Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: fuel consumption  (Read 6206 times)

05omegav6

Re: fuel consumption
« Reply #45 on: 03 November 2012, 09:12:44 »

Accepting that your car does 23mpg is one thing :y

Paying £1.38ish for a litre of fuel, when you can buy a perfectly good alternative for a mere £0.78ish per litre is something entirely different  :-\

The simple saving of running a car on lpg apply whether it's a Fiesta or a Supercharged V12 Merc, which is nice :y

but you need to spend the value of most Omegas before you can use the 78p per litre fuel ....... it's not a direct comparison  ???

You missed my point. ::) LPG itself doesn't make a car more economical, but it does give a cost per mile that compares favourably with diesel. This gives people who need/prefer larger cars a wider choice when purchasing their cars. A petrol car of any age will always be significantly cheaper to buy/maintain than it's diesel equivalent.

As for the spare wheel arguement, most new cars don't have a proper one any way, runflat tyres are more prevolent and thus cheaper than they used to be, also decent breakdown cover needent cost a fortune.

Macduff

• Intermediate Member
  • Bedfordshire
    • Omege 2.6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 November 2012, 09:42:22 »

If you want to and enjoy driving Omegas then you just have to accept that they are not the most frugal cars in the world so you just have to live with or as previously mentioned buy a smaller more economical car if you want good fuel economy the Omega is obviously not for you. Fitting LPG to a ten or twelve year old car simply  does not make economical sense when you take into consideration the installation costs, any way I like my huge boot it comes in very handy especially when going on holiday when her indoors wants to take everything including the kitchen sink :y
Born free taxed to death

05omegav6

« Reply #47 on: 03 November 2012, 13:09:17 »

If you want to and enjoy driving Omegas then you just have to accept that they are not the most frugal cars in the world so you just have to live with or as previously mentioned buy a smaller more economical car if you want good fuel economy the Omega is obviously not for you. Fitting LPG to a ten or twelve year old car simply  does not make economical sense when you take into consideration the installation costs, any way I like my huge boot it comes in very handy especially when going on holiday when her indoors wants to take everything including the kitchen sink :y
Why not :-\

The only reason it wouldn't pay for itself is if the car is very lightly used, in which case the fuel cost is probably irrelevant :-\ The maths work whether you do a modest mileage in a Fiesta or a big luxobarge :y As for the boot space you can get vertical donut tanks for the saloons. I suspect also that the estate driving caravsnists put the spare wheel and jack in the 'van in order to avoid emptying the boot at the roadside if they do get a puncture :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03 November 2012, 20:00:25 »

Why not :-\

The only reason it wouldn't pay for itself is if the car is very lightly used, in which case the fuel cost is probably irrelevant :-\ The maths work whether you do a modest mileage in a Fiesta or a big luxobarge :y As for the boot space you can get vertical donut tanks for the saloons. I suspect also that the estate driving caravsnists put the spare wheel and jack in the 'van in order to avoid emptying the boot at the roadside if they do get a puncture :y

Have to agree there, I converted my 2.2 to LPG in March 2010, it was 10 years old when converted & had 135k on the clock.

Its now on 157k, but when I was doing 150 miles a day the savings were significant. Now I no longer commute, but still quite often do quite a few miles, (prob going to do 500 miles this month) it makes it so cheap to run.

Getting equivalent of 55mpg, thanks to LPG less than half the price of fuel. Its great paying 68p litre  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 04 November 2012, 10:25:27 »

From my 3.0l, I get 19-20mpg combined, over several thousand miles.

From my 3.2l, I get 17-18mpg combined, over several thousand miles.

Style - I don't drive for economy... ...at 77p a litre, I don't need to.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 04 November 2012, 10:27:26 »

Its great paying 68p litre
Cheapest around here is 75.9p, about 15 miles away. Local BP, currently the only one within 15 miles (excluding the Countrywide), is 78.9p.

Desperately need a supermarket selling LPG around these parts.
Grumpy old man

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 04 November 2012, 12:44:58 »

If you want to and enjoy driving Omegas then you just have to accept that they are not the most frugal cars in the world so you just have to live with or as previously mentioned buy a smaller more economical car if you want good fuel economy the Omega is obviously not for you.
There a are a lot of reasons to drive an omega, agreed fuel economy is not one but I can't think of any car as safe comfortable good looking good value longer lasting with good handling that has a lot better fuel consumption.

Plus driving style can make a huge difference to consumption, with a V6 you can stay in fifth gear in a lot of urban driving, take roundabouts at 40  or you can cruise at 60 on the motorway and get good figures. Now I'm all grown up I almost never use the performance but its nice to know its there.

kingycos2

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 05 November 2012, 00:11:01 »

I had my 3.2 auto live mapped 2 years ago, was getting 420/450plus to a tank (500 was achievable on a good run through France at 60/65mph), was averaging 23-26 mpg round town and 35-40 on motorway.... I sacrificed performance a fraction for economy, but 4 trips to France a year played a big part in my decision towards this!!!!!!!

brendan1983

• Hampshire
    • Omega CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 05 November 2012, 09:45:24 »

Hi All,

I've just done my first long trip in mine...  Fareham (Hampshire) to West Wales, 242 miles each way...  did the whole trip on 1 full tank, I got 33.4mpg overall. Not bad I don't think considering I took a lot of stuff up there so the car was quite heavy.
2003 CDX & Yamaha Thunderace

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 05 November 2012, 10:40:00 »

Hi All,

....  Fareham (Hampshire) to  ....

Used to know the place quite well. Was at HMS Collingwood for a while, early 80s  ;) ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.