Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest  (Read 113028 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest
« Reply #285 on: 31 August 2015, 12:36:54 »

I think my 2.6 auto was a pretty healthy example of the marque. ........with a best of zero to sixty in 8.68 seconds in 137.60 metres.
So the 2.5 should be a shade quicker, as no compromised by the design decisions on the later engines (performance wise, around the CR)

Not sure why the 2.5 would be quicker than the 2.6......... the 2.5 has a book time of 9.2 to 9.5 seconds. the 2.6 has a book time of 8.2 seconds.
Completely ignore the book times, as we have all said several times before.

The 2.5 can easily beat 9.5s, and a standard 2.6 auto will never hit 8.2s.

It all depend on how speed distance and time are measured.

Using a hand held stopwatch and then glancing at the speedo I imagine even a glacial 2.0 auto could go 'sub 5'.... ::) ::) ::) ;)

However, the reality is somewhat different. :-\ :-\

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 31 August 2015, 14:19:03 »

...which is why I was doing it more scientific. As in film it and then ensure the time is started and finished bang on.

As for the 2.6 you'll have to do your own tests for that as I'm not going to buy one just to test the acceleration lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 31 August 2015, 16:27:57 »

As this thread is so very long I thought it best I sum up exactly how to do and how I did this test just in case there are any doubts...

low fuel
single driver
spare still in boot

flat piece of road
dry day
brake on. 2500rpm. brake off (the moment to start timing...I shout ''go'' in my video so I can time this accurately when reviewing the footage) and then floor it.
I drive with foot flat. stop the clock when my car hits 62 as that's when my cars doing 60.

9.44 seconds. and that was with my lard arse driving. take my weight off and its bang on the 9.2 mark. EXACTLY as the book states.

now whilst I amvery happy with this I still think there's a few tenths to be had.......I reckon a bit more practise and the ''torque braking'' I could perfect even further.

also I never even bothered pumping up the tyres. this perhaps could save me another tenth or so.

so after all this testing I am in agreement with TB that it well beats 9.5.

so where does this leave us (other than really bored and wishing the world would end  ;D)......I'd say its time for one of you armchair experts to do exactly the same with the 2.6 and see what it can do in comparison  :P ;) :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 01 September 2015, 20:10:29 »

Ok, for those who aren't bored to death  ;D a n interesting answer directly from Vauxhall. . . . .

In general the test weight definition for performance testing is curb weight of the base model (no options) + 200 kg. This is neither Opel/Vauxhall nor GM standard, but based on European Manufacturers’ “tradition” / agreement, aiming at representing an average Customer configuration. The 200kg stand for driver, luggage and average option content. Some Customer vehicles with many options may end up being heavier. “Curb weight” is defined as vehicle in “roadworthy” condition and tank filled to 90% but without driver, per EU regulations.

- do you test with one driver and no passengers             
Yes. One driver plus measurement equipment and ballast in case need (see definition above). At the end it doesn’t matter, as the total Test Weight is relevant.
- do you test with a full tank, half tank or near-empty   
as before: not relevant -> goal is to adjust the effective test weight to the target Test Weight (see definition above)
- do you remove the spare wheel
Just in case that we are not able to adjust to target Test Weight by other means
- do you test in 'lab conditions' where wind / weather are of no concern or do you use a test track open to the elements.
Tests are done on test track. Weather and wind are taken into account. We either use circular track or test in both directions.
In every case, test condition must be within a specific range. For example:
·         All road tests must be conducted at a certain ambient temperature range
·         Road tests may not be conducted when wind speeds average over a certain speed, with gusts no greater than another certain speed.
·         Track must be totally dry

Some other testing considerations:
·         Tires: Out of the OEM tire choice we use well balanced tires regarding dynamic attributes (handling, braking, rolling resistance, etc.) under different conditions. Customer vehicles may have other tires (Aftersales?) with other characteristics.
·         Test: we use very experienced test drivers that achieve optimum performance, incl. fast shifts (manual trans) and optimum launch
·         metric vs. imperial units: we rarely test 0-60mph but usually test 0-100 kph. 0-60 time is then determined analytically.
·         Over time there have been different approaches regarding what test result to publish: average of several vehicles & test periods or only best set out of them (still providing an average of several test runs to neutralize ambient conditions variations)

So, using this way, unless I can weigh my car I've no way of knowing how much over the curb weight the car is.

Or am i being simple?  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 01 September 2015, 20:30:12 »

Ok, for those who aren't bored to death  ;D a n interesting answer directly from Vauxhall. . . . .

In general the test weight definition for performance testing is curb weight of the base model (no options) + 200 kg. This is neither Opel/Vauxhall nor GM standard, but based on European Manufacturers’ “tradition” / agreement, aiming at representing an average Customer configuration. The 200kg stand for driver, luggage and average option content. Some Customer vehicles with many options may end up being heavier. “Curb weight” is defined as vehicle in “roadworthy” condition and tank filled to 90% but without driver, per EU regulations.

- do you test with one driver and no passengers             
Yes. One driver plus measurement equipment and ballast in case need (see definition above). At the end it doesn’t matter, as the total Test Weight is relevant.
- do you test with a full tank, half tank or near-empty   
as before: not relevant -> goal is to adjust the effective test weight to the target Test Weight (see definition above)
- do you remove the spare wheel
Just in case that we are not able to adjust to target Test Weight by other means
- do you test in 'lab conditions' where wind / weather are of no concern or do you use a test track open to the elements.
Tests are done on test track. Weather and wind are taken into account. We either use circular track or test in both directions.
In every case, test condition must be within a specific range. For example:
·         All road tests must be conducted at a certain ambient temperature range
·         Road tests may not be conducted when wind speeds average over a certain speed, with gusts no greater than another certain speed.
·         Track must be totally dry

Some other testing considerations:
·         Tires: Out of the OEM tire choice we use well balanced tires regarding dynamic attributes (handling, braking, rolling resistance, etc.) under different conditions. Customer vehicles may have other tires (Aftersales?) with other characteristics.
·         Test: we use very experienced test drivers that achieve optimum performance, incl. fast shifts (manual trans) and optimum launch
·         metric vs. imperial units: we rarely test 0-60mph but usually test 0-100 kph. 0-60 time is then determined analytically.
·         Over time there have been different approaches regarding what test result to publish: average of several vehicles & test periods or only best set out of them (still providing an average of several test runs to neutralize ambient conditions variations)

So, using this way, unless I can weigh my car I've no way of knowing how much over the curb weight the car is.

Or am i being simple?  ;D
Find yourself a scrap metal yard with a weighbridge - ask them to weigh the car & give you a printout :y (be ready for some ribbing and comments about leaving it with them............)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 01 September 2015, 20:32:07 »

I can officially tell you that the Omega is not a quick / fast car by any stretch of the imagination, so it isn't worth worrying about really.  ;) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 02 September 2015, 18:35:46 »

Thanks Andy. I may just do that!  :y

So, just so I've got this right... they take the kerb weight with no options (like a/c). and add 200kg,

in my instance parkers says its 1718kg. so adding 200kg is 1918kg.

So. if I got my car weighed and lets say it weighed 1800kg. I'd then jump in and make the total 1914kg..... I then need to just add an extra 4kg and then im ready to test.

have I got the theory right?

if so anyone know what I can expect my car to weigh? it has a/c.  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 02 September 2015, 18:47:02 »

Thanks Andy. I may just do that!  :y

So, just so I've got this right... they take the kerb weight with no options (like a/c). and add 200kg,

in my instance parkers says its 1718kg. so adding 200kg is 1918kg.

So. if I got my car weighed and lets say it weighed 1800kg. I'd then jump in and make the total 1914kg..... I then need to just add an extra 4kg and then im ready to test.

have I got the theory right?

if so anyone know what I can expect my car to weigh? it has a/c. :-\

How long is a piece of string?

Does it have a tow bar?

Is the car to be weighed without all fluids (Dry)?........or with oil and coolant etc..etc.

Is is difficult to get a definitive figure of what an individual car weighs unless you have access to a a set of accurate car scales like the magazines use, or a weighbridge.

« Last Edit: 02 September 2015, 18:52:14 by Doctor Opti »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 02 September 2015, 18:49:00 »

·         

What tyres are you using for your tests Webby?  ??? 

Maybe that's one for a whole new thread... "What tyres should The Bear use for his 0 - 60 tests?"  :D  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 02 September 2015, 18:51:44 »

·         

What tyres are you using for your tests Webby?  ??? 

Maybe that's one for a whole new thread... "What tyres should The Bear use for his 0 - 60 tests?"  :D  ;D

Don't get him started. ;D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 02 September 2015, 19:02:08 »

Haha!!! bog standard ditch finders, Tig  :y

Fair enough re the weight opti..... as andy says I can takeit and get it weighed.

no tow bar. just wondering off the top of my head what ''options'' would add weight  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 02 September 2015, 19:05:10 »

Haha!!! bog standard ditch finders, Tig  :y

Fair enough re the weight opti..... as andy says I can takeit and get it weighed.

no tow bar. just wondering off the top of my head what ''options'' would add weight :-\

Tow bar

Sunroof.

They are listed along with their weight in the owners manual.

STEMO

« Reply #297 on: 02 September 2015, 19:06:09 »

Did the CD player have a disc in?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 02 September 2015, 19:12:23 »

Did the CD player have a disc in?

Now..now...Webby is doing his best. :D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 02 September 2015, 19:15:45 »

I don't have an Omega owners manual because I don't own an Omega. ::)

However, according to the Signum owners manual (because I do own  a Signum) the sunroof weighs 13 KG and the 'towing equipment' 24 KG.

Interesting stuff. ::) :)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.