Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2ltr V6 Omega Cambelt Change Intervals, Written Details Needed!  (Read 3595 times)

shaunb51

• South Wales
    • Cavalier Dip/Volvo 940
    • View Profile

OK, I know this has been asked before but, I've fot conflicting information of searches.  What I need some sort of Documentery evidence to back it up ASAP, as I'm looking to purchase the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110785233653?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've spoke to the seller regarding the history and they have stated:

"Yes its ex police, Full service history, cam belt changed twice, last at 108,000 with major service then two more major services since."

The problem I have is I have found information saying the cambelt is 40k/4yrs and othe saying 80k/8yrs.

It's an '03 model and need something copied (scanned) from the handbook or a brochure (if someone has one), so I have some deffinate proof to argue with the seller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Shaun.
Are you a Disabled Driver in South Wales, needing adaptions/modifications to drive or get into your vehicle?

Then look no further, speak to: http://www.citymotorservices.co.uk/contact.htm

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2ltr V6 Omega Cambelt Change Intervals, Written Details Needed!
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2011, 01:19:57 »

OK, I know this has been asked before but, I've fot conflicting information of searches.  What I need some sort of Documentery evidence to back it up ASAP, as I'm looking to purchase the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110785233653?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've spoke to the seller regarding the history and they have stated:

"Yes its ex police, Full service history, cam belt changed twice, last at 108,000 with major service then two more major services since."

The problem I have is I have found information saying the cambelt is 40k/4yrs and othe saying 80k/8yrs.

It's an '03 model and need something copied (scanned) from the handbook or a brochure (if someone has one), so I have some deffinate proof to argue with the seller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Shaun.

Can't lay my hands on proof at the moment but it was originally 80K but then reduced to 40K in a later supplement to handbook. I may be wrong but I think it was reduced to 40K because of the tensioners letting go rather than the belt itself. Definately 40K for V6 though.  :y

Link may be of use to you.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90441.0

EDIT: Looking at link it looks like I was nearly right.  :)  40K on early models, upped to 80K on later models and then hurriedly reduced back to 40K for all. Anyway, end result is definately 40K.  :y

Regards
Alan
« Last Edit: 08 December 2011, 01:24:02 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2011, 01:24:08 »

Its 40K mate - at the end of the day whether its 40K or 80K it'll need doing in 10K on that motor  :(
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

albitz

« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2011, 01:26:19 »

Not just 40k,but 40k or 4 years,whichever comes first. :y

Omega_Dan

« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2011, 01:32:49 »

Looks Tidy for an Ex Police car :y

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2011, 01:40:45 »

40k or 4 years.

Not sure you'll find official confirmation as the interval was reduced from 80k/8years after manufacture due to tensioner failure.

Send him a link to this page? Perhaps? 

shaunb51

• South Wales
    • Cavalier Dip/Volvo 940
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2011, 01:48:23 »

Thanks for the reply fokls, I haven't been on here long, so your help for a new member is appriciated.

As has been said "Looks Tidy for an Ex Police car", I felt from the outset it was an Ex-Police vehicle and as it has been through a 2nd owner, it doesn't need to be stated however, when I asked the seller, they gave me the info ", right off the bat.

Something tells me it wasn't as Motorway Vehiche" but, an "accident investigators car" I guess due to it's age and mileage.  Either way it's not a problem, if I bought it, it would be to replace our existing Volvo 940 Estate and between that and our other car, we only do 7/9k per year, so it not really a problem.

What I need is some form of doucmentery evidence I can show to them, regarding the belt change as, it's close to me and the Company I use to fit my controls, needed for me to drive it.

I have a feeling, IF I can prove the belt change requirement, they "MAYBE", willing to give on the price especially, as it has such a short MOT.

Are you a Disabled Driver in South Wales, needing adaptions/modifications to drive or get into your vehicle?

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2011, 02:44:14 »

If it was a Thames Valley car then history will be good, also looks like someone has spent a bit of time and money on it: wheels and interior. :y If it was an accident investigation car, then the roof will have had work, at the very least a plate and filler :y.

This I know for a fact, as that is what my car was used for before I made it actually work for a living. ::)

Double check the coolant too. In the pics it looks like someones put blue in it, should be pink :y
« Last Edit: 08 December 2011, 02:47:51 by taxi al »

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2011, 08:37:43 »

had a scout around and it seems that the cam belt changing intervals was only a recomendation not actually made offical by vauxhall, so i dont think you will get written documentation

I e-mailed Vauxhall (via Vauxhall website) last night. Got a call back today. They said that all cam belts should be changed at 40k. When I questioned this he said this was a recommendation only and that if my vehicle handbook says 80k then that remains the official (& "legal") mileage for change in order to satisfy the requirements for the Warranty. (My warranty covers consequential damage if the cam belt breaks).

a call to vauxhall Customer Assistance Centre (number on vauxhall's offical website) will confirm that they do recommend a 40k/4 year interval  :y  think this is the way to go whilst with the dealer  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2011, 09:26:53 »

I would think there'd be an article in TIS confirming the interval if it changed. Whether it can be found is another matter, but I'll have a look later. Will also check my owner's manual.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2011, 10:34:53 »

Although we all know it's 4 years/40K, I have just looked in my 'Service Booklet' that came with my 3.2.

It clearly states:
Toothed belt and tensioning pulley 'replace           Every 4 years or 40,000 miles/60,000 km

Hope that helps. :y

Regards
Alan
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2011, 10:40:02 »

I can't find anything in TIS directly .. but have found this in Autodata ..  clearly shows that from MY 97 onwards it is 4 yrs or 40,000 miles. Hope that helps

:)

« Last Edit: 08 December 2011, 10:44:13 by Entwood »

albitz

« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2011, 12:02:10 »

Haynes manual also states timing belt service interval - 40k or 4 years, whichever comes first.

shaunb51

• South Wales
    • Cavalier Dip/Volvo 940
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2011, 23:03:09 »

Thanks for the info folks.

I didn't get around to calling Vauxhall today, due to the need to do Xmas shopping (it was 1 of only many call I have to make).

"Entwood"

Thanks for your post, this is something I can send the seller to prove my point.

"fiend61"

Again thanks, I will contact them tomorrow.

If it was a Thames Valley car then history will be good, also looks like someone has spent a bit of time and money on it: wheels and interior. :y If it was an accident investigation car, then the roof will have had work, at the very least a plate and filler :y.

This I know for a fact, as that is what my car was used for before I made it actually work for a living. ::)

Double check the coolant too. In the pics it looks like someones put blue in it, should be pink :y

What does the difference in the coolant colour mean?

I imported an MPV from Japan a remember there was blue or red coolant additives but, IF you bought one with the red, then the system had to be fully flushed (running clear) as, you could not mix the red and blue due to a chemical reaction between them.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2011, 23:18:41 by shaunb51 »

shaunb51

• South Wales
    • Cavalier Dip/Volvo 940
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2011, 01:26:49 »

Well I that you folks for the imput but, I will not be buying the car.  I had a message off the Seller today:

"Shaun, you havent sent your deposit as you said you would, we have the other chap travelling up for the car on Saturday morning. With regard to any cam belt change and road tax these are issues for the buyer, not the seller and we wont reduce the asking price of the vehicle on these points.

- cars-well"

First off, I had said nothing about a deposit, the last message I sent them was:

"Dear cars-well,

Hi

Is there any chance you can provide my an outside e-mail addy?

The reason I ask is, is have proof the Cambelt change is 40k not 70k.

This can be seen below, if Ebay allows the link:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=1212570;topic=96729.0;last_msg=1212901

Cheers

Shaun."

There is also one which I sent them but, didn't save stated:

"white one is back in play, if the cambelt issue could be sorted or we could come to some agreement on price"

My question is, am I being too agressive on the value, given it needing an MOT/Belt change?

I need to know this as I'm after a 3.0/3.2ltr top end Estate (must be auto) and I have seen many with history but, long belt change intervals.  I'm on Benefits as, I cannot work, due to my Disability so, only have a limited budget.  For the right car, FSH including a recent full belt change and good MOT, I can go to 2k but, everything has to be right as, I have to pay £600 for the Hand Controls I need to drive it.

Given what I have stated above, am I expecting too much (I'm not worried if it's a 2000 or 2003)?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Shaun.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2011, 01:30:41 by shaunb51 »

markspark

• Bolton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 December 2011, 03:02:52 »

oldest trick in the book trying to rush you into buying it (maybe im wrong)
If you want a good estate there is one in the forsale section on here well worth the money cost you more money tho but trouble free motoring

shaunb51

• South Wales
    • Cavalier Dip/Volvo 940
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2011, 00:25:58 »

oldest trick in the book trying to rush you into buying it (maybe im wrong)

I don't think your wrong on that, I have been stupid enough once before but as they say, "once bitten, twice shy".

If you want a good estate there is one in the forsale section on here well worth the money cost you more money tho but trouble free motoring

If this is the one your thinking of:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=96386.0

Then I can't agree more, stunning motor, great history, even low miles but, unfortunately, I cannot go that far especially as is just going to be a plaything for me.  Also, it has obvioulsy been brilliantly looked after and, to be honest, it deserves a better owner than I.

Within 6 months the sills/rear bumper would be scratched by my chair and the interior damaged, where I get my chair in/ out and other items ,especially if it's rainning and I need to get in/out quickly, things can happen.

It's not that I'm careless, I don't like ruinning my own stuff and get really "off" with myself, if I do, not just with a car but anything.  I was taught to look after what is yours.  If I could buy it, it would have whatever was needed when needed but, it REALLY needs to go to someone who is going to keep it as a Future Classic, I know Vauxhalls don't rate the same prices as some other brands but, it's deffinately something which needs a dedicated keeper, preferably with a garage, which I don't have.

oslo

• fareham hants, south coast
    • Omega V6 manual saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 December 2011, 00:20:38 »

I can't find anything in TIS directly .. but have found this in Autodata ..  clearly shows that from MY 97 onwards it is 4 yrs or 40,000 miles. Hope that helps

:)

Hi, I'd be interested in knowing what changed on the V6 engine in '97 to facilitate the shorter interval length, anyone ??

albitz

« Reply #18 on: 13 December 2011, 00:30:03 »

Collapsing tensioners costing Vauxhall a lot of money in warranty claims. ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 December 2011, 11:20:56 »

With regard to any cam belt change and road tax these are issues for the buyer, not the seller and we wont reduce the asking price of the vehicle on these points.

PMSL. The fact is, they reduce the value of the car. Can't expect to sell a car for top dollar if it needs a £400 cam belt change so it's very much an issue for the seller, IMHO. ;)

Let him stew for a while. There are other fish in the sea, and when he's had it sitting around a while his neck might get wound in a little. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

oslo

• fareham hants, south coast
    • Omega V6 manual saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 December 2011, 22:09:27 »

Haha....Yeah, undoubtedly but what I'm getting at is, why is the shorter interval length not applicable to pre '97 engines ??

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 December 2011, 22:20:27 »

Haha....Yeah, undoubtedly but what I'm getting at is, why is the shorter interval length not applicable to pre '97 engines ??

THey were probably out of warranty by the time the revert to 40K was instigated  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.