Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to locate coolant leak  (Read 4439 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Trying to locate coolant leak
« Reply #30 on: 07 October 2012, 18:55:20 »

If the coolent level stops at a cirtain level, would that imply that is the height of the leak..? Project that level accross the engine bay and cooling system and look above that level, as a first off i suppose...? Very odd that it holds pressure to that point too... Although it may take a cirtain amount of pressure to leak by, ie only leak above that psi. I've seen loose jubilees do this as they have a flat on the inner circumference, although no jubilees are used as stock.

I'd say removing scuttle, plenum, inlet and plastic wedge would be vital to a thorough pressure test, although you'll need to plug the throttle body collant pipes or use those to pressurise the system.

As said though that year doesn't bode well, so be prepared to clime up on the engine and look round the back of pot 6. There's core plugs between the head and coil PAC bracket, and bulkhead, lifting eye and surrounding gubbins all conspire to block your view of the back of the head. Mirror on a stick...?

It's also worth a look from under the car and up eround the back/top of the bell housing. Many an omega has the pink(or whatever colour of your coolant) residue dribbling down there like candle wax, but never actually reaching the floor due to heat evaporating it off first.

Might also be worth checking the coolent bottle and cap for leaks cracks or residue around the neck having cleaned it first. Caps are known to play up.

Does the engine temp vary? Is the oil milky on the dip stick? Any more mayo on the filler neck than normal? And mayo in the breather system or plenum inlet..? Hope not. :(

same come to my mind , for this I asked for thermostat and oil cooler :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 October 2012, 19:02:13 »

Stat and oil cooler were replaced some months ago ,but from my limited memory  :D  I had a coolant leak before that...but perhaps that was from the oil cooler plate which I replaced so I solved 1 leak but created another at a similar level  so all my thinking about what I had done to cure the leak was correct for the original 1 but had created another . :o

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #32 on: 07 October 2012, 19:11:43 »

Stat and oil cooler were replaced some months ago ,but from my limited memory  :D  I had a coolant leak before that...but perhaps that was from the oil cooler plate which I replaced so I solved 1 leak but created another at a similar level  so all my thinking about what I had done to cure the leak was correct for the original 1 but had created another . :o

no worries, on those old cars you solve one problem , another pops up, either by your help or alone ;D :y

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 October 2012, 21:28:36 »

Sounds like a good result, fingers crossed!

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 October 2012, 23:07:03 »

Yes,they are very firmly crossed  ::),so will see what happens this week if the level drops again :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.