Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!! FLAT BATTERY!!  (Read 4194 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! FLAT BATTERY!!
« Reply #15 on: 08 December 2007, 11:50:11 »

If you aren't using a car for a while, it's a good idea to trickle charge the battery to stop it going flat.

Halfrauds do trickle chargers that are like a little mains adaptor and pretty cheap.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 December 2007, 12:50:01 »

My battery seems to be an original, sealed type no topping up. Been on the car since new I think now over 7 years old.
The battery on the last car I owned (Nissan) was original and 7 years old before it gave up. That just went all of a sudden, one very cold winters day.

Mick

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 December 2007, 12:55:51 »

Solar panels are good too, plug into the lighter and go....   Only thing is, my Omega Elite's lighter sockets go to 0v when ignition key removed....  so, no constant supply for ancillaries etc,  I've put a spare lighter socket in the boot with a constant 12v, ideal for charging camera batteries out of sight...

DC
Do it right, do it once................

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 December 2007, 13:39:35 »

...My cousin had one explode! Made a right mess...

Yep, happened to me as well,back in 1982... a 3-years old battery exploded when I started the car (it was an Alfasud with the original battery). The base of the battery was intact as was the first inch of the sidewalls, but everything else has disintegrated... problem was that even after cleaning the mess and hosing it down, there was permanent acid damage to the paintwork in the engine bay and inside bonnet.

« Last Edit: 08 December 2007, 13:40:31 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 December 2007, 14:13:30 »

.. and a dousing in acid's probably the last thing an Alfasud needed!  :-X

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 December 2007, 15:38:16 »

.. and a dousing in acid's probably the last thing an Alfasud needed!  :-X

Kevin

I wrote it off a couple of months later...  :(

But interestingly, when the panels fell off in the crash, there was already rust evident in the joints... and the car was actually less than 3 years old at the time.

Alas, no more Omegas....

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 December 2007, 16:04:21 »

well guys, i got the car running with a power pack so there must have been more than 10 volts at the battery otherwise my pack doesn't work. Run the car for 15 mins. Just tried it which is 4 hours later and fired straight up so now going to trickle charge it over night to see if it is ok. Need the car for Monday cause i have got to go to  funeral in Salisbury, so 200 mile round trip. What battery type does this car have because i have spoken to several motor factors today that state different types. From an 065, 067, to an 075 which seems to be the most popular right up to a 017 or 019!! Which is the standard size for the 3.0 l MV6??
1999 Omega 3.0 MV6 Saloon Manual, 2001 Volvo V70 T5 Manual, 1996 Mitsubishi Delica L400 Jasper 4x4

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 December 2007, 17:06:29 »

Vx 'Go' branded after-market battery from Vx dealers is best for quality and price... and 3y warranty  :y
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 December 2007, 17:14:16 »

Vx 'Go' branded after-market battery from Vx dealers is best for quality and price... and 3y warranty  :y

and they cost around £30-£40
Alas, no more Omegas....

kbou55

• Tipperary, Ireland.
  • Peace, Through Superior Firepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 December 2007, 03:21:44 »

well guys, i got the car running with a power pack so there must have been more than 10 volts at the battery otherwise my pack doesn't work. Run the car for 15 mins. Just tried it which is 4 hours later and fired straight up so now going to trickle charge it over night to see if it is ok. Need the car for Monday cause i have got to go to  funeral in Salisbury, so 200 mile round trip. What battery type does this car have because i have spoken to several motor factors today that state different types. From an 065, 067, to an 075 which seems to be the most popular right up to a 017 or 019!! Which is the standard size for the 3.0 l MV6??

i always go for a Varta battery, ive had one in the vectra for 5 years and not so much as a groan out of it, i got one with a higher amper hour than the standard rating for a bit more crank in the cold. i know they're dear but i think its worth it.
2002 Vectra 2.2 DTI Elite (for work)
2000 Zafira 1.8 Elegance (for the wife and kids)
2000 Honda Pan European ST1100 (for play)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 December 2007, 10:51:45 »

I knew I should not have read this thread  ;) Went to pop out last night and guess what battery absolutley flat , called AA oh someone will be with you in about 2 hours  :o
 Then  I had a cunning plan use the battery from the caravan to jump start the car, this worked ok probably wont do the lesuire battery much good but at least got the car going. So phoned AA back and cancelled the call .
 Question is does any one know if you can use trade cards on batteries at vx or halfords  :question

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 December 2007, 12:48:27 »

I knew I should not have read this thread  ;) Went to pop out last night and guess what battery absolutley flat , called AA oh someone will be with you in about 2 hours  :o
 Then  I had a cunning plan use the battery from the caravan to jump start the car, this worked ok probably wont do the lesuire battery much good but at least got the car going. So phoned AA back and cancelled the call .
 Question is does any one know if you can use trade cards on batteries at vx or halfords  :question

Yes.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 December 2007, 14:40:44 »

Vx trade card at Vx, and Halfords trade card at Halfords.  I have both if you need.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 December 2007, 14:42:15 »

First bout of sustained freezing weather, so many old batteries failing.

My MV6 has been giving me warnings about its poor battery for months, so defo not sudden IME
Grumpy old man

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 December 2007, 14:02:16 »

The battery in mine looks fairly recent but there is no reciept amongst the paperwork so not much I can do there  :'( I did check the battery a while back and found a couple of cells very low on water, the battery was not causing any problems but my journey to work is very short about a mile.
But with everything on in this cold weather it is just asking for trouble . I was told that every time a car starts it takes about seven miles to put that charge back in to the battery , not sure how true this is but it does not seem unreasonable.  
 Checked battery price at halfords yesterday a HB010 MAINT FREE with three year warranty is
£94.99   :o with the trade card it comes down to £56  :) so thats a fair old saving The HB010
is the battery for a car with aircon by the way,I have not tried vx yet for a price  
 I gave the car a good run yesterday down to Essex to swmbo and it appears to be ok for now.
The alternator was given output of 14Von load so that appears to be ok  :-X May be a good idea to run the car for a short detour to work just to keep the battery happy  
« Last Edit: 17 December 2007, 14:07:42 by LFF64 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.