Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smoking starter motor earth  (Read 1183 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
smoking starter motor earth
« on: 20 October 2016, 19:18:37 »

I am still getting smoke from starter motor whenever I turn the engine over. I have checked & cleaned all wires all seem ok. its a 2.2dti & is there a earth wire on the gearbox area that may have been trapped when I jacked up to get the box higher. or will running an earth from starter motor to chassis sort it. this problem is holding me back from getting it back on the :-\ road

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
Re: smoking starter motor earth
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2016, 21:48:47 »

I am still getting smoke from starter motor whenever I turn the engine over. I have checked & cleaned all wires all seem ok. its a 2.2dti & is there a earth wire on the gearbox area that may have been trapped when I jacked up to get the box higher. or will running an earth from starter motor to chassis sort it. this problem is holding me back from getting it back on the :-\ road
  today i removed the wiring from starter motor & alternator & checked them right back to their source, all looks ok . i have read that a smoking s/m & getting a burning smell coming from it without doing damage to any of the feed wires is a strong indication of a fubbered s/motor & is irreparable. agree or disagree anybody.  :-\ :)

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2016, 21:56:15 »

I'm no expert ?? but if you have checked the wiring then it seems as though the starter has had it.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2016, 22:31:53 »

I'm afraid I have to agree: I had exactly that with mine and it isn't an easy job to replace, even if EssexBigAl does it for you. I did the technical bit - I made the coffee and did the swearing for him!
The worst bit and is responsible for the most colourful phrases is having to release the O/S engine mount and raise the engine.

I wish you well.....

on

powerslinky

« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2016, 06:53:32 »

I'm afraid I have to agree: I had exactly that with mine and it isn't an easy job to replace, even if EssexBigAl does it for you. I did the technical bit - I made the coffee and did the swearing for him!
The worst bit and is responsible for the most colourful phrases is having to release the O/S engine mount and raise the engine.

I wish you well.....

on

As I read it this is on a diesel omega  . . I can only advise from a V6 point of view ::)

Like most jobs on the V6  omega . . . if you have done it once , the next time is a lot easier.

It helps if the engine starter motor area is oil free.  Having done a starter motor change , I would suggest you have an assistant to pass you tools etc as you need them . I would probably do the next one in almost half the time it took me/us to do Ron's.

And that last sentence is not a reference to the Ronnettes song .
but you make a decent cuppa Ron  . . .you do /ron ron  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 22 October 2016, 06:56:02 by Essex Big Al »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2016, 07:26:11 »

Al, in all my years of teaching I had never heard that last line before (lying!).  :D

Ron.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2016, 17:39:24 »

I wish you well.....

dont look too bad on the 2.2td  & the heat shield is already off so i think its fairly easy.  should only take me two days. depends on my rheumatism . i have seen more of the bottom of the engine than ive seen of the steering wheel on this mig.  :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.