avoid paypal cos i dont have it!!!! agree a pound is not enough but think you would get more donations if you set it at a fiver rather than a tenner
but then dont you run in to tax problems? as the money has to be declared by the treasurer? unless its a charitee of course!!!
Omegatoy

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 July 2006, 21:45:14 »

A difficult one this, asking for donations, could mean not everyone donates, Asking for a membership fee could stop people joining.

Personaly I would not have a problem paying  to help with the running costs of the site. AutobahnStormers charge £20 and look at the benefits you get with that, a money saving Trade Club Card !   I for one, have saved a packet in maintanace cost, due to the help and advice given by people on this forum.   I agree with some of the other comments, if you are , at sometime in the future going to ask for some spondoolies, then make it a decent amount  , say, £30 per year? Any excess could then be used for the good of the forum, i.e. a toolbank perhaps.

The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #36 on: 26 July 2006, 22:14:25 »

Some great feedback here guys. I can see all opinions and points of view. At the end of the day it is your site. I persoanlly would never agree to 'demanding' any form of finance from any forum users. There will be many who think a donation towards running costs is a good idea, but equally I respect those who think it should be free and I have no problem with that either. I really could never agree to a compulsary membership or fee, or any form of revealing who has contributed or not, or any reward for doing so either. We have to bear in mind that some may actually not be in a position to offer anything either.

Just feeling the water here everyone and thanks for all your comments and opinions so far. Keep them, coming, I am all ears and totally open to suggestions, critisim, disagreement etc.

Cheers all. ;)

Robin Hood

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26 July 2006, 23:09:15 »

I've just tested my water - it's not gone blue but it's got to be good for double figures.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 July 2006, 08:36:13 »

Hi all

I, like others, would be happy to contribute say £15 - 30 towards the site.

I think that a tool bank purchased with any left over monies is also a great idea.

Just my two pennath.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 July 2006, 14:31:45 »

If funds wern't so tight, I would be running a 3.0 Elite. however they are, but I would be happy to push a folded fiver in your direction once a year (that's just 2, count them, 2 pints of beer!)
Well worth the money.
Thanks guys.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 July 2006, 14:32:49 »

Actually, thinking about it, a couple of smaller donations a year would be viable for me.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 July 2006, 13:18:04 »

Come on guys - make with the moolah.

I've been thinking about this whilst busy pulling pints last night ,and if you had a mate who came around every time you had a problem with the car and helped you fix it, I'm sure that every last one of us would take him to the pub for a few beers as a sign of gratitude. Well I'm not about to get a round in for all of you, but I think you get my point.  If this site can save somebodys car / wallet / skinned nuckles / marriage, then a donation equivilent to a couple of pints would be a small price to pay.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30 July 2006, 15:58:51 »

As has been said before I would be prepared to donate well  more than a quid. Well worth it for all the help, advice and camaraderie (i thnk I spelt it right :-/ ) that you get on here :)
« Last Edit: 30 July 2006, 17:22:45 by admin »
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31 July 2006, 01:57:16 »

Laidback,

44 people said OK so far, this site is not going to run on £44 a year?

My view is that it should be a tenner or nothing. And I suggest to get sponsership as well.

If you collect too much money, I am sure you will find ways to re-invest it in the site or come up with other ideas how to benefit the users.

And if you still got some left? Buy beer to the people that work for nothing in admining and moding the site.

« Last Edit: 31 July 2006, 01:57:44 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 31 July 2006, 08:38:16 »

We've discussed some options of what to do with any left-over funds. Buying some tools (along lines of cambelt lock kits, though we've probably got enough of them) that members can use is looking to be favourite....
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 31 July 2006, 09:59:07 »

Once we have sorted a new host, and tested them, we will come back to the matter of donations.

It will be done on a purely voluntary basis and will be as much as people want to give. There will be no minimum and no maximum.

There will be no advertising though. We don't like it, it is intrusive, and takes away from the independant nature of this place (unless Vauxhall wish to advertise in return for very preferential rates on Monaros for the Admin team!  :D)

The Administrator.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 31 July 2006, 12:13:25 »

On another note - have you negotiated a discount yet with Tony (STS Watford)? It is a bit annoying having to mention VxON every time I go there.... And in a way we 'advertise' him anyway.

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 31 July 2006, 12:32:27 »

Working on it ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.