Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOCKED MYSELF OUT!  (Read 5436 times)

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
LOCKED MYSELF OUT!
« on: 05 December 2015, 18:58:53 »

My ignition key had become awkward to turn, requiring a good amount of jiggling to start the car so I decided today I had better follow the guides and sort it out....which I managed ok. On refitting the barrel in the steering lock housing I accidentally pressed the lock button and locked the doors although the drivers door was still open. As I left to fetch a screwdriver todays high winds blew the door closed and I was locked out with my key in the ignition lock and I have no spare. So now I am locked out of the car. I have now got back in and retrieved my keys by the best method I could think of at the time. However I am wondering if there is a way of getting in I didn't consider that would not have caused any damage. My car is a 2000 V6 ESTATE

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: LOCKED MYSELF OUT!
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2015, 19:11:07 »

There is, but in my view, its not something that should be discussed on an open Forum.

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2015, 19:16:50 »

« Reply #1 on: Today at 19:11:07 »

ReplyQuote
There is, but in my view, its not something that should be discussed on an open Forum.

Could you enlighten me in private then?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2015, 19:20:27 »

« Reply #1 on: Today at 19:11:07 »

ReplyQuote

Could you enlighten me in private then?
But your back in, no?

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2015, 19:27:02 »

Yes I am now but if it happens again I would like to get in without causing damage

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2015, 19:33:19 »

Yes I am now but if it happens again I would like to get in without causing damage
If you manage to lock yourself out again, you deserve to be left on the street. ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2015, 19:39:58 »

Go to the nearest, cheapest place that will cut  a key. What you're asking for won't need an immobiliser chip. Put a marked fob on it, and hang it somewhere safe. Personally, I would ensure that it starts the car, but that will cost you a bit more.

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2015, 19:52:42 »

Am I missing something here? I have asked for help how to get inside my car without the key if I'm locked out. Simple question I thought......seems I'm wrong.
Go to the nearest, cheapest place that will cut  a key.

That is advice I didn't need, I'm not simple and well aware I can do that....but its no help if I'm locked out nowhere near where a spare key is hanging is it!

Ive been a member of this forum for years and posted a simple question for some help....is it so difficult to actually answer the question I asked? I know for certain I am not the first member to ask it .

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2015, 20:11:28 »

Well it is the quickest, easiest way of gaining access that is guaranteed to work and do no damage. Probably cheaper if you don't have any suitable equipment to break in yourself.

If you had rung your breakdown provider, the operative would have had you sign a disclaimer resolving them of any damage, and wouldn't guarantee access either.

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2015, 20:34:13 »

Nick, Even if i had a duplicate key cut i would not carry it around with me everywhere i went...this is the first time ever it has happened so it really is an infrequent event (i hope)   only really happened because i was repairing the ignition lock.

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2015, 20:52:14 »

Nick, Even if i had a duplicate key cut i would not carry it around with me everywhere i went...this is the first time ever it has happened so it really is an infrequent event (i hope)   only really happened because i was repairing the ignition lock.
In which case, your question is still moot ::)

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2015, 20:58:19 »

Indeed it is...just thankfull I didn't wait, get a taxi home and rely on getting help here to get in as there has been none. So much for helping each other out and that's what i was under the impression it was all about....still you live and learn.

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2015, 21:06:49 »

As I recall, everyone who has ever asked the question has been given the same response...

If you can't understand why then that's reason enough for the advice you have been given...

If you only have one key, then getting a second one cut is sound advice. Had you stopped to consider this detail before you started on the ignition barrel then you wouldn't have been in your predicament in the first place... ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2015, 21:17:34 »

Years ago they used to sell a magnetic "box",the idea being you put a spare key in it and then "stuck" it somewhere-wheel arch or whatever-for such a circumstance.Don't know how effective/reliable these were,but would a similar idea not be possible?Other than that if you're out and about and lock yourself out of the car surely you'd need to be carrying anything suggested to open the car without damage,so why not a spare key?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2015, 21:23:49 »

OK, here is the helpful advice. Modern cars are very difficult(impossible in some cases) to open without a key even if you have a box of tools meant for the job - which I do. This is by design! The doors fit tightly, the lock mechanisms are shielded, deadlocks are common and if all the windows are electric you can't wind them down manually. All these things apply to Omegas, and so they are tricky.

Opening the car with a key is your best option. Which brings us back to having a spare that isn't in the car! Then your options revolve around getting the spare which is easier than moving a locked and otherwise immobile car. I did this for a customer who had locked their baby in the car; he had the idea of ringing his mother, but my suggestion of leaving her to watch the kid while I ran him home and collected the spare from his house half a mile away meant that the problem was solved quicker than any other way I know besides breaking a window. In 12 years of recovery work, I have never done that,and only had one job where the customer decided he was going to do it. Personally I think getting a replacement key cut from the VIN is a better route and is probably cheaper. I have met people stupid enough to carry their spare key on the same keyring.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2015, 21:27:41 »

I used the RAC to get me in when we locked both keys in the car when on holiday. As said here I signed away any responsibility for damage.

Took them 10 minutes and no damage, but they had the tools and I had nothing.

Steve
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2015, 21:27:58 »

I keep a spare key at home, obviously. But if I go to Liverpool to visit, or on holiday, the spare key goes with me. A spare key is only useful if you can get to it.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2015, 21:28:25 »

OK, here is the helpful advice. Modern cars are very difficult(impossible in some cases) to open without a key even if you have a box of tools meant for the job - which I do. This is by design! The doors fit tightly, the lock mechanisms are shielded, deadlocks are common and if all the windows are electric you can't wind them down manually.  ...

Green Flag spent an hour & a half trying to get into my daughter's Fiat Siecento when she'd locked the only key inside it by using wedges in the top of the door. Eventually he changed tact and removed a rear quarter light.

About a month later when she thought she'd done the same thing, I was inside within about 90 seconds after I'd made something to open the door from the inside.  ;)
« Last Edit: 05 December 2015, 21:33:48 by Andy B »

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2015, 21:37:14 »

Nick W ...thank you for a sensible reply. I was only asking if there was a way in without my causing damage, I was at my garage about 5 miles from home, i had plenty of tools available and i got in the car myself but not without causing some damage...not visible however. If the reply here was it cant be done i would have left it at that....however the first reply to my question suggested it was possible but it was unwise to tell me publicly.

Posted by: Harris K Telemacher
« on: Today at 21:06:49 »
Insert QuoteAs I recall, everyone who has ever asked the question has been given the same response...

If you can't understand why then that's reason enough for the advice you have been given...

Yes I can understand why which is why i asked for a private reply! Seem to think this has happened in the past when others have had the same query. I assume those of you who know how its done (if there is a way) have been told by someone else and not worked it out yourselves?

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2015, 21:48:19 »

The highlight button works then... ::)

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2015, 21:49:23 »

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2015, 21:58:46 »

The highlight button works then.

It works a lot better than replies to the question i asked do don't you think!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2015, 23:46:17 »

Just a thought... Most people look towards post count as the first guide as to roughly how long someone has been a member. As you know, not a true judge, but a rough guide. Perhaps your low post count caused some inner turmoil in whether to share how to break into our cars :-\

Anyway... Yes, it can be done. No, I don't know how. I have a spare key and, additionally, the full lock out kit having been in the recovery industry. Having been in the industry I can also tell you how to do it with the least cost (damage wise) but wouldn't do it publicly.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2015, 00:27:22 »

I use to sell the lock out kits when i sold tools and garage equipment,and as you have stated it is not a thing to be discussed  ( how to ) on an open forum,,,surely to god that if someone locks their selves out of their car and manages to get in ,,wouldnt you  then do the sensible thing and get a 2nd key cut,,even if you left it at home while you did short shopping journeys and just round and about,,if you locked yourself out again then at least you could grab a cab home to get the key....if you do longer journeys or go on holiday then you take it with you,,,,other wise if you dont then you just get what you deserve for being plain lazy....

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 December 2015, 02:04:26 »

unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) google has no such scruples.  plenty of text and videos too.  even saw it being done on tv the other night or at least the method of getting a suitable tool (with minimum modification required) from somewhere and something that would ALWAYS be available to the person locked out.

i keep a spare key hidden on the car somewhere that can be accessed with minimal damage and slight effort. if you know where. 

T.m.f

• 4wd
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 December 2015, 09:41:46 »

Tip for you.

When working on a car always leave drivers window open.
1996 300tdi manual discovery,the weekend mud toy and tin tent tower

The devil child ,aka mk2 2006 1.6 tdci focus

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 December 2015, 14:34:23 »

Tip for you.

Or getting a spare key? :D

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 06 December 2015, 14:37:26 »

Tip for you.

What? Like terry did?  ::)

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 December 2015, 19:13:32 »

Thank you to Lazydocker, Flyer0712 and Migmog for your constructive replies rather than the posters of the unhelpful comments I received earlier.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 December 2015, 17:58:58 »

Pardon me if this seems to be stating the ble****g obvious, but if these 'lock out kits' are readily available to the trade, then perhaps it is just possible that nefarious types might already have the information required which would allow them access to our extremely desirable Omegas.  :-\ :-\ :-\

STEMO

« Reply #30 on: 09 December 2015, 18:13:09 »

Pardon me if this seems to be stating the ble****g obvious, but if these 'lock out kits' are readily available to the trade, then perhaps it is just possible that nefarious types might already have the information required which would allow them access to our extremely desirable Omegas.  :-\ :-\ :-\
Calm down, Chris, no self respecting nefarious type would pinch an omega.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 December 2015, 18:37:55 »

Calm down, Chris, no self respecting nefarious type would pinch an omega.

True, but what about the non self respecting types? ::) ::) ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 December 2015, 18:37:58 »

The instructions in mine for opening a facelift Omega sugest using tool8(which is a long U-shaped rod with a finger on the end)poked down the window rubber, under the window, back up through the internal window rubber and then using the finger to pop the the lock button up. Yes, it is that simple! But then so is nailing a jelly to the ceiling with a sledgehammer.

Whether it works or not(i don't rate your chances), you still have to get the bloody tool out somehow.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 December 2015, 18:39:30 »

The instructions in mine for opening a facelift Omega sugest using tool8(which is a long U-shaped rod with a finger on the end)poked down the window rubber, under the window, back up through the internal window rubber and then using the finger to pop the the lock button up. Yes, it is that simple! But then so is nailing a jelly to the ceiling with a sledgehammer.

Whether it works or not(i don't rate your chances), you still have to get the bloody tool out somehow.

;D ;D ;D

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 09 December 2015, 18:40:13 »

If you're just going to pop the button, surely through the top of the door would be easier.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 December 2015, 18:50:08 »

If you're just going to pop the button, surely through the top of the door would be easier.

Slightly. But you still have to find someway of actually snagging the button to discover that pulling it doesn't work. At least a tool in the top of the door is easy to remove.

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 09 December 2015, 18:53:30 »

Most doors don't even have a button now. Mine has, but it sits flush with the trim, so only good for locking, not unlocking.

Thinks: so what's it there for?  :-\

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 December 2015, 19:54:02 »

I think that the criticism of 'unhelpful replies' is unwarranted.  The info, even tough it available elsewhere, does not merit it being posted freely on a public facing enthusiast forum.  Such subjects always cause friction, for obvious reasons, and always get a frosty reception.

All that said i am thinking of making a hacking tool for cars based on the info posted online a few months ago.  It would be for demo purposes and my own curiosity as a white hat.  Of course i would bring it to next year's newent or other meets.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 December 2015, 21:31:38 »

Without checking mine, memory says the same if I remember right. Never, ever have I managed to use that tool with success! Galaxy/Alhambra were alway really awkward until I worked out a very simple way!

I think that the criticism of 'unhelpful replies' is unwarranted.  The info, even tough it available elsewhere, does not merit it being posted freely on a public facing enthusiast forum.  Such subjects always cause friction, for obvious reasons, and always get a frosty reception.

All that said i am thinking of making a hacking tool for cars based on the info posted online a few months ago.  It would be for demo purposes and my own curiosity as a white hat.  Of course i would bring it to next year's newent or other meets.

That could be fun... :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 December 2015, 09:54:07 »

Much easier to have a spare key :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.