Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Air-con removal  (Read 4781 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Air-con removal
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2006, 21:14:40 »

You have to remember that an MV6 is also lowered 30mm....

Sideways

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2006, 08:44:17 »

Judging by what the Mv6 we have been stripping was like when we had finished, you will probably find it sits quite high if you remove any significant amount of weight....

Mark, what is it you have done to the MV6? How stripped is it. What have you done with the wiring loom, just stripped it back or created a new one?

I'd love to hear some details.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2006, 08:58:03 »

We have broken it for spares so it is a non runner and only has the engine block left in it plus carpets looms etc.....but its surprising how much higher its sitting now....

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2006, 09:07:01 »

I have to ask the question here.

Why are you stripping out an Omega?
It really is not a car that you use for fast road/track stuff.

Even with all the excess weight removed and minor improvements like removing the air con (not worth it at all in my opinion) you are not going to see any great improvements as the gearing is not set up for this use.

The Omega is a cruiser (and a fast one).

If you want hooligan type fun, go get a manual Carlton GSi 24v or a manual 24v Senator. :D
There is a manual 24v Senator on eBay right now. I think he wants around £600, which for what it has, is a good buy.

The Administrator.

Sideways

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2006, 09:26:30 »

That is a very good point which I have deliberated on for many hours, days, weeks and months. "Why am I stripping out an executive (as it's the elite) cruiser"?

My reasoning (whether sound or severely misguided) was this:

I had to change the exhaust some time ago and thought if I am going to change it I may as well get a decent one and ended up getting a beautiful custom made job that cost a mint.

I then made a few more alterations here and there (suspension etc) and the car was slowly transforming itself into a "modified" car. The car then lay dormant for about 12 months as I was just using my other car and motorbikes as the cost of running the Omega was too high. I did not want to sell the car as the exhaust was worth more then the car but wanted to make some use out of it so I decided to just use it for track use and then couldn't resist playing about with everything. One thing led to another and I know have a shell.

I know it seems daft but I thought "well nobody else has done it". I have a chequered history of modifying the unmodifiable, somewhat erroneously.

It may turn out to be a big mistake, we'll see.

Do I take it this car tomfoolery is not well received?

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2006, 09:41:54 »

Quote: Do I take it this car tomfoolery is not well received?

More likely bemused interest, or jealousy cos we arnt allowed to 'mess' with the car too much.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2006, 13:34:44 »

Quote: Do I take it this car tomfoolery is not well received?

More likely bemused interest, or jealousy cos we arnt allowed to 'mess' with the car too much.

Exactly as Pete says!  ;D

Never a case of not well received, I apologise if I gave that impression.
The Administrator.

Sideways

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 August 2006, 18:56:33 »

Hi guys

Well I've removed the condenser and associated pipe work up to the air-con pump. On the pump I've removed three torx bolts (upper right, upper left and lower left as you look at them) and am wondering if there is anything else to remove before the pump comes off.

I can't see any help in the Haynes so any advice is much appreciated.

I'm gonna call it a day for today but will tackle it afresh tomorrow.

FYI Terry, that Aux belt you gave me fits perfectly missing out the Air -Com pump.

Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Enjoy the bank holiday all.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 August 2006, 19:12:38 »

There are two bolts at the back of the compressor as well as the three at the front. Also the plug below it for the clutch.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 August 2006, 21:42:43 »

Have you unbolted the pipes from the top of the pump? Undo the plastic bracket which fastens the pipes to the block, just below the pump. Should then be able to push the pipes rearwards to get better access to the 2 or 3 bolts at the back of the pump.
Once the pump is loose then rotate it anticlockwise to clear the brackets and ease it out.

Tezray

• Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 August 2006, 21:48:55 »

Hi guys

Well I've removed the condenser and associated pipe work up to the air-con pump. On the pump I've removed three torx bolts (upper right, upper left and lower left as you look at them) and am wondering if there is anything else to remove before the pump comes off.

I can't see any help in the Haynes so any advice is much appreciated.

I'm gonna call it a day for today but will tackle it afresh tomorrow.

FYI Terry, that Aux belt you gave me fits perfectly missing out the Air -Com pump.

Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Enjoy the bank holiday all.
Glad the belt fits  :)

Sounds like you're making some good progress too....If you want to be around for when i first fire mine up it should be late sunday afternoon....Weather or not she'll even start though is another matter!

Sideways

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 August 2006, 11:12:36 »

Have you unbolted the pipes from the top of the pump? Undo the plastic bracket which fastens the pipes to the block, just below the pump. Should then be able to push the pipes rearwards to get better access to the 2 or 3 bolts at the back of the pump.
Once the pump is loose then rotate it anticlockwise to clear the brackets and ease it out.

Sounds good.

Do you know where the bolts are on the back of the pump? Access is very limited and it's all covered in old oil (there is a leak somewhere).

Once I've removed the bolts, any suggestions on how to rotate it anticlockwise. BTW, do you mean anticlockwise as you look at it from the front or the back.

Cheers guys.

Sideways

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 August 2006, 11:25:16 »

Actually, a couple of other questions while I think of it.

i) When I drained the coolant it had a sort of rust colour to it. Should I be worried by this?

ii) As I said in the last post there is an oil leak coming from somewhere but its all so dirty I can't see the source. I've tried to get it steam cleaned but there isn't anyone near me (Bristol)n that can do it.

Does anyone know of any good products for cleaning the engine bay?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 August 2006, 12:13:36 »

Coolant should not be rust coloured!  :(

Flush out thoroughly and then refill with 50/50 mix.
Run for a couple of weeks then flush again and refill with 50/50.

Oil leak is most likely the rocker cover gaskets (pull a plug lead. Dry is good. Oily is gasket gone.

I would recommend Gunk to remove dirt then VERY careful use of a jet wash.
I really would not recommend steam cleaning. It is effective, but also can play havoc with sensors.

The Administrator.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 August 2006, 12:19:32 »

Do you know where the bolts are on the back of the pump? Access is very limited and it's all covered in old oil (there is a leak somewhere).
From below facing towards the front of the car you can get to them with an extension on your socket, need a reasonably long one. The bolts are one above the other on the engine side of the compressor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.