Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help request  (Read 4076 times)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
Help request
« on: 13 February 2007, 11:49:25 »

Hi all. Mods& Admin, please forgive me if this is not completely in line with the rules....  

right....   my mini facelift meega elite estate  has a number of outstanding issues that need rectifying.....

Keen as I am on the DIY ethos, and I'm even technically competent, sadly, and painfully,  I have a spinal/neuro-muscular condition that pretty effectively rules out the idea of Me actually DOING the DIY these days (long term result of a Smash back in 89)....    which is a shame... i used to enjoy rebuilding engines and preparing Rally cars and such like....

it also usually means it's expensive as I have to pay Vx dealers or local garage rates for pretty much everything....

However.....    money is not currently grown on trees in our garden.....  

Not having been a member for all that long, and not having personally met any of you guys ( that i know of ) i wouldn't expect anyone to jump up and down in a rush to do it all for me for nothing... altruism is fine and dandy as and when it occurs, but even if it did,  i'd feel much better if i pay my way , as it were.

So... would any of the experienced chaps here feel like having a bash at the following, in return for folding paper real money... ??

1) Cam belt and Water pump change
2) Primary engine radiator cooling fan replacement ( i have  a complete spare rad assembly, aux pump, fan and housing etc... )
3) Auto box Fluid and filter change.
4) it has a persistent coolant leak....   I've already had the HBV changed, and changed the lid of the Expansion tank,  and i can;t see any obvious answers...    bearing in mind that i can;t easily go crawling around underneath it...  
5) HID levelling fault....   I have one spare sensor...  but need to identify which one is faulty and replace , or whether it's the HID levelling control unit.. MOT due in March.... so it's kind of becoming urgent
6) Handbrake shoes need replacing i think....

there's a few other piddly jobs...  which I'm confident i CAN manage.... , like changing the stuck snow mode switch on the autobox.... replacing the instrument cluster, possibly the external ambient temperature sensor...  

Now then....    getting this lot sorted at a dealer's or our local garage could easily set me back something like a grand. just for the labour....

which bluntly put, i don't have spare right now.....

however, I'd be happy to negotiate something mutually acceptable , involving cash money, or alternative services rendered (anyone in need of audio engineering, instrument repair, acoustic engineering , Mac Support, Studio wiring and technologies consultancy etc....   I'm perfectly happy to barter my services...  however, they are, fairly rarely required by most people....  with the possible exception of soundproofing  techniques..  )

obviously I'd cover all the parts and consumables costs....

so any takers???

i am more or less in Oxford, but prepared to travel a bit...

ADMIN : Please feel free to move or delete this if deemed inappropriate.... no offence would be taken.

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Help request
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2007, 12:07:12 »

not sure when your belt is due, but i can forsee a cambelt party once weather is a bit better....
Grumpy old man

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2007, 12:43:47 »

not sure when your belt is due, but i can forsee a cambelt party once weather is a bit better....
If this happens then I'll gladly come along & get in the way, err play with my phone.
Seriously, I'm not great with the spanners but will help in anyway I can even if it's just moral support or passing tools, running around (figuratively speaking) etc.......
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

cornishtaz

• Lyneham, Wilts SN15 4DZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2007, 13:21:16 »

I'm only in Carterton(RAF Brize Norton), I've got the trusty old Haynes manual and a selection of tools so if a few of us can get together I'm willing to help with some of the probs you've got.

Do you have a garage so we can get out of the weather?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2007, 13:26:17 »

For the cambelt, get the DVD (£3), and on v6, the timing/locking kit is essential.
Grumpy old man

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2007, 13:48:36 »

typical....

just popped to the post office, before heading down to Heathrow to pick up some bits... and clouds of steam erupt from the engine bay at the post office.

it would appear my coolant leak is no longer steady slow... but larger, and on the right had side of the engine, low down... as you look at the car from the front...  and I'm not risking any further damage driving it  till that's fixed...

So I will have to take my daughter's little 106 to Heathrow and back....

o happy happy joy joy  NOT.

So MY Car booked in to TJ Hall & sons over the road from me in Sandfod to get that sorted/... on thursday...

As to garage

yes... sort of....

We have an enclosed  driveway behind the garden, with a garage on one end of it... however the Garage has been part way converted to an office space...   and the bit that hasn't is full of crap waiting completion of a new storage shed in the garden...  so the Gardening stuff, and freezer etc can be relocated....
By the end of Next week or so, we ought to be able to at least get the front of the car in the garage to work on the engine...   but there's no ramps or pit or any fancy malarky like that to make the gearbox accessible etc etc....

the drive way itself  is enclosed either side by 6-8 ft fencing... BUT is a long way from being level.....  sloping down away from the garage towards the road...  dropping several feet over perhaps 15 metres in length or so...  

I guess it might be practicable to come up with some arrangement of tarpaulins etc along with the end section of the Garage to provide us with working space.

With that in mind... if it could be so arranged.... I would be happy to host a Cam belt BBQ party if it was useful to others.....  although there is only room for one car to be in there and being worked on at a time...  

right I'm off to las-jacarandas for some bits...

in a bloody peugeot 106 independence....

ARRGGHHHHH\]

ta chaps.....    

Max

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2007, 14:21:24 »

I would be happy to help if I can fit it into my current hectic schedule.....

Cambelt, water pump and rad fan....about 2 hours if it goes ok....

Auto box fluid change.....1 hour tops....

Handbrake etc.....1-2hours.....

So its a good days work!

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2007, 15:33:59 »

I would be happy to help if I can fit it into my current hectic schedule.....

Cambelt, water pump and rad fan....about 2 hours if it goes ok....

Auto box fluid change.....1 hour tops....

Handbrake etc.....1-2hours.....

So its a good days work!
By the Gods - this man works fast  :o
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

cornishtaz

• Lyneham, Wilts SN15 4DZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2007, 16:05:24 »

MaxV6 can you confirm were you are,

I've got ramps, jacks axle stands etc..... Even if I come along just to learn

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2007, 18:39:23 »

Hiya Taz..

I'm in Sandford on Thames....    (near ish to Sainsbury's on the Southern Ring road) ... I'd be more than happy to make your acquaintance.

Mark....   I dunno what to say....  PM will be along shortly......   as I'm not sure how best to sort all this out, but I'm sure I could make it worth finding an 8th day in the week somehow or other....   :y

TB, the last Change was at 82000 , and it's now on about 116000, ( BUT looking in the records, I have a  horrid feeling it was not the full kit, as the price is a bit on the low side (£37 for the cam belt )

AFAIK the water pump has never been changed....

Last full service was about 4000-5000 miles ago....  

it's hopeful that the coolant leak issue will be sorted this week by the Garage over the road (with luck... hopefully not too expensively since it should be easy to find now....  )

I suspect a visit to TB to check all the Tech2 stuff afterwards, might be in order....

we have a large Gas BBQ.....   and i know how to use it....

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2007, 14:23:41 »

At that price, it sounds like a simple belt change to me.  To be honest, I would not drive it until you get this sorted.  As you mention, it would be as well to do the water pump as well.

I would be happy to assist - I live near Heathrow and Oxford is not that far - plus it would give the megga a bit of a run!  I am nowhere near as clued up as the likes of Marks DTM or The Boy etc. but I do all the work on my Transit Vans and a bit on my cars.

If you require any additional help, give me a shout.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2007, 14:24:40 by x25xe »
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2007, 14:46:33 »

I'm happy to help at the next cambelt party, and I need to do the same thing with my HID's.  If you need something more urgently PM me, others may be better but only Tunnie outdoes me as a slacker so I can usually make time ;) ;D
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2007, 14:51:14 »

It might start looking like we could have a Meega party and master class on our hands.....  

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1171040971/34#34

it would be nice if we could get one sorted in the not very distant future...  ideally i'd really like others to benefit from it as well... and I'm up for hosting something of an event... as long as we can work out the practicalities sufficiently.

With relation to the Water issues... damn right I'm not driving it till fixed....it's booked in to the local garage for tomorrow morning

the Cambelt and other issues are less urgently critical perhaps, but ultimately more problematic and potentially catastrophic... .

it's a sad reality that I generally need to use the Omega 5 days a week....   between work and school runs

or i'd leave it till perfect....

as it is, the Sintra is also laid up awaiting new front brakes, and springs + Shocks all round...(yes the dreaded self levelling ones.... )   the end of 2006 was financial nightmare for us....   We moved house in October, and everything spiralled out of control in terms of costs and investment of time and money.,..
Now the cars both (not including the Pug 106 of my daughter's.,...  it's too small to count ;) ) need work... and I'm still labouring under a debt mountain from the move....

So prioritising is a necessity....   I need the Omega first... then I'll sort the Sintra out as and when practicable... .....  our new house is just under 2 miles from the Wife's work place... so cycling/bus/taxi/walk is all available to her and so the Sintra is able to have the time out......  

we'll have to wait and  see who's available when, and how many can practically benefit from some sort of event in the near future....

Max

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2007, 14:57:41 »

I would be willing to help.  I have an array of torx tools, torque wrench, axle stands, haynes manual etc ,etc.

I am slowly learning the meega and this would be a good learning experience for me.  Have done a fair bit on other cars, 405, veccy, 214

I am down the road in Tidworth.  I am hoping to acquire a cam belt locking kit on loan as I have to do my own, if I do that'll help.  I also have some access to a pit in Tidworth for the gearbox.

BBQ sounds like a good idea  :D

Give us a shout if you're interested.

Gaffers

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2007, 15:23:56 »

Hi Gaffers

Tidworth "down the road"??

Am I being daft or isn't that like about 60 miles ???  it's easy 80Km as the crow flies....

But hell , the more the merrier...  

I'll defo get the BBQ sorted out for this event....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.