Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Just bought a 3.0 V6 Elite W reg... did I buy a lemon?  (Read 4503 times)

rollacorolla

Just bought a 3.0 V6 Elite W reg... did I buy a lemon?
« on: 23 December 2014, 08:21:00 »

Hi all,

On Saturday I collected my Omega 3.0 V6 Elite W Reg. It has 69,000 miles on it (maybe a little more as the ABS ECU was out of action for a couple of months before being replaced). All seemed fine when I gave it a once over and took it for a test drive. The previous owner had replaced the cambelt and tensioner (he gave me the receipt and old parts as proof) and said it had just had an oil change.

But... I've now noticed the infamous hot oil smell inside the car when idling. I have looked through the forums and will give the engine a good clean (it's filthy), check the pollen filters, check the coolant hoses (these feel scrunchy, not firm, so will replace). etc. There does seem to be a fair bit of oil on and around the engine which could indicate the cam cover gaskets need replacing.

Also, the coolant sensor warning comes on so I'm planning a coolant flush. I will also change oil, fuel and air filters and the oil (which looks really dirty), but that's about the limit of my mechanical knowledge. I've had a look at the guide to replace the cam cover gaskets and that is beyond my capability. I'm thinking to change the ATF fluid too if that's not too difficult.

Otherwise the car looks good, the interior is fine, it drives fine.

I have e-mailed a Vauxhall agent to ask them if they can give it a once over and give me a report. I would appreciate any advice from other forum members - is there an Omega expert anywhere near High Wycombe who could take a look at it and advise me? Do I have any recourse with the seller - he assured me there was nothing wrong with the car and sold it to me as a trader even though it was his personal car.

Many thanks.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought a 3.0 V6 Elite W reg... did I buy a lemon?
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2014, 09:04:52 »

That's all  normal! I've yet to see an Omega that didn't have a filthy engine. The cause of that, camcover gaskets, is a fiddly job not a difficult one. I'd say that the ATF change is a worse job.
A little basic maintenance should make a usable car.

powerslinky

« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2014, 09:37:07 »

Coolant sensor warning ?   do you mean "low coolant" warning?  Provided coolant is showing the correct level , it's usually

the float sensor in the coolant header tank. Try giving it a few prods with a screwdriver this sometimes will cure it . If not ,

sensor is not replaceable  . . . new header tank needed . . . but only about £35.

Am a bit concerned that you have asked a vauxhall dealer for a report . . . could come back with a list as long as your arm & a repair estimate close to a sizable lottery win ::) ::)

Hence VX dealers are known as "Stealers" on here.

Best to post up another request for one of the mechanics on here to check it out for you IMO

Unless an omega is purchased from a known source /friend etc. where full recent history is known , they all need a bit of sorting out .

If cam covers are leaking  . . it's too late, but regular breather cleaning is essential.

Any uneven wear on the front tyres ?   another omega nasty point to look for which means worn wishbones .

Hopefully you have got the wallet with the manuals in & more importantly the "Car Pass"  which is a credit card sized card

with the cars codes on for keys & radio/CD etc.

So . . .  have you brought a lemon ?     Unlikely . . . as said they all need some sort of work on them purely from the age .

On the upside  . .  most things are covered in the maintenance guides

HTH      regards, Al :y
« Last Edit: 23 December 2014, 09:45:07 by Essex Big Al »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2014, 09:58:39 »

I wouldn't bother with the Vauxhall Dealer for repairs.  ::)  Try sending JamesV6CDX a PM as he is near you and might be willing to check it over, although I'm not sure if he is doing work on cars at the moment.  :-\  Worth a try though.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2014, 10:30:32 »

James is the man in your area top man.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2014, 10:42:59 »

In the nicest possible way, the Vauxhall Dealers know sweet fa about them. Only a few weeks ago one OOFer was in one, getting a part, and the chap at the desk casually mentioned "oh. I didn't know Vauxhall made a car called the Omega"

::) ??? :-[ :o

Every problem you've mentioned is actually very sortable, and, provided you havent paid the earth for the car in the first place, most likely got yourself a fair old bargain. Maintain the stuff that needs maintaining and she'll look after you for biiiig miles. We're talking a quarter of a million, if the German Police's standards are anything to go by.

additional:
Mechanic mate who mends Omegas took the 2 litre engine out of a scrapper, and fitted it in a local taxi. The engine was running sweet as a nut and done at the point of removal.....

333,329 miles.

:y
« Last Edit: 23 December 2014, 10:45:17 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2014, 12:08:42 »

If it drives well and got you home, and has no engine light on, I reckon you're OK. Engine smelling of hot oil sounds like cam cover gasket gone. With engine hot open the bonnet and see if you can see smoke rising either side. If you can, that is the side that has gone. Changing it is quite a job, involving taking off the entire inlet manifold. It will have been caused by blocked breathers, so that will need doing as well.

When I buy a used Omega I always make sure I can undo all the wheel nuts, then jack it up and see if I can get the wheels off. If you have a decent jack and an axle stand, you can support it safely to allow you to inspect the steering, suspension, exhaust, etc. If you cannot get nuts or wheels off come back here, get advice, and get them off.

Check that all the lights work, and all the electrics, wipers, horns, washers, radio, etc. they probably do and that will comfort you. Change air filter and pollen filter, they are easy, fuel filter is trickier, do it later.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. You will get lots of good advice here.

rollacorolla

« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2014, 13:53:23 »

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies - it's much more of a response than I had expected. I'm feeling a lot happier about my Omega now, and it's good to know that you guys on OOF are so willing to help.  ;D

I've got all the manuals, paperwork and car pass. I'll jack it up and get all the wheels off to check underneath, give the engine a wipe down, change air and pollen filters. It has the old metal type oil filter so I'll see if I can get that off, change it and do an oil change (does anyone have a part number for that type of oil filter?). I'll have a go at changing the coolant too. Then I'll get in touch with James as recommended for the cam cover gaskets.

Oh yeah and I'll cancel my booking with the Stealers  ;)

Many thanks again. You guys are brilliant  :y

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2014, 13:55:00 »

Any gunk/mayo in the oil filler neck ? Pull the breathers off and see if they are full of the same gunk .

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2014, 14:05:28 »

Service items are cheaply bought genuine... the savings on pattern aren't worth worrying about imho, but always ask for best price. Same goes for oil, VX/Chevrolet often have 4 for 3 offers on, again insist on best price :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2014, 14:06:46 »

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies - it's much more of a response than I had expected. I'm feeling a lot happier about my Omega now, and it's good to know that you guys on OOF are so willing to help.  ;D

I've got all the manuals, paperwork and car pass. I'll jack it up and get all the wheels off to check underneath, give the engine a wipe down, change air and pollen filters. It has the old metal type oil filter so I'll see if I can get that off, change it and do an oil change (does anyone have a part number for that type of oil filter?). I'll have a go at changing the coolant too. Then I'll get in touch with James as recommended for the cam cover gaskets.

Oh yeah and I'll cancel my booking with the Stealers  ;)

Many thanks again. You guys are brilliant  :y

The good old VOF93 - been used on Vauxhalls since Henry VIII ran one.  :y Later V6, the 2.6 and 3.2s (and 2.5/3.0 FLs, as well?) have an inferior cartridge paper jobby that is knownt to break, may people retro-fit the older type filter on theirs.

Get on Autobahnstormers before you spend a penny, and join the Trade Club. Much written about this elsewhere on OOF, shan't repeat. Basically will save you more than the price of joining in the first trip to your Vx dealer in cheaper parts. As you're new to Omega ownership, you'd have plenty of bits to be buying. When you have a list of service items together, worth giving a member called Keith B a message. (he is a head honcho in the ABS, too) as he does cheap Vx service items for the Omega.

Welcome!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2014, 14:41:05 »

... Later V6, the 2.6 and 3.2s (and 2.5/3.0 FLs, as well?)
. and 99 MFL 3.0s

have an inferior cartridge paper jobby that is known to break, many people retro-fit the older type filter on theirs.

Mine never broke in 90k miles worth of oil changes over 10 yrs ...... I put down to people not knowing how to use a 24 mm ring spanner/socket to undo it or have any idea what 25Nm of torque is ....... or maybe how to use a torque wrench. There have been cases here where people have even sheared bolts off when using said torque wrench  :o Did the wrench 'break' or did they not feel it 'break' and carry on swinging off it?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2014, 17:50:24 »

Find out if your local dealer does tradeclub, if so, get a card (ABS forum), and you'll save good money on standard service items.

Obviously we can guide you on when to buy genuine, and when not to.

Opinions will always vary. For example, I thing the later oil filter is better than the earlier type, far less messy to change. Others think opposite.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2014, 18:50:52 »

Hi all,

On Saturday I collected my Omega 3.0 V6 Elite W Reg. It has 69,000 miles on it (maybe a little more as the ABS ECU was out of action for a couple of months before being replaced). All seemed fine when I gave it a once over and took it for a test drive. The previous owner had replaced the cambelt and tensioner (he gave me the receipt and old parts as proof) and said it had just had an oil change.

But... I've now noticed the infamous hot oil smell inside the car when idling. I have looked through the forums and will give the engine a good clean (it's filthy), check the pollen filters, check the coolant hoses (these feel scrunchy, not firm, so will replace). etc. There does seem to be a fair bit of oil on and around the engine which could indicate the cam cover gaskets need replacing.

Also, the coolant sensor warning comes on so I'm planning a coolant flush. I will also change oil, fuel and air filters and the oil (which looks really dirty), but that's about the limit of my mechanical knowledge. I've had a look at the guide to replace the cam cover gaskets and that is beyond my capability. I'm thinking to change the ATF fluid too if that's not too difficult.

Otherwise the car looks good, the interior is fine, it drives fine.

I have e-mailed a Vauxhall agent to ask them if they can give it a once over and give me a report. I would appreciate any advice from other forum members - is there an Omega expert anywhere near High Wycombe who could take a look at it and advise me? Do I have any recourse with the seller - he assured me there was nothing wrong with the car and sold it to me as a trader even though it was his personal car.

Many thanks.

Money down the drain, I'm afraid.....and costly.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2014, 21:56:29 »

Do all VX dealers give Autobahnstormers discount.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.