Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tin worm attack  (Read 1614 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Tin worm attack
« on: 21 October 2016, 12:09:00 »

Arrrrrrrgh.....
Just found a couple of bubbles of tin worm. Its just above the sill, at the rear, just above the rubber strip that runs along the length of the sill. And just in front of that black strip that follows the shape of the wheel arch, that the door rubber sits against when shut. How is that rubber sill strip held on, is it easy to remove, and more importantly, is it easy to put back.
Or is it best left and try to work above it, but I don't want to leave any tin worm behind :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Tin worm attack
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2016, 12:52:34 »

Simply unclips... but go easy :y

If it's evident there, don't be surprised to find more behind the wheel arch liner at the back of the sill or indeed under the sill cover...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2016, 13:22:55 »

The sill length door seal is an interference fit along its' length with small painted rivets as shown in the pic below. It simply pulls of with a reasonable tug. Grab the rubber (but not too close to the ends) and pull towards you.

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2016, 13:24:19 »

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2016, 13:39:05 »

Thanks fellas....will investigate :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2016, 14:01:34 »

Right...can see how the rubber unclips. Rust does not look too bad, but I will remove the sill covers. Is there any special technique to remove said covers. Had a search but did not find anything specific. I know there are plastic clips....but I don't want to break them :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2016, 14:06:55 »

Right...can see how the rubber unclips. Rust does not look too bad, but I will remove the sill covers. Is there any special technique to remove said covers. Had a search but did not find anything specific. I know there are plastic clips....but I don't want to break them :y
Steering on full lock, undo single torx screw under front end, knock forward. End cap has two push rivets  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2016, 17:26:11 »

Simply unclips... but go easy :y

If it's evident there, don't be surprised to find more behind the wheel arch liner at the back of the sill or indeed under the sill cover...

Wot he says  :y

I'm convinced that any tin worm in this area has come from inside (and working its way out). I'm not so sure how easy it is to inspect the inside area of the wheelarch on a saloon Omega, but the side foam pockets (behind the cubbyhole door) on the estate can easily be removed to see what's going on. On both of my estates I found rusty areas above and inside the wheelarch, despite the outside looking good.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2016, 21:26:36 »

There's a screw that holds the front wheel arch liner to the sill cover at the bottom of the front wing underneath the car, a couple of push-through plastic plastic rivets at the rear wheel arch at the other end of the sill panel. There are about 5 or 6 push-on plastic caps along the underneath of the sill. IIRC that is everything in the way of fastenings removed. Sitting facing the car you need to pull the sill towards you. Don't pull it down from one end or the other as the clips will break as they are brittle. Don't worry if you do as they can still be bought from Vx for about £2 each

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2016, 22:03:05 »

I like many people have found rust there and rightly assumed there would be more under the cover and was not surprised to find there was. but I managed to rub most of it down and treat it without any holes developing. and luckily I didn't manage to break any clips as several were already broken.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.